Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tuomo Syvänperä
Finland
Nahkela
Other (Non U.S.)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The german player is attacking and plays "Heinz Guderian", which would make it an automatic DR. Can I as the soviets play "Russian Tenacity" to make that an EX result?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Phelps
United States
Canal Fulton
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I say NO!

(of course I am Tuomo's opponent so my answer could be slightly biased). cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
Germany
Bochum
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Asyncritus wrote:
I say NO!

Rules say something like "if cards are conflicting, the last one played counts"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tuomo Syvänperä
Finland
Nahkela
Other (Non U.S.)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Asyncritus wrote:
I say NO!

Hey, no peeking!

My understanding would be that it is possible to trump it. The rules say that both players get to play one card before the attack with the attacker playing his first so that the defender has full knowledge of what's going on. But there was just something about the wording on those cards or something that got me a bit confused. Basically just the fact that the first card played says to play before the dice are rolled and it's an automatic DR. Now the other card says the same thing, but the dice are never actually rolled anymore. But maybe I'm just overcomplicating things.

Of course now that Tim's card play slightly changed, this didn't come up anymore. But I'm still interested.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
GangZda wrote:
Asyncritus wrote:
I say NO!

This is correct. Read the "Appropriate Timing" rule of section 5.0; heck there is even an example of play that applies exactly to the question asked!!!

So in this case the Soviet card (defender) was played afer the German card, so it trumps it.

The answer is : YES! The battle resul is now an "EX"

Note: I intend to put a change in the Heinz Guderian card in the next living rules in Jan 2012. The card can only be used if the Germans have an Armor combat shift in the battle to be affected.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Phelps
United States
Canal Fulton
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For those that missed it, my answer was in jest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frederic Bush
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
licinius wrote:
GangZda wrote:
Asyncritus wrote:
I say NO!

(of course I am Tuomo's opponent so my answer could be slightly biased). :cool:

This is correct. Read the "Appropriate Timing" rule of section 5.0; heck there is even an example of play that applies exactly to the question asked!!!

So in this case the Soviet card (defender) was played afer the German card, so it trumps it.

The answer is : YES! The battle resul is now an "EX"

Note: I intend to put a change in the Heinz Guderian card in the next living rules in Jan 2012. The card can only be used if the Germans have an Armor combat shift in the battle to be affected.

I'm not sure that card would be very useful. Winning battles in clear terrain is not difficult for the Germans in the early game and doesn't help them much, while getting a DR result in cities (the usual use of the card) is crucial to their advance.

How about changing the card to, you must have a panzer unit in the attack?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
fbush555 wrote:
How about changing the card to, you must have a panzer unit in the attack?

Nah.

Tanks are not very good vs cities. Granted, the counters represent ARMIES, and there is a sustantial number of infantry units in these, AND the hexes are 100km across, so the cities take only a proportionally small part of the space, but then they are the communication hub of the said hex, too...,

I much prefer "Armor shift". A Panzer in the attack is not restritive enough: in that case better to leave the card alone, not worth the change.

So don't go charging cities head-on with Guderian and your Panzers, skip around instead. Historically the few times panzergruppe Guderian did, they got a bloody nose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Nip
Hong Kong
Taipo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
licinius wrote:

Carl, I don't find any change about Heinz Guderian in the living rules in Feb 2012.
So, is it inadvertently omitted by GMT? Or, you changed your mind in the last second and wanted to leave the card as it was?

Many thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
free_planet wrote:
licinius wrote:

Carl, I don't find any change about Heinz Guderian in the living rules in Feb 2012.
So, is it inadvertently omitted by GMT? Or, you changed your mind in the last second and wanted to leave the card as it was?

Many thanks.

Indeed. I decided to leave the card "as is". enough help already for the Soviets in the second edition!!! whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.