Alphonso De la Red
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=2915

Good to have finally a lore dwarf hero...and Bifur's ability is really cool. I like the new possibilities in sphere mixing brought in with these cards (Narvi's belt was already cool...).

Dwaling is ok, I guess. But somehow,starting from the scholarly look, with the low threat and respectable stats, and that excellent ability (basically constantly getting Parting gifts, is he), Bifur appeals to me. modest
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Best thing about Dwalin is that I finally have a hero with which to replace Duncrap with. And being a Dwarf, Dwalin goes nicely into the Tactics/Spirit deck with Gimli, one that has Dwarven Axes in it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pawel Gutowski
Poland
Gdańsk
flag msg tools
mbmb
My first idea is to combine Dain with Thalin and Bifur:
- low starting threat
- high initial willpower - 5
- high initial defense - 3
- versatile beginning of the game - you can easily do not quest in first turn and you have awesome attack power
- free lore song in play (bifur ability acts almost like a song)
- thalin damages enemies
- dwarven allies get great boost from Dain
- no spirit = locations will be harder
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomas Riha
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really really don't like dwarfs. I've played so much blood bowl that I cant stand dwarfs. I like elfs.

So just give me a release date so that we can get this over and done with and get to the next quest cycle and start building that silvan deck.

This said I'm freekin thrilled abut the prospect of Dain, thalin and bifur. That deck is gonna be awsome and it will bring out so many dwarf cards that I really don't use at all atm. So this is gonna be awsome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Viktor H
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Love these sneakpeeks, but what I really would like is a release date.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Elias
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Bifur and Gloin are a powerhouse combo!
It'll be nice because we'll have 6 dwarf heroes now, enough for an all dwarf 2 player game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morris
Scotland
Harrogate
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
Join the BGG Folding @Home Team !!
badge
This user had more :gg: than sense
mbmbmbmbmb
Tolkien was pretty adamant that it should be dwarves, not dwarfs, despite what the dictionaries tell us. He seemed to have a lingering disappointment that it was not dwarrows.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent M
Canada
Burlington
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Igarka wrote:
Love these sneakpeeks, but what I really would like is a release date.

Same here!!! Like Fry says on Futurama: "Shut up and take my money!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonan Jello
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Somebody who thinks that feathers on dinosaurs would suddenly make them not-scary has never been chased by a goose.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the link, Alphonso!

Gorgeous artwork on the first card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bifur is good, maybe even too good given that there's already Dwarf enhancing cards in the game.
And it's the only hero appart from Bilbo that has different threat cost than the sum of his stats, this one costs LESS than that sum.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Adlington
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, we are talking about Tolkien's Dwarves

Dwarfs are stunted humans.....(looks at Hobbits and winks)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Saloff
United States
Edinboro
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
This is a rebellion, isn't it? I rebel.
badge
He's a card player, gambler, scoundrel. You'd like him.
mbmbmbmbmb
They are also called Dwarfs in Warhammer Fantasy, I think.

But yeah, in LotR it's 'Dwarves'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Irwin
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
With 2 defence and 4 health it feels like Dwalin is a much better defender than attacker. Worried I'd need to invest a whole lot of attachments (from other spheres) to get him to the point where he can kill an orc by himself. But I do love the idea of a spirit deck which actually benefits from those sneaky little low-threat orc patrols that come charging out, instead of having to worry about them. If I played with Frodo, then I guess Frodo could quest, take direct damage from an Orc attacker, and then Dwalin kills it and brings the threat back down straight away.

I really like Bifur - 7 threat is fantastic and I find Lore cards to be expensive to play so he seems like an easy way to get Lore cards onto the table earlier in the game. And then mid-game once the songs start coming out he'd be my "song guy". There's not much of a resource management sub-game in this version of Lord of the Rings - so actually I'd play him simply because I'd enjoy the added complexity it'd bring to resource management.

----------------------------
Just noticed the flavour text on Bifur: "And Winter comes after Autumn."

I'm a bit concerned that this knowledge constitutes Lore in Middle Earth ;-P

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart Rachemoss
United States
Silver City
New Mexico
flag msg tools
Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.
mbmbmbmbmb
Tony Irwin wrote:
Worried I'd need to invest a whole lot of attachments (from other spheres) to get him to the point where he can kill an orc by himself. But I do love the idea of a spirit deck which actually benefits from those sneaky little low-threat orc patrols that come charging out, instead of having to worry about them.

Blade of Gondolin x2 would be sweet. Increase his attack by 2 against Orcs and get 2 progress tokens when he destroys any enemy as well as the threat reduction when he destroys an Orc enemy.

The only Orcs he couldn't kill with a single blow would be:

Chieftan Ufthak
Dol Guldur Beastmaster
Dungeon Jailor
Orc Horse Thieves
Uruk Vanguard
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.