Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A mate of mine (who works for a wargames company) had a bit of a rant about the fact that the kind of games his company produces (miniature wargames rules) are on a website about boardgames. I can see his point as they are not pick up and play games. Perhaps they need thier own area (in the same way that Videogames do).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Shipley
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
the liberal unsavory type
mbmbmbmbmb
It isn't possible for everything to fit in neat categories and there are many types of games listed here that you could argure aren't boardgames. I'd support a specialized area for miniatures games (and the miniatures themselves), but it seems strange to complain when your game is listed somewhere people might look for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rshipley wrote:
It isn't possible for everything to fit in neat categories and there are many types of games listed here that you could argure aren't boardgames. I'd support a specialized area for miniatures games (and the miniatures themselves), but it seems strange to complain when your game is listed somewhere people might look for it.

It was a rant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
A mate of mine (who works for a wargames company) had a bit of a rant about the fact that the kind of games his company produces (miniature wargames rules) are on a website about boardgames. I can see his point as they are not pick up and play games. Perhaps they need thier own area (in the same way that Videogames do).

Aren't they basically a sub-class of wargames?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wifwendell wrote:
slatersteven wrote:

In the UK wargames are miniature games, and boardwargames are seen as slightly different. The point is that a boardwargame is still a board game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wade Nelson
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
wifwendell wrote:
slatersteven wrote:

In the UK wargames are miniature games, and boardwargames are seen as slightly different. The point is that a boardwargame is still a board game.

So... a boardwargame with poorly defined hexes?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Shipley
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To me, a real miniatures game has continuous (rather than discrete) movement and position. A game where you move your miniatures in hexes or squares is just a boardgame with nice pieces.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rshipley wrote:
To me, a real miniatures game has continuous (rather than discrete) movement and position. A game where you move your miniatures in hexes or squares is just a boardgame with nice pieces.

I would agree to a large extent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
Card games are also on here even though they don't have a board.

I don't have a problem with BGG being a general database for tabletop gaming regardless of if it's minatures, card games, war games, or more traditional board games with boards.

That said, for those interested in miniature gaming, a sub-forum would be a good idea like what they did with war games, abstract games, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Shipley
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyDollar wrote:
That said, for those interested in miniature gaming, a sub-forum would be a good idea like what they did with war games, abstract games, etc.

To do a good job, it may require something more like RPG Geek, which has different rules for how items are listed. It would be very useful to catalog the actual miniatures used in the games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Question everything
mbmbmbmbmb
red black wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
Perhaps they need thier own area (in the same way that Videogames do).

At least a sub-forum of their own would be nice. I like BGG but I think it's a very poorly organized hobby fora for the amount of content it covers.

And while we are at it, why not get rid of the ridiculous "Strategy Game" sub-domain and break it down into "Euro Game" and "Elaborate Game" (economic/civilization style games with detailed rules, ie 18XX, 7 Ages, Age of Renaissance, Advanced Civilization, Indonesia, Republic of Rome, Roads and Boats, etc).

The "Strategy Game" name is silly as all board games have strategy (well, most of them do), the category name says almost nothing about the game itself. Fortunately everyone on BGG mostly uses the "Strategy Game" label for "Euro Games", with a few war games like "Twilight Struggle" and "A Few Acres of Snow" sneaking in for some unknown reason.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
rshipley wrote:
JohnnyDollar wrote:

To do a good job, it may require something more like RPG Geek, which has different rules for how items are listed. It would be very useful to catalog the actual miniatures used in the games.

Point taken, but the same applies to CCG like M:TG, no? CCGs are also on BGG. These are also cataloged on a individual (e.g. per card) basis.

I suppose there could be miniaturegamegeek.com, collectiblecardgamegeek.com, etc

I wonder how M:TG fans use BGG and whether they could have advice for miniature gaming fans (and vice versa).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rshipley wrote:
JohnnyDollar wrote:

This is the sort of thing I am thinking of.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Shipley
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyDollar wrote:
rshipley wrote:

Point taken, but the same applies to CCG like M:TG, no? CCGs are also on BGG. These are also cataloged on a individual (e.g. per card) basis.

I suppose there could be miniaturegamegeek.com, collectiblecardgamegeek.com, etc

I wonder how M:TG fans use BGG and whether they could have advice for miniature gaming fans (and vice versa).

Listing all of the cards for a particular game isn't too hard and there probably are such lists under the various games.

BGG doesn't at present have a place to put a manufacturer of miniatures that doesn't also produce game rules. Or a way to list various lines of miniatures that a manufacturer might make.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Lowry
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:

So... he's insulted that his product is being potentially surfaced to people who might have a similar interest?

Or is he just allergic to the eurogamers?

Personally, I think it would be neat to have cardgamegeek.com and miniaturegamegeek.com as part of the family. Though, really, I'm just glad that the miniature games were included long before the idea of different 'subsites' was a gleam in Aldie's eye.

rshipley wrote:
JohnnyDollar wrote:

The idea of cataloging miniatures came up while RPGGeek was in development. I don't think they've gotten too far with figuring out how to make it practical, sadly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rindis wrote:
slatersteven wrote:

So... he's insulted that his product is being potentially surfaced to people who might have a similar interest?

Or is he just allergic to the eurogamers? ;)

To do a good job, it may require something more like RPG Geek, which has different rules for how items are listed. It would be very useful to catalog the actual miniatures used in the games.[/q]
The idea of cataloging miniatures came up while RPGGeek was in development. I don't think they've gotten too far with figuring out how to make it practical, sadly.[/q]

It was more a case of BGG is so shit because it has crap on it thats not a boardgame.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Coble
United States
Graham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
The Lead Cotillion - http://flintlocklaser.blogspot.com/
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:

It was more a case of BGG is so shit because it has crap on it thats not a boardgame.

Your mate sounds like an asshole.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Welcome to THE "Bizarro World" according to BGG: The "Projects" and here's a d so we aren't 'mistaken' that your concerns here is upon "Shoul" miniatures, unless that WERE their 'company name'. whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
flintlocklaser wrote:
slatersteven wrote:

Your mate sounds like an asshole.

He is a bit opinionated on a wide range of subjects.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jenny Nguyen
Australia
Bungarribee
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't understand, from his point of view, why he's ranting? Would it not just simply be some extra exposure? I mean, if I only had an interest in miniatures rule systems or even just miniatures themselves, there are plenty of websites that are more appropriate for finding out about these.

For the point of view of pure board gamers with no interest in miniatures or painting, I could maybe understand their frustration when they constantly see some delicious looking hybrid (by hybrid I'm talking about say, Super Dungeon Explore, Puppet Wars or Dreadfleet where assembly and clean up is required, and the game is produced by a company that primarily only produces miniatures) miniatures-board game floating in the hotness and become frustrated upon discovering the amount of initial effort that has to go in to the product before any playing can commence.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I play a lot of non-hex based miniature games.

My table is made of board.

Solved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Dearborn Heights
Michigan
flag msg tools
Fizzgig need food badly!
badge
Click on Fizzgig to feed him a tasty snack. Nom, Nom, Nom!
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
It was more a case of BGG is so [Edited for Content] because it has crap on it thats not a boardgame.

red black wrote:
At least a sub-forum of their own would be nice. I like BGG but I think it's a very poorly organized hobby fora for the amount of content it covers.

...and yet you're both users. There are other options. The fact is that you're both here is for a good reason. They pale in comparison. I won't be so presumptuous as to say its perfect, but it is the best online resource for this hobby at least in the states in my opinion. However if you both really think it sucks that bad, perhaps you can do better. Go for it and good luck with that. Offering suggestions is fine, but do us all a favor and withhold the hate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainwell
Michigan
flag msg tools
Mi cabasa esta muy verde
badge
Et in Vantasia ego
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like them to stay right where they are.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
In brightest day / In blackest night / No evil shall escape my sight / Let those who worship evil's might / Beware my power--Green Lantern's light!
mbmbmbmbmb
They should just get rid of the divisive titles altogether and make one unified site for geeks of all stripes.

At least, I think that's what a true geek would do.

whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.