John Hines
United States
Noblesville
Indiana
flag msg tools
I'm afraid the DEFLECTOR Shield is..... Operational!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm about to make the plunge into Dust Tactics and wanted to get the best set. I see the big boxed 2010 1st edition set and the new 2011 revised set online. The 2010 is a lot more expensive but looks bigger. What do you get in it that you don't in the revised set?
Which do you recommend and why?
thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ketchup61925 wrote:
I'm about to make the plunge into Dust Tactics and wanted to get the best set. I see the big boxed 2010 1st edition set and the new 2011 revised set online. The 2010 is a lot more expensive but looks bigger. What do you get in it that you don't in the revised set?
Which do you recommend and why?
thanks

I recommend the old set because:

It's better bang for your buck, for $20 more, you get 2 more walkers and the 9 terrain tiles, and a few other extra goodies.

It's going out of print. It will be very hard to find soon, and buying the pieces to it individually will be way more expensive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Stahler Jr.
United States
Wheelock
Vermont
flag msg tools
Check out Truesight and other award-winning fiction at davidstahlerjr.com!
mbmbmbmbmb

Both are awesome and make for a very complementary purchase.

There are fewer units in the Revised Core Set, but what's in there really rounds things out--bigger (in terms of armor, weaponry) though smaller (fewer soldiers in a squad) infantry units, smaller walker units to complement the medium mechs in the original Core Set, extra dice, terrain pieces and maps, updated rulebook.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Leoncavallo
United States
Rockland
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got the best of both worlds, my Mom got me the revised set, while my wife got me the 1st edition set. Should I ignore the rulebook for the 1st edition and just go with the Revised RB?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nyys wrote:
I got the best of both worlds, my Mom got me the revised set, while my wife got me the 1st edition set. Should I ignore the rulebook for the 1st edition and just go with the Revised RB?

Yes, use the revised set rules. Also download the FAQ off the FFG website.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thel Schuhart
United States
Sterling
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I picked up the original Core set when the game was released, played for a bit, then ebayed it!

I picked up the revised Core set since and have been playing with those pieces, awaiting the new rule book for the Table Top miniatures version.

A few things. The models and dice you get in the original core set are great. Its a pretty good deal in terms of cash for models value.

The big card board tiles are awful! I hated them. They were clunky, junky and sort of a pain. The game "mats" in the revised core set are just great in terms of ease of use. In my opinion.

The rule book in the revised core set is more complete, but, the rules are downloadable via PDF if you like anyway.

If you are just getting into the game, either are fine really. You get what you need to start playing. My feeling is the revised core set is more thought out than the original core set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.