Dust Tactics» Forums » General

Subject: There MUST be a Solo way! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
The Orientalist
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hello All,

After much deliberation, I thought it is time to go ahead and buy the Revised Core set.
Now, I don't want to play it with a friend, not straight away anyway. I usually learn to play the games by myself and only after I've learn every rule and each detail I call over a friend to play together the thing.

So, my question is: what is the best way to play Dust Tactics Solo? It should not be hard. I admit I've never played a wargame solo before. It does feel a bit odd though, doesn't it? ...

Even so, I will love to hear and I will be indeed in debt for any suggestions for a Solo play of Dust Tactics. I am dying to start playing it!

Many thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thiago Aranha
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I don't think there's really any secret, and playing Dust solo is really less weird than playing most boardgames solo, since nothing in Dust is really hidden from the opponent, other than the overall strategy in a player's mind.

Just play both sides in turns, trying to keep the two strategies separated. If you're starting with just the Revised Set, there won't be enough units involved to get you very confused. By playing solo you can practice some of the rules like cover, movement and line of sight, and learn the specific abilities and attack characteristics of each unit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Smith
United Kingdom
Gillingham
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To be honest I don't think it is as you will be aware of the other sides plans, you can't make a mistake or fall for your own traps. One way would be to randomly draw the unit card and take its turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thiago Aranha
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
But then you won't really be learning the game, since a huge part of it is learning the right time in which to activate each unit. A solo session will be a flawed session, there's no way around it, so there's no point in creating extra gimmicks to try and get around a problem while creating others. From my experience, a "secret" plan is one of the least important factors in a Dust match. It's very hard to come up with something that genuinely surprises your opponent, as you can easily see what's coming if you're paying attention.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Major Mishap wrote:
To be honest I don't think it is as you will be aware of the other sides plans, you can't make a mistake or fall for your own traps. One way would be to randomly draw the unit card and take its turn.

In this way you're still aware of the plan - the plan is, "I'm going to pick what unit I'm going to use randomly," and that is just as easy to exploit.

You'll learn a lot more playing it without the randomness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Smith
United Kingdom
Gillingham
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
...or why not do like every other wargamer would, read the rules and then learn how to play with an opponant?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Orientalist
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Oh dear me, is this game supposed to be SIMPLISTIC?! I've read quite a few reviews in which the reviewers were kinda sad because of the simplicity of the game.

OK!

I am reading the rulebook for two days now and I still have NO IDEA when I am in cover, what are the bonuses for soft / hard cover, WHEN can I shot, not to speak about the very "simplistic" LOS ("see, there is a bullet / round circle in each square, now that's the LOS, how simple can it be?!" - not SO simple, really!).

This game is a chore to learn by myself. I am disappointed. I was really anxious to try a light wargame. Even Warhammer Fantasy is lighter than this. And I play Warhammer Fantasy a lot.

OK, now back to read the Dust Tactics rulebook. What a mess.

P.S. Thanks to all for your responses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thiago Aranha
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, don't worry. We're here to help. If you have any specific questions, ask away!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Orientalist
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
For example, in the Core Set Revised there are some double-sided terrain squares but NOWHERE in the rulebook can I find what these terrain squares means and what represent the symbols on some of them.

How is that possible?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thiago Aranha
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you talking about these squares?:

They are terrain squares. You place them on the board according to the map in each scenario. They block movement and line-of-sight for all units. The reverse side, which is just a picture of rubble, is not really used in the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ewain .
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
I usually solo this game, and had the same problems after a few games - there's no element of surprise since I know the plan for both sides as well as the objectives...

Then I realised I'm playing Dust Tactics.

These are crack troops in exactly the situation they have been trained for. A tactical situation, not a strategic one -that part of the game was over when the last troop was placed on the board.

So what does a tactical crack trooper do in action?
Adapt and Survive of course
All the time.
So I play my units, then switch sides and have a slightly different game to win, with a new set of options compared to the last round.

For extra fun and confusion you can also choose to let the opposing unit closest to the last one activated decide to activate Now instead of waiting for 'the other player's' turn. (I'm playing original rules, so this may already be allowed in the revised set).

/E
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thiago Aranha
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ewain wrote:
A tactical situation, not a strategic one -that part of the game was over when the last troop was placed on the board.

Indeed, I feel most of the strategy takes place before the firing starts. What units are you going to use? Will you hit your enemy from a distance with several long-range tanks? Or will you gang up on him with lots of fast close-range troops? Will you flank him or wait for him inside the building? These are all key decisions that are mostly out in the open by the time the 1st round is done.

Of course there are still tactical decisions to be made throughout the game. Do you retreat after being bloodied? Do you dettach your hero from his squad? Do you ignore the enemy and try to dash towards an objective? But mostly these are decisions that are made naturally according to the flow of the match, so not really "secret plans" that the enemy can't know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nerds call me
United States
N Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out the Mythic Role Playing to help run the opponent's side. Wargamers have had great success with this product and it can also be used for GMless roleplaying.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Smith
United Kingdom
Gillingham
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Orientalist wrote:
Oh dear me, is this game supposed to be SIMPLISTIC?! I've read quite a few reviews in which the reviewers were kinda sad because of the simplicity of the game.

OK!

I am reading the rulebook for two days now and I still have NO IDEA when I am in cover, what are the bonuses for soft / hard cover, WHEN can I shot, not to speak about the very "simplistic" LOS ("see, there is a bullet / round circle in each square, now that's the LOS, how simple can it be?!" - not SO simple, really!).

This game is a chore to learn by myself. I am disappointed. I was really anxious to try a light wargame. Even Warhammer Fantasy is lighter than this. And I play Warhammer Fantasy a lot.

OK, now back to read the Dust Tactics rulebook. What a mess.

P.S. Thanks to all for your responses.

I don't think that you are actually reading the rules and just skimming them. Another problem is that you might be having trouble adjusting from a completely different style of rules. Everything you need to know about corner cover is on page 13 complete with several examples, DT really is one of the easiest games on the planet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.