R Moore
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
This user loves Easter eggs.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi everyone. Some of you know that I run a board game club at a school. I am also the School Guidance Counselor and the Homeless Liaison at the same school.

Recently, we have had 3 families at my school lose everything they own to house fires. Here is a news article that mentions some details of one of the families: http://www.mlive.com/news/flint/index.ssf/2011/12/flint_fami...

I am writing this here because I know that many people here are kind and some of you may have the desire to donate. If you have an annual Christmas donation recipient, I do not want to detract from that. But if you don't usually give around the holidays, or if you have been thinking a way of making the world a better place, please consider this.

What I am asking from all my friends (including you ) is this; gift certificates for clothing stores & food donations. If folks have it on their heart to donate check or cash, fabulous. What I was thinking is that people from this site might have a game or two siting around that they were thinking might make a good gift but don't know who to give it to, consider giving to these kids.

Any donations can be sent to my school, GBA (address is at the bottom of the linked page) care of me, Ryan. If you would like to specify a family, feel free to, otherwise I will separate and divide gifts as we have been doing all week.

So here are the details:

Family 1: Mom & Dad, 4 Boys (age: 13 ,11, 9 & 2 months)

Family 2: Mom & Dad 2 Girls (age 9 & 7) 2 Boys (age 4 & 2)

Family 3:Mom & Girl (12 yrs)

And I know how positive you all are, even if you wanted to send a New Years greeting from across the world, to know that someone that you don't know is thinking of and praying for you could be comforting.

Edit: These were three separate fires in the general Flint, MI area. All of these kids (of age) go to my school.

A donation of $20 was pledged to cover shipping costs. I'd like to use this $20 along side someone who believes they have the perfect games for one or some of these families. It's not just about survival, I want these kids to feel blessed. You people are great.

Update: A fellow FTLer just donated $100 into my paypal account (GM me if you'd like it). I am almost in tears. This money will go directly to a family as we continue to examine needs and divide supplies. You people are awesome.

update: There has now been a geeklist auction benefit created here: **CLOSED** Thank you for your donations and bids!!! Benefit Auctions - Three Families with Kids Lose Everything to Fire by
Mrs. Kristin L. Johansen
United States
Mountain Grove
Missouri
flag msg tools
Happy Holidays!
badge
I swear on my pretty floral bonnet...
mbmbmbmbmb
. You should go check it out... if only to say thanks to the creator of the list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mrs. Kristin L. Johansen
United States
Mountain Grove
Missouri
flag msg tools
Happy Holidays!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: 3 Familes at my school lost everything to fire.
I wish I could help! I have just $0.14 in my PayPal, $0.00 in my account, and not enough cash left to pay my electric bill or put gas in the van or else I would.

Is there anyway I could get some advice from Cate and then try hosting a FTL benefit auction for the families with the proceeds divided equally amongst them? I could offer some kid games for that, and I would gladly give my time to organize it, contact people, etc. I wish I could do more than this, but it's all I can think of to be of any help at all, besides prayer and well wishes, of course.

I do some have clothes, board games (of course) and toys my kids have outgrown (girls age 14, 12 and boy age 10), but I have no way to afford shipping it to them. If we did an auction, maybe we could put some of the money towards exact shipping costs as I can surely find a box and packing supplies around here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: 3 Familes at my school lost everything to fire.
oh noes, they all lived in the same house?
I'm not working and money is kind of tight for gifts for my family
wish I could help
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R Moore
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
VikingPrincess wrote:
.. all I can think of to be of any help at all, besides prayer and well wishes, of course.
.. If we did an auction, maybe we could put some of the money towards exact shipping.

Great ideas! I think that if we did an auction, maybe the best way to spend the money would be a clothing gift certificate.

Also, really cool news. A fellow BGG who wishes to remain anonymous has just offered to donate $20, specifically to shipping costs.

Local clothing donations have been good... and the baby has more previously loved cribs than any one baby could ever use. What I think you lot would be good at is finding nice new or almost new board games that you would think fit each age group or family.

If you have such an item, let me know and I can arrange to ship and deliver said items with the help of previously mentioned donation.

If there is any concern about the legitimacy of this request, please refer to the news article above and my work site page linked above. You can call me at the school and ask to speak directly to me. I can write you a thank you on our school's letterhead if you want tax benefits for a donation, etc.. Totally legit.

Thank you all!

-Ryan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R Moore
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
metzjames wrote:
wish I could help

Three different fires. On top of that another family just got evicted and there's been some life ending violence recently in our families. This has all happened within the space of a month.

Tough times this season.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beans
United States
Overland Park
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oliphant wrote:
metzjames wrote:
wish I could help

Three different fires. On top of that another family just got evicted and there's been some life ending violence recently in our families. This has all happened within the space of a month.

Tough times this season.

This sounds absolutely horrible. I may not have much, but I will see about getting a small box put together just to help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mrs. Kristin L. Johansen
United States
Mountain Grove
Missouri
flag msg tools
Happy Holidays!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oliphant wrote:
VikingPrincess wrote:
.. all I can think of to be of any help at all, besides prayer and well wishes, of course.
.. If we did an auction, maybe we could put some of the money towards exact shipping.

Great ideas! I think that if we did an auction, maybe the best way to spend the money would be a clothing gift certificate.

Also, really cool news. A fellow BGG who wishes to remain anonymous has just offered to donate $20, specifically to shipping costs.

Local clothing donations have been good... and the baby has more previously loved cribs than any one baby could ever use. What I think you lot would be good at is finding nice new or almost new board games that you would think fit each age group or family.

If you have such an item, let me know and I can arrange to ship and deliver said items with the help of previously mentioned donation.

If there is any concern about the legitimacy of this request, please refer to the news article above and my work site page linked above. You can call me at the school and ask to speak directly to me. I can write you a thank you on our school's letterhead if you want tax benefits for a donation, etc.. Totally legit.

Thank you all!

-Ryan

If I have your go-ahead, then, I'll GeekMail Cate for guidelines and start up an auction thread for it, encouraging people to donate games or gaming-like things to put up for the auction.

And I'm more than happy to send what I've got that the kids might be able to use if somebody (or somebodies) and/or the auction can cover the shipping. My son especially is growing like a weed, and I just had to use the last money I had for some new clothes at the thrift store and two pairs of pants at the 'real' store since they had nothing for him at the thrift store.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R Moore
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
VikingPrincess wrote:
Oliphant wrote:
VikingPrincess wrote:

Thank you all!

-Ryan

If I have your go-ahead, then, I'll GeekMail Cate for guidelines and start up an auction thread for it, encouraging people to donate games or gaming-like things to put up for the auction.

And I'm more than happy to send what I've got that the kids might be able to use if somebody (or somebodies) and/or the auction can cover the shipping. My son especially is growing like a weed, and I just had to use the last money I had for some new clothes at the thrift store and two pairs of pants at the 'real' store since they had nothing for him at the thrift store.

Kristin, YES! That would be awesome. You most certainly have my permission/blessing whatever to set that up! You rock. As for the clothes, hang on for a sec with those. We are getting a lot of good clothes locally donated from neighbors and ministries and what not. If someone has a few new games that they'd think would be perfect for the families that's what I'll use our shipping donation on. If no one does then I'd love to get back at you with those clothes. Would that be alright?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mrs. Kristin L. Johansen
United States
Mountain Grove
Missouri
flag msg tools
Happy Holidays!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oliphant wrote:
VikingPrincess wrote:
Oliphant wrote:
VikingPrincess wrote:

Thank you all!

-Ryan

Kristin, YES! That would be awesome. You most certainly have my permission/blessing whatever to set that up! You rock. As for the clothes, hang on for a sec with those. We are getting a lot of good clothes locally donated from neighbors and ministries and what not. If someone has a few new games that they'd think would be perfect for the families that's what I'll use our shipping donation on. If no one does then I'd love to get back at you with those clothes. Would that be alright?

That is absolutely fine with me. I don't have any new games, but I could throw in some of the kids' games and toys that they don't play with much anymore if we do ship anything from me.

I will GM Cate right now to see what I need to do. And trust me, this is the least I can do. People help me all the time, especially here on BGG and some friends on RPoL, so me running an auction to give back is absolutely nothing. I promise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R Moore
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nattitude wrote:

This sounds absolutely horrible. I may not have much, but I will see about getting a small box put together just to help.

I can't wait to see what you've got in mind! Every bit is so appreciated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mrs. Kristin L. Johansen
United States
Mountain Grove
Missouri
flag msg tools
Happy Holidays!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cate has already replied. What a sweetheart! I am going to model this benefit auction after the first one of hers I saw and participated in.

She recommends putting the best games at the top. I don't have any that I feel would be good headliners, so everybody, please GM me with any game you would be willing to offer along with at least a sentence regarding its completeness and condition, and let me know if you will cover shipping to the winner or if the winner will be responsible. If the latter, please include your zip code so people can calculate charges. Also, I will need to know if you will be willing to ship to other countries just in case. Thank you so much in advance to anyone willing to help!

Ryan, how long would you like the auction to run? I know having money sooner rather than later is what these families need, but with it being so close to Christmas, I'm not sure one that lasts just a few days would be best. I honestly have no idea what the right choice is for this.

Also, in addition to Red Cross, make sure the Salvation Army, Goodwill, and any other thrift stores and especially any council of churches or ministerial alliances are aware of the situation. Many of those organizations have funds already, but churches in particular can ask for help during offerings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R Moore
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
VikingPrincess wrote:
Cate has already replied. What a sweetheart! I am going to model this benefit auction after the first one of hers I saw and participated in.

She recommends putting the best games at the top. I don't have any that I feel would be good headliners, so everybody, please GM me with any game you would be willing to offer along with at least a sentence regarding its completeness and condition, and let me know if you will cover shipping to the winner or if the winner will be responsible. If the latter, please include your zip code so people can calculate charges. Also, I will need to know if you will be willing to ship to other countries just in case. Thank you so much in advance to anyone willing to help!

Ryan, how long would you like the auction to run? I know having money sooner rather than later is what these families need, but with it being so close to Christmas, I'm not sure one that lasts just a few days would be best. I honestly have no idea what the right choice is for this.

Also, in addition to Red Cross, make sure the Salvation Army, Goodwill, and any other thrift stores and especially any council of churches or ministerial alliances are aware of the situation. Many of those organizations have funds already, but churches in particular can ask for help during offerings.

Do whatever is in your heart for the auction. Christmas is too near to make that any kind of target so just do what you think would bless them the most.

And thank you, yes good suggestions. Some of my biggest allies as the homless Liaison have been out local school district, the Flint Journal for the story, Old Newsboys of Flint and Catholic Charities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mrs. Kristin L. Johansen
United States
Mountain Grove
Missouri
flag msg tools
Happy Holidays!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a brief explanation for the auction ready, but I will GM it to you for your approval. Mostly I copied nearly all of your introductory post here for explanation and links.

No problem on the suggestions. In my old church I used to be really big in the disaster area, collecting donations, running people here and there if they couldn't drive, manning phones to call around and see who could help, etc. This is just the kind of thing I love to do.

I think I'll go to Tuesday or Wednesday if you agree. That's a little over a week if we can get it up tonight, giving a few days for people to start donating items, plus people can spend their Christmas money on some good games and a good cause all at the same time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R Moore
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup. I saw it, I love it! Put it up whenever you feel good about it. Thank you so much!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mrs. Kristin L. Johansen
United States
Mountain Grove
Missouri
flag msg tools
Happy Holidays!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oliphant wrote:
Yup. I saw it, I love it! Put it up whenever you feel good about it. Thank you so much!

I was hoping we'd get some donations to start us off, but since we haven't, I'll just start it now with what I've got. Hopefully some offerings will trickle in. Surely the FTLers can come up with a game or two each, hopefully ones people will be willing to bid up, to give to help these families.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mrs. Kristin L. Johansen
United States
Mountain Grove
Missouri
flag msg tools
Happy Holidays!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here it is, and I put 11 things up so far. Please, everyone, let's do what we can to add new items to help these families!

http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/91077/benefit-auctions-thr...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R Moore
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
VikingPrincess wrote:
Here it is, and I put 11 things up so far. Please, everyone, let's do what we can to add new items to help these families!

http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/91077/benefit-auctions-thr...

It looks fabulous! Thank you so much!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mrs. Kristin L. Johansen
United States
Mountain Grove
Missouri
flag msg tools
Happy Holidays!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You are most welcome, but I promise it is no problem at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Silvertongue
Ukraine
Chernivtsi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry to hear of the disaster, and Ryan and Kristin - good job!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R Moore
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey I just wanted to thank everyone for helping out with this. We wound up getting over $3000 from various individuals. BGG members made up more than 10% of that. We got so much more in food and clothes donations as well.

Thank you all for being so amazing. The families are all situation in new places now. It's a tough world, but it's always made better by kind and caring individuals.

Peace.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Silvertongue
Ukraine
Chernivtsi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hope they are safe now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.