Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Nomikos
Canada
Kingston
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a great game. This variant is to prevent some abuse of the rule around starting a new building.

You can move your Architect (starting a new building) in any of the following conditions:
i. Your architect is out of play (beginning of the game).
ii. Your architect is in a building with at least one contribution (yours or another player's).
iii. This is the only option available in your turn.

Case (ii) prevents a player from moving his architect continuously from an empty building to another, and thus resulting in a fast and unsatisfying game. The absence of case (ii) does not "break" the game, but makes it very dull if someone decides to abuse it.
By the way, if someone decides to just keep moving his architect from empty buildings, he is not going to win (he just messes up the game for the other players).

Paul
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philippe Beaudoin
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for this Paul. We never bothered adding it in since, as you mention, it's pretty much guaranteed you'll lose the game.

That said, moving quickly may be worth doing once in a while to cut someone's group off while hoarding some cubes. Plus, with your rules, if you picked an uninteresting building you're not stuck on it. Granted, if someone abuses quick movement the game can become a bit boring. Therefore I suggest that you play without this rule unless there happens to be a game-breaker in your group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabrizio Paoli
Italy
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you really sure that if a player continuosly moves his architect he his going to lose the game?
I played Quebec for the first time yesterday. After 2 centuries I was leading, the other two players being about 20 points behind me.
I was also the one with more stars on the board and with the largest group of buildings (almost all with 3 stars).
I was tempted to quickly move my architect from building to building in order to bring the game to an end.
At the end I did not do that, because I felt it would not have been fun.
BTW: I nevertheless won the game, but just by one point!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Lemay
Canada
Montréal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I did not see your game, but I cannot see how you can win a game if your only move for the 2 last centuries are to move your architect.

Comet

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philippe Beaudoin
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're the only player going for a quick ending you will not be able to speed up the game that much. I'd be really surprised if it paid off in the end.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.