Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Wood
United States
Darien
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking for an discovery game. Which of these would you recommend and why?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
Neither Entdecker nor Mississippi Queen are really exploration games, so I guess that leaves Lost Valley.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Groth
United States
Appleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Mississippi Queen, in part because of the way the river develops with the race. So there is an element of discovery but it isn't really an exploration game.

If you do play this game take a look at the rules for the NPC boat in the Black Rose expansion. This is a marked improvement in the game, and doesn't really require purchase of the expansion, just designate one of the boats to be the Rose. The expansion is difficult to find these days.

I haven't played the other two games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Rice
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is an element of exploration in Neue Entdecker but you'll get a greater feeling of exploration from Lost Valley and perhaps even more so from Goldland if you can find a copy. Mississippi Queen isn't about exploration - it is totally a race that the leader never knows which way the river will turn...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Depends on what you mean by "exploration" as others have said. I prefer the Old Entdecker->Lost Valley->New Entdecker.

Goldland isn't worth what you are going to have to pay for it, as it is long OOP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wood
United States
Darien
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, discovery is the operative word I was looking for, instead of exploration. I've edited my op to show it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
Don't fall in love with me yet, we only recently met
mbmbmbmbmb
I played Lost Valley once and it was awesome. Mississipi Queen is a fun-enough race game but doesn't have much of a discovery feel. I'll throw Tikal into the mix too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lou Moratti
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Chris: I'd say Entdecker and I have it for trade. I'll trade you that for Jambo and the expansions you have straight up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.