Subject: regarding the advanced rule for duplicate objectives rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Charles Aguis
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
I just went through all the objective cards and realized that there are no duplicates in the gardener and plot objective decks, since the colors are all different for the same TYPE of objectives. The panda deck does have duplicate objectives but you still need to spend action points to move the panda and collect the sections needed. This advanced rule dosn't make sense to me. What am I missing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Isn't the advanced rule for completed objectives. So if you pull an objective card and that objective is already achieved based on how the board looks at that point in the game, then you are supposed to discard and pull another objective.

Don't have the rules in front of me, but that is what I remember.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
I just read them and yes, that's right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Aguis
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Falcons wrote:
Isn't the advanced rule for completed objectives. So if you pull an objective card and that objective is already achieved based on how the board looks at that point in the game, then you are supposed to discard and pull another objective.

Don't have the rules in front of me, but that is what I remember.
I think I understand where my confusion lies. Thanks for the reply.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Jimenez
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
"ADVANCED PLAYERS RULE (VARIANT)
If a player picks an objective card already completed in the bamboo garden, he must discard it and picks a new objective card of the category of their choosing."

First, on what my gaming partner and I like about games, this is a must have. It's just not fun for everyone if you draw an objective card and it's already completed (based on the current state of the board). With only 9 objectives to complete (for the 2 of us), getting a freebie off the draw just owes too much to luck.

Second, I'm hoping "in the bamboo garden" doesn't include the player boards. The English rules seem to make a distinction between the garden and the player boards under the Gardener section. You could be caught with a set of panda objectives that can't be completed if you feed the panda a lot then start drawing panda cards. I haven't really thought about similar situations with the other two types of objectives, but they can be changed: more land can be added and bamboo can be grown and eaten. But once you start acquiring panda stomach credits, they never go away except due to a panda objective card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafael Lima
Brazil
flag msg tools
mb
This is from the FAQ

Advanced variant
• When a player draws an objective card that is already fulfilled by the current game state,
it is discarded (that includes Panda objectives)
• If this happens, the player immediately draws a new objective (of any type) and
continues discarding until he reaches a non-fulfilled objective.
• The discarded objectives are put back under the pile they came from.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Orion Harrison
United States
Glens Falls
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
RSanzzio wrote:
This is from the FAQ

Advanced variant
• When a player draws an objective card that is already fulfilled by the current game state,
it is discarded (that includes Panda objectives)

mgamer72 wrote:
I'm hoping "in the bamboo garden" doesn't include the player boards. The English rules seem to make a distinction between the garden and the player boards under the Gardener section. You could be caught with a set of panda objectives that can't be completed if you feed the panda a lot then start drawing panda cards.

Sorry to bump a really old thread; I just came looking for the exact dilemma that Mark Jimenez ran into. I rolled "lightning" on the weather die a few times and, having no panda objectives, I just moved him around to pinks or yellows thinking that they were more rare and I could always draw panda objectives later and more easily fulfill them. I also ate a few more because that was the way to meet my gardener objectives.

Later in the game, I had something like two pinks, three yellows, and a green, and no panda objectives. I could only complete the meager 3-point "two green bamboo" panda card. I had to return half the panda objective deck before I drew one.

This seems like a bug. The FAQ suggests that they purposely did not patch it, and you can literally lock yourself out of completing 2/3 of the objectives in the game just because you rolled one too many lightnings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.