9 Posts

Arkham Horror» Forums » Variants

Subject: First made item - Feedback wanted rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
e Bentl
Australia
flag msg tools
Hey all, just picked up Arkham Horror last Friday and decided I'd have a go at using Strange Eons to create content from Lovecraft's stories. So far I have only done one card from 'The Picture in the House' would love some feedback on whether it is too under/over powered or needs clarifications or anything else

Regnum Congo (Tome)
Movement: Exhaust and spend 3 movement points to make a Lore (-2) check. If you pass lose 2 Sanity and discard the Tome, you may choose to devour any human enemy you defeat restoring Stamina up to their Toughness value instead of taking them as a trophy

To clarify 'human' here refers to the Cultist, Witch, Madman, High Priest and Warlock. Figured the card was probably too wordy without specifying. Considered also making it that you could devour an ally to gain stamina
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Mc Cabe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why . . . I dream of things that never were and ask why not
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think it's overpowered; it's just a new way of restoring stamina without spending money. I'm not so sure I want the world saved from Cthulhu and his minions badly enough to have known cannibals running around loose after we've all survived. It just seems a bit too gruesome.

By devoured, I guess the chit would be removed from the game, rather than going back in the monster cup. That would be overpowered, because cultists, maniacs and witches are all softballs at one hit point.

The warlock would also be problematical. I guess the investigator could choose between restoring stamina and gaining two clues, certainly not both. But the Tome is getting more wordy by the minute, because the warlock would need a special explanation.

If nothing else, though, it certainly isn't going to be misnamed when it's placed in the Unique Item deck.

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiwaz Tyrsfist
United States
Gladstone
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
Yay, Overtext bought with supporter GG!
badge
Supporter #3170 - I hope the bonus gets high enough that I can buy GeekBadge Overtext!
mbmbmbmbmb
eBentl02 wrote:
Hey all, just picked up Arkham Horror last Friday and decided I'd have a go at using Strange Eons to create content from Lovecraft's stories. So far I have only done one card from 'The Picture in the House' would love some feedback on whether it is too under/over powered or needs clarifications or anything else

Regnum Congo (Tome)
Movement: Exhaust and spend 3 movement points to make a Lore (-2) check. If you pass lose 2 Sanity and discard the Tome, you may choose to devour any human enemy you defeat restoring Stamina up to their Toughness value instead of taking them as a trophy

To clarify 'human' here refers to the Cultist, Witch, Madman, High Priest and Warlock. Figured the card was probably too wordy without specifying. Considered also making it that you could devour an ally to gain stamina

So, I like the idea, but I see a problem with it. Mainly, it's giving you a permanent power, right? But you discard the card. That makes it a bit complex, and people might forget things, especially rules things, related to it.

What I'd do here is take a page from the long term effect spells from King In Yellow, Open the Third Eye, Call of Azure Flame, and Summon the Beast Within.

It's a spell, you cast it as normal, with a cost, and it gives you an effect card. Then, during upkeep, you can choose NOT to refresh the spell, and keep the effect without recasting.

Then you make an effect card for the spell, and it has the rules for Eating the humanoid monsters/allies for stamina.

Also, I think it should be, Eat a humanoid monster, gain stamina equal to it's toughness, lose 1 sanity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
e Bentl
Australia
flag msg tools
Thanks for the feedback guys, Will work on the clarifications and I see your problem with discarding the item and also need to think about the appropriateness of the card. All things to think about, both for this and future creations
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul W
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It's got some potential, but it introduces two non-standard terms, which is always a red flag for me. 'Human' is the first one that's difficult to resolve as already noted. Although it wouldn't cover quite the same set of monsters, perhaps "moon symbol monster with toughness up to 2 (3? 4?)" would work?

The use of the term "devour" is also problematic...as that's a specific term used only for the elimination of player characters. I think it's there for flavor, but should probably instead say something like "when you defeat an X (whatever monster wording you choose) you may choose to return the monster to the cup and restore stamina equal to its toughness instead of taking it as a trophy".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Grouch
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Might be appropriate to tie this in with Black Goat and have user take a Corruption card, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
e Bentl
Australia
flag msg tools
bill_andel wrote:
Might be appropriate to tie this in with Black Goat and have user take a Corruption card, too.

That's actually quite fantastic, I was just thinking after earlier feedback that it would be great to have some kind of a 'humanity' scale where items like this could corrupt you. Unfortunately I only have the base game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob T
United States
Mantua (near Woodbury)
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like it! Extremely creepy... I think it should have a Sanity cost, and you might want to word it less directly- instead of saying "devour any human enemy" make em read between the lines; just say "Return any defeated Witch, Cultist, Madman, High Priest or Warlock- or an Ally- to the box" and let the horrific meaning slowly dawn on the player....

If it's a one-use thing maybe it should restore full Stamina. If you can use it over and over, then just restore Stamin equal to toughness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
e Bentl
Australia
flag msg tools
Thoth Amon wrote:

If it's a one-use thing maybe it should restore full Stamina. If you can use it over and over, then just restore Stamin equal to toughness.

Well my new idea is to have it make you draw a special corruption card which will have my currently listed effects as a constant benefit, possibly with one sanity loss each time. And for the Mythos event make it that if you are carrying one or more ally your urges overwhelm you and you discard them. Also (hopefully) gives me more room to word it properly as a number of necessary clarifications have been pointed out here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.