Ryan Powers
United States
Marble
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi everyone.

I've always wanted to give this game a shot but...

I have no delusions about my ability to acquire local opponents. I know there is the online option, but as it is a pay option and I pretty much already know FtF isn't happening I wanted to ask if someone could give me an idea of the size of the community using it, ease of getting games together and such.

I have no problem with the fee charged provided I will get enough use out of it. I just don't want to cough up the $$ for both the game and the inline option only to never get a chance to play.

Also with that in mind, I am assuming that the basic set should be enough to get me going.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Johnson
United States
Harrisonburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think they get about 30 players or so for some of the big tournaments. Note that (outside of Council of Five Nations), the big tournament happens online nowadays.

Basic Set is fine... but there are a few rules in Advanced Missions that you will want to learn quickly if you want to get the full experience. (I'm thinking mainly of Mid-Turn Speed Changes here.) However, when I teach people the game, we can generally go five to ten games without wanting them-- especially if we move on to small fleet battles once we've done the Duel to death.

I can't tell you to what extent the online scene is a "shark tank".

You may want to post on the discus board to see if anyone else is interested in joining at the same time-- noobs on noobs is the most satisfying way to learn. If you let an experienced SFB player crush you repeatedly, you'll learn more than you can imagine and will quickly be able to destroy new players with ease.

It's a beautiful game, though.

(Basic Set is worth a good 50 plays by itself. I wouldn't try other modules or supplements until you run it into the ground and truly want more game. Basic Set, Advanced Missions, C1, C2, C3, J, and K are the pretty much the complete core game.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Shaw
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not exactly the boardgame, but taken from SFB over a decade ago...try the PC game Star Fleet command. I think they have some demos that you can try of it.

StarFleet Command Orion Pirates is what I think is the most popular amongst that crowd recently.

SFC works like SFB but does all the math for you with both players moving and acting simultaneously and so what might take 2-3 hours on the board will instead take 5-20 minutes in the game.

Furthermore, it has an active community that plays empire games on a server called Dynaverse (I believe they have a place called Dynaverse.net as well) which is basically like a big Federation and Empire game set up where you try to conquer the enemy empires...but all the battles are done tactically (like F&E with battles done via SFB).

That is if you are looking at a PC option. I have a cousin who used to play in that arena supposedly and he seemed to get a SFB kick from it without actually playing SFB.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Lowry
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have yet to try SFBOL myself. But I do know that you can demo it for a month, which will should help you find answers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cracky McCracken
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you had a chance to go over the Cadet .PDFs? If you haven't, the price is right.

http://www.starfleetgames.com/starfleetbattles.shtml

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Powers
United States
Marble
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cracky wrote:
Have you had a chance to go over the Cadet .PDFs? If you haven't, the price is right.

http://www.starfleetgames.com/starfleetbattles.shtml

I've already checked them out. Thanks though!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Powers
United States
Marble
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rindis wrote:
I have yet to try SFBOL myself. But I do know that you can demo it for a month, which will should help you find answers.

Yep. The trick is I don't want to waste my demo month without having the rules, and don't want to buy the rules without at least an idea of if it's active enough to be worthwhile. It sounds like it likely is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Powers
United States
Marble
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeffr0 wrote:

Basic Set is fine... but there are a few rules in Advanced Missions that you will want to learn quickly if you want to get the full experience. (I'm thinking mainly of Mid-Turn Speed Changes here.) However, when I teach people the game, we can generally go five to ten games without wanting them-- especially if we move on to small fleet battles once we've done the Duel to death.

OK.

I'm theoretically looking at the basic set and advanced missions to save the shipping incurred by making it two orders. I'm also looking at the pdf version of the Basic set SSD book (http://e23.sjgames.com/item.html?id=ADB5501-3) so that I can just print off the ones I need. This latter bit will not be ordered right away as shipping isn't an issue, but seems like it would be handy to have.

Does this make sense?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Metal Undivided, Chaos For All
mbmbmbmbmb
Depending on whether you plan on staying virtual with this, you could always get the Electronic rulebook: http://e23.sjgames.com/item.html?id=ADB5412

It has Basic and Advanced and a bunch more. It's only weakness (in my eyes) is that it doesn't have scenarios. Of course, it only helps with FTF when you have a laptop or a tablet. I wonder how it would work on a Kindle?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Powers
United States
Marble
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheChin! wrote:
Depending on whether you plan on staying virtual with this, you could always get the Electronic rulebook: http://e23.sjgames.com/item.html?id=ADB5412

It has Basic and Advanced and a bunch more. It's only weakness (in my eyes) is that it doesn't have scenarios. Of course, it only helps with FTF when you have a laptop or a tablet. I wonder how it would work on a Kindle?

I like reading on dead trees better to begin with, and I'd rather let someone else do the printing anyhow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
keethrax wrote:
Jeffr0 wrote:

OK.

I'm theoretically looking at the basic set and advanced missions to save the shipping incurred by making it two orders. I'm also looking at the pdf version of the Basic set SSD book (http://e23.sjgames.com/item.html?id=ADB5501-3) so that I can just print off the ones I need. This latter bit will not be ordered right away as shipping isn't an issue, but seems like it would be handy to have.

Does this make sense?

Well, I definitely do like the online SSD books, as I do a lot of face-to-face play, and having the SSDs handy is hella nice.

That said - it's not needed for SFBOL. All the SSDs (for almost all the products) are already available in the program.

As to the 'master rulebook' in electronic format...I think this game is as good a use case as I've ever seen for ditching the dead-tree format entirely. Having an iPad next to the game table with the master rulebook on it simplifies things VASTLY.

It's not that the rules aren't indexed well - they are. Painfully so - the game designs are a combination of ex-military and engineers, so are extremely precise and complete, and everything is cross-indexed three ways.

But you still still run into issues, like...I'm emergency decelerating to deploy a wild weasel, which means I need to drop fire control first, but I want to fire my plasma torpedo before I do that. Where should I look to see how many impulses I have to make the decision to shoot? With a .PDF, it's searchable, so just look for the keyword you want ('fire control', for example), and you can easily skip through the rulebook to find all references to it.

It's also a heck of a lot more portable for reading on the go. I've seen Bibles smaller than the SFB Master Rulebook. It really does have rules to cover EVERYTHING that can happen in a game. Having it readable on an iPhone? Super handy!

In any case, Basic Sis definitely a good place to start, and if there are offside possibilities of playing FTF, picking up Advanced Missions is smart, too. Those two products are 90%...well, maybe 80%...of SFB during the General War, stand on their own just fine (heck, even Basic Set does that), and will provide hundreds of hours of entertainment. That will get you all the counters, maps, play aid handouts, and rulebooks you could need for that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Commenting specifically on SFBOL as a separate item...

I've played many matches on it, and when learning the UI (it does take some getting used to) found everyone playing it very friendly and helpful.

It is definitely a very welcoming community, and while I certainly had no issues with anyone, in any match, explaining any UI element to me I did not understand the use of...I was pretty much an expert at SFB even starting this, so it really was just the UI they were explaining.

I'm guessing if you are totally new to SFB, you'd probably want to ask in the global chat (there are usually at least a half dozen or so people in there idling around) for some a training game, and someone may jump in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Powers
United States
Marble
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
XanderF wrote:
Commenting specifically on SFBOL as a separate item...

I've played many matches on it, and when learning the UI (it does take some getting used to) found everyone playing it very friendly and helpful.

It is definitely a very welcoming community, and while I certainly had no issues with anyone, in any match, explaining any UI element to me I did not understand the use of...I was pretty much an expert at SFB even starting this, so it really was just the UI they were explaining.

I'm guessing if you are totally new to SFB, you'd probably want to ask in the global chat (there are usually at least a half dozen or so people in there idling around) for some a training game, and someone may jump in.

Thanks. This is exactly the sort of info I needed. Even if some of it is guessing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Powers
United States
Marble
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
XanderF wrote:

As to the 'master rulebook' in electronic format...I think this game is as good a use case as I've ever seen for ditching the dead-tree format entirely. Having an iPad next to the game table with the master rulebook on it simplifies things VASTLY.

My preference for dead trees would diminish if I had an appropriate portable reader of any sort. But as of yet the e-reader/tablet that I would actually buy does not exist.

Side note: my requirements for a portable reader are easily doable now most (all?) existing ones already have way more horsepower than anything I would require. A scaled up (even further) kindle DX wiht some software tweaks would do it. Fix a few issues I have with the kindle software, give me an even bigger screen and its worth close to $500 to me easily. Doesn't exist though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Johnson
United States
Harrisonburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
keethrax wrote:

OK.

Does this make sense?

Probably. I suggest picking a number of games that you have to play before you buy the big PDF, though. Drinking from the firehose can be frustrating without real game experience backing you up, but that's just my opinion.

Basic Set is more of a complete game than I ever imagined before I played it heavily. Advanced Missions makes for an epic game system. The tournaments use ships and systems from a half dozen supplements, though. A lot of what you buy will depend on whether you are tourney person, a fleet battle person, or a campaign person.

The PDF will make it easy to look up rules from anywhere even when you're not playing... and it will also probably help you scope out which modules you want before you drop cash on more SSD and counters. (Being able to search it is handy.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Powers
United States
Marble
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeffr0 wrote:

Probably. I suggest picking a number of games that you have to play before you buy the big PDF, though. Drinking from the firehose can be frustrating without real game experience backing you up, but that's just my opinion.

As an ASLer who likes PTO stuff, the firehose doesn't scare me much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Johnson
United States
Harrisonburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In that case... get the PDF-- and come play F&E for a week straight with the whole gang when they meet up this summer.ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Powers
United States
Marble
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just coming back to post a "thank you" to everyone who chimed in. I've ordered the basic set and advanced missions and hope to check out SFB online in a few months after I've found some time to tinker on my own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Anderson
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I'll play the Klingons
badge
I'll play the Klingons
mbmbmbmbmb
Ryan,
In case you are still watching this thread, how did this work out for you? Did you end up trying the online site? I'm thinking along the lines you expressed here so I'm curious.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.