Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Runewars» Forums » Rules

Subject: Retreating neutral units rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J Bernardo
Taiwan
Taipei
flag msg tools
badge
Wargame? Eurogame? Ameritrash? Asia!! Check out Asian board game reviews at CardboardEast.com
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
A neutral unit needs to retreat from a battle. All surrounding areas are controlled by different factions; however, one area is an EMPTY home world area. What happens to the neutral unit?

A) Destroyed and removed from the game.
B) Retreats into the home world area and remains neutral.
C) Retreats into the home world area and joins that faction.
D) Jumps off the table and into Andy Pelcher's eye. Sure he might still win the game, but everyone else will have a good laugh.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David F
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
Luck in games, in measured doses, is the catalyst which enables shocking game-changers that you'll remember and talk about forever.
badge
Let the Lord of Chaos rule.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
A) Destroyed and removed from game.

Empty home realms always belong to the home realm player (i.e. another player would need to Mobilize into it and draw Fate Cards, and that would count as a battle). Hence, that home realm area is a player-controlled area, the neutral unit has no uncontrolled area to retreat to, and it dies.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed. Unallied Neutral units must retreat to an UNCONTROLLED area; Home Realm areas are ALWAYS controlled areas, even if no units or strongholds are there; either the original player controls it by default, or an enemy player has taken it over. They can never be "Uncontrolled".

Also, for what it's worth, per the definitions on page 15, the term "empty" doesn't apply to home realms (probably to emphasize the fact they are always controlled).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
juan
Argentina
Ciudad Autónoma de Buenos Aires
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed. And remember that if a neutral allied unit is in a control area (like the home realm), even without a unit of your faction, it's still allied.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Williams
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
Avatar
juanson wrote:
Agreed. And remember that if a neutral allied unit is in a control area (like the home realm), even without a unit of your faction, it's still allied.


That's news to me.

What happens if an enemy player invades my home realm hex and wins, but the only surviving units are neutrals? Do they instantly switch sides and become mine?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Bernardo
Taiwan
Taipei
flag msg tools
badge
Wargame? Eurogame? Ameritrash? Asia!! Check out Asian board game reviews at CardboardEast.com
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Stewi wrote:
juanson wrote:
Agreed. And remember that if a neutral allied unit is in a control area (like the home realm), even without a unit of your faction, it's still allied.


That's news to me.

What happens if an enemy player invades my home realm hex and wins, but the only surviving units are neutrals? Do they instantly switch sides and become mine?


I would say yes. And in this case, he did NOT win.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Stewi wrote:
juanson wrote:
Agreed. And remember that if a neutral allied unit is in a control area (like the home realm), even without a unit of your faction, it's still allied.


That's news to me.

What happens if an enemy player invades my home realm hex and wins, but the only surviving units are neutrals? Do they instantly switch sides and become mine?

No, because they are still allied to the enemy player, and would retreat like any other units on the losing side. They MUST retreat to an area friendly to the player or they are destroyed.

IE, if they begin battle allied to a player, they remain allied to that player for the duration of the battle, including the retreat phase.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom H
Australia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
sigmazero13 wrote:
Stewi wrote:
What happens if an enemy player invades my home realm hex and wins, but the only surviving units are neutrals? Do they instantly switch sides and become mine?

No, because they are still allied to the enemy player, and would retreat like any other units on the losing side. They MUST retreat to an area friendly to the player or they are destroyed.

These neutrals were brought in by a victorious attacker. They were not on the losing side in the battle, so they wouldn't retreat.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Terah wrote:
sigmazero13 wrote:
Stewi wrote:
What happens if an enemy player invades my home realm hex and wins, but the only surviving units are neutrals? Do they instantly switch sides and become mine?

No, because they are still allied to the enemy player, and would retreat like any other units on the losing side. They MUST retreat to an area friendly to the player or they are destroyed.

These neutrals were brought in by a victorious attacker. They were not on the losing side in the battle, so they wouldn't retreat.

Ah, misread the question. That is indeed a bizarre situation, and I guess in that case they WOULD revert to the other team's side, since they don't retreat if they win.

Lesson to learn - unless you want to give your opponent free Neutrals, don't do that. I can't imagine this ever happening in a real game.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.