Hide
11 Posts

Labyrinth: The War on Terror, 2001 – ?» Forums » General

Subject: Labyrinth, is it difficult to learn? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alejandro Diaz
msg tools
I've seen a lot about this game, I'm curious if the game is too difficult to learn, or any other game similar in fashion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are the rules:

http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/60706/labyrinth-rulebook

It is somewhat complicated but it depends who you are. The rules are useless without the board/bits in front of you but it gives you an idea of what you would have to be willing to get through.

Very similar to Twilight Struggle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Which Labyrinth?

1. Labyrinth
2. Labyrinth: The War on Terror

If it's number 1, no, not hard. Anybody can learn that game.

If it's number 2, I don't know. But take a look at its complexity level, read the rules online, and see if you think it's too hard for you. I don't think anybody can answer that question for you--not without you at least sharing some information about your gaming history, preferences, and experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Dearborn Heights
Michigan
flag msg tools
Fizzgig need food badly!
badge
Click on Fizzgig to feed him a tasty snack. Nom, Nom, Nom!
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay... just in case which Labyrinth game are you referring to?

The Various "Labyrinth" Games:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeksearch.php?action=search&ob...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacovis
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
These types of games (CDGs, and more specifically Twilight Struggle and Labyrinth, and (I imagine 1989)) do definitely have a learning curve. That learning curve, however, is largely based around experience (i.e. the more you play it, the better you will know the cards, and how they interact). If you are comfortable with the fact that you will not master this game in the first couple of plays, you will be fine. I personally recommend Twilight Struggle as well, if you have not already tried it!

Cheers, and Happy Holidays!

Jacovis

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro Diaz
msg tools
Labyrinth the War on Terror
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremiah Perkins
United States
Chaska
MN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just recently got Labyrinth and we sat down to play and were completely lost. I then watched the videos for the computer version and it started to click after we struggled to understand the game on our own. The hardest part is that the US and the Jihadist play completely different from one another. So you can't collaborate with the person you are playing against. The US uses their Ops points to make plays in areas with equal or lesser. The Jihadist use ops points to increase the number of dice they use to do their moves. It is difficult at the beginning but some great games are. Think of it as a puzzle and once you finish the puzzle you have a great payoff of a fun game to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved to Labyrinth the War on Terror Game forum

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The US side is easier and more straightforward to play, IMHO.

If you can find a buddy that knows the game then you are set and it's a matter of playing a full game to get a good grasp of the mechanics. I suggest playing the same side several times in a row before switching.

If not, then I suggest using ACTS with VASSAL as your board. Or, real-time VASSAL games work well for this.

Great game. Good Luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Monte
United States
Glendale
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just learned this game and found it challenging but not unmanageable. I found learning out of the rules pretty difficult because of the unique nature of the game...basically the two players have a completely different set of actions and procedures they have to follow. I highly recommend using the playbook's example by setting up the game and moving the pieces around, it took a few hours but without that I would have been very lost. Our first game took a very long time and I ended up conceding. However our second took about 2.5-3 hrs and flew by. We played the same side both times.

In comparison to Twilight Struggle I think it's harder to learn but more rewarding.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sherlock
United States
Anaheim Hills
California
flag msg tools
badge
Admin @ www.cigargeeks.com
mbmbmbmbmb
When I first read the rules, I looked at the game and said, I understand the rulebook, but I still have no idea how to play.

After doing the walk-though in the players guide, it all gelled together and made sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.