Recommend
23 
 Thumb up
 Hide
56 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

Wargames» Forums » General

Subject: Do wargamers suffer from the "tiny chair" syndrome ? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like to attract the wargamer community's attention to this hilarious thread:

http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/87443/sir-before-we-play-t...

Also, here is a related poll.
Poll
When playing a wargame, proper seating and correct table dimensions are ...
very important
important
more or less important
unimportant
very unimportant
      321 answers
Poll created by Mallet
7 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dorosh
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Tactical Wargamer's Journal
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the related poll would be regarding marketing of wargames. They tend not to show people playing the actual game, and instead just show the "bad guys" of whatever war is being fought, marching triumphantly across the terrain.

They never, ever show a dead body on the box, either, despite the fact the object of all those battles was to kill people in large numbers.
17 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucius Cornelius
United States
Vindolanda
Britannia
flag msg tools
badge
Lord Protector of Nothing in Particular
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
We all share the same table size: Too Small.
52 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Ford
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I look forward to someone recreating some classic wargame boxtops in the MB-tiny chair style.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sadler
United States
Olney
Maryland
flag msg tools
From the Halls of Montezuma...
badge
...to the Shores of Tripoli...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Playing some of my 9 mappers, I need a Mission Impossible hanging from the ceiling rig.

The Devil's Cauldron campaign almost killed my best friend with all the bending over to move units around the middle of the map.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Arthur
Australia
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
BeatPosse wrote:
Playing some of my 9 mappers, I need a Mission Impossible hanging from the ceiling rig.

The Devil's Cauldron campaign almost killed my best friend with all the bending over to move units around the middle of the map.


Yes the 'Quasimodo Effect' bane of all monster gamers...

I've suffered from 'Falling Off the Chair Syndrome'...one of my opponents of old was a great quaffer of Jack Daniels and he didn't mind sharing I can tell you...
13 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damo
Australia
Hobart
Tasmania
flag msg tools
Look Up! Stay Alive!
badge
http://australianmuseum.net.au/Drop-Bear
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Atraxrobustus wrote:
BeatPosse wrote:
Playing some of my 9 mappers, I need a Mission Impossible hanging from the ceiling rig.

The Devil's Cauldron campaign almost killed my best friend with all the bending over to move units around the middle of the map.


Yes the 'Quasimodo Effect' bane of all monster gamers...

I've suffered from 'Falling Off the Chair Syndrome'...one of my opponents of old was a great quaffer of Jack Daniels and he didn't mind sharing I can tell you...


Sounds like a devious tactic to put you off your game...ninja
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Arthur
Australia
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Damjon wrote:
Atraxrobustus wrote:
BeatPosse wrote:
Playing some of my 9 mappers, I need a Mission Impossible hanging from the ceiling rig.

The Devil's Cauldron campaign almost killed my best friend with all the bending over to move units around the middle of the map.


Yes the 'Quasimodo Effect' bane of all monster gamers...

I've suffered from 'Falling Off the Chair Syndrome'...one of my opponents of old was a great quaffer of Jack Daniels and he didn't mind sharing I can tell you...


Sounds like a devious tactic to put you off your game...ninja


You could be right...he nearly always beat me...
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Michael Dorosh wrote:
I think the related poll would be regarding marketing of wargames. They tend not to show people playing the actual game, and instead just show the "bad guys" of whatever war is being fought, marching triumphantly across the terrain.


These are the "bad guys"?

Quote:
They never, ever show a dead body on the box, either, despite the fact the object of all those battles was to kill people in large numbers.

"Never, ever" is certainly an overstatement (e.g. I've seen many Civil War games with vintage art of battle scenes with dead bodies on the ground). A random example from a moment's searching for "Shiloh" games:


But I agree with your overall point, as those battle scenes often seem heroically romanticized, even if there are some token dead bodies.

---

About the covers showing people playing the game - I think only mainstream family games do that. Wargames, eurogames, Ameritrash, abstract games ... I don't think any of those tend to show people playing the game on the cover.

Now I'm imagining the analogy for other types of creative work:

* A book whose cover shows someone reading the book (perhaps recursively, you can see that person reading the book on the cover of the book on the cover...)

* A music disk whose cover shows someone listening to the music. (Or dancing to it?)

8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Playing wargames while sitting is sooo working class. I play them standing up, with my monocle on, and moving the pieces with a croupier stick.
45 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
"Never, ever" is certainly an overstatement (e.g. I've seen many Civil War games with vintage art of battle scenes with dead bodies on the ground). A random example from a moment's searching for "Shiloh" games:


A good number of civil wargames tend to take their art from famous civil war artists. I've seen contemporary civil war artists like John Forbes used for game box covers as well as modern artists like Mort Künstler and Don Troiani. Meanwhile most other wargames seem to have special cover art made just for the game itself. I suspect this is because while civil war art has a long and profitable history other eras like WW II don't have that and thus either photographs or new art is created specifically for the game.,

In terms of game chairs, when I bought my kitchen table I knew it was going to be used for wargaming nights so I got the larger more comfortable chairs to go with it. I like my wargaming friends to be comfortable when playing at my home. They also get to drink beer from porcelain beer mugs and use Irish porcelain coasters to sit them on.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edmund Hon
Canada
Maple
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
sullafelix wrote:
We all share the same table size: Too Small.


I have a 6'x4' table, enough to fit a 4-mapper in a 2x2 configuration...

...then I realized I also need extra table space for all those organization displays.
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Michael Dorosh wrote:
I think the related poll would be regarding marketing of wargames. They tend not to show people playing the actual game, and instead just show the "bad guys" of whatever war is being fought, marching triumphantly across the terrain.

They never, ever show a dead body on the box, either, despite the fact the object of all those battles was to kill people in large numbers.


I'm inclined to believe, instead, that the object of most of those battles was to force an enemy to capitulate or leave, and the means was by rendering the enemy's force incapable of prosecuting war, which obviously involves incapacitating his troops - at least until their own survival instinct took priority over following orders.

Of course, one or more of the great Khans might have had, on occasion, the singular objective of slaughter, but their ideas on politics were rather boolean in nature.

My favorite table (of which I'll one day build another iteration) was one I built that was approximately waist-high, at which I kept a couple of barstools. When reaching over the maps, this elevation put less of a load on the back, and you could use the edge of the table to support some of your weight. It was originally 4'x8', but I expanded it to 5'x8', to support the playing of Fire in the East, with the Scorched Earth expansion.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cracky McCracken
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
sassypickle wrote:
From what I've seen of convention pics, its the width of the tiny chairs that seems to be the main culprit for wargamers.


So true. Banquet chairs are small. Gamers don't really seem any fatter than other groups to me. (Except for the week Columbus hosts the "Arnold Classic" and the cities' hotels all fill up with athletes and bodybuilders.)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Smooth seas make the voyage more pleasant.
badge
A ship in port is safe, and that's just what ports are for.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
sullafelix wrote:
We all share the same table size: Too Small.

Guess I'm not a true grognard. As far as I'm concerned, some wargames are too big.

If a game doesn't fit on a standard "schoolroom-size" table, it's not a game for me. If it fits on a card table, even better. I've rejected many a game just because of its size (and I don't know why I ever bought The Longest Day years ago, but I'm glad I had the good sense to sell it).

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
sullafelix wrote:
We all share the same table size: Too Small.



And Not Enough.

Gamer's Law - Any horizontal flat surface will be rapidly consumed requiring more HFS needs.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Beaton
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
I have a cunning plan
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:

Now I'm imagining the analogy for other types of creative work:

* A music disk whose cover shows someone listening to the music. (Or dancing to it?)



The Dancing Girl avatar on The (English) Beat records?



Kind of a deliberate retro-60's look. A wargame equivalent would feature guys in buzz cuts playing Blitzkrieg.
9 
 Thumb up
0.32
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Where the heck did this interest in WW1 come from?
badge
Ashwin in front of Tiger 131
Avatar
mbmbmb

I was obviously the only person who thought this thread was about the size of our backsides. For the record mine is pert and comfortably rests on any adult sized chair...whistle
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
aiabx wrote:
A wargame equivalent would feature guys in buzz cuts playing Blitzkrieg.

Hmm.

In MY part of Canada, wargamers with VERY long hair and long beards were playing Blitzkrieg. Game designers might NOT have chosen us for the cover of their games, however.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dustin boggs
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
these are my overtexts and
badge
now I am without geek gold :(
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Covers want to portray movement or action and a corpse doesn't do that. I also want my games to take me somewhere which is why I do not like abstracts which often feature the components on the cover rather than art depicting an event or action.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ramkitty wrote:
Covers want to portray movement or action and a corpse doesn't do that.


I'm not sure that's necessarily true...

 

3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Over 150 answers.

More then 70 % consider proper seating / tables to be important.

Meanwhile, the "tiny chair" geeklist has about 500 "likes"and more then 20 geekgold.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Glass
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I saw the post mentioned...and the look on all those guys faces. Those obviouly aren't smiles of enjoyment at the game being played. I think the sadistic photgraphers turned their 4-legged stools upside down and had them all sit on the...uncomfortable part.

Ron
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Sheely
United States
Hayward
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to be solving the table-too-small problem very soon. I'm building a 6 by 4 table with hinged extensions (just in case). The Battle for Normandy! You're first up!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Heldt
United States
Harper Woods
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Two panzer jocks in the South Seas hoping that soon they'll get lei'd--
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
sassypickle wrote:
From what I've seen of convention pics, its the width of the tiny chairs that seems to be the main culprit for wargamers.

I'll thank you to leave the dimensions of my ass out of this discussion--
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.