Brian Brokaw
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
It's not a damn moped!
mbmbmbmbmb
Rule Question #1: Because it did not mention "one time only" we ruled that it could be used at the end of each round. Is this correct?

Rule Question #2: I think I read Glenn say that the players should alternate placing a single colonist (beginning with the owner of the Papal Edict). I assume this means that the 2 extra colonists can go in 2 different colonies (where the player's already have presence)? (We played that both colonists must be placed together in a single region.

Papal Edict was VERY strong the one time I have been able to play with it. Even though you are "technically" giving two colonists to a competitor, typically it is easy to find a competitor who's land holdings compete with your OTHER competitors, so this Papal Edict is just a WIN:WIN for the owner!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Danielson
United States
Mountlake Terrace
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wish the wording on tiles was more consistent so issues like this would be more clear.

I would have ruled that this tile is one use because it does not say to do so every turn. I also think that is more in line with the power of the other tiles. As you noticed, if used every turn it is really to strong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
You can take my game… when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the board!
mbmbmbmbmb
How many players in your games? I would think it is more powerful with more players as it gets easier to pick someone you're not competing with. And if used every turn, you can spread out who you choose to give extra colonists to.

I think it probably is meant to be used every turn. +2 colonists is comparable to +1 Missionary/turn. You don't have to ship these via the colonist dock like a Missionary, but in return you have to choose an opponent to get the benefit as well.

I haven't played with it yet though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Linneman
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe it was because it was a 6p game, but we found Papal Edict to be too strong as a once/round building and ruled it as a one-use only. The problem was that the 2 colonists you give to an opponent can actually help you if you give them to someone who is competing against your greatest rival.

One middle ground that was suggested was to make it once per Age--thereby usable twice per game. This would make it slightly stronger than Overpopulation (giving a total of 4 colonists rather than 3), but coming later in the game.

My guess is that it was intended as once per round, but this is simply too strong at high player counts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I assumed it was once per game.

Is the gain 2 Soldiers in any colony Building from the base game once per round? I thought this was once per game so I followed the same logic for Papal Edict.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Linneman
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
charlest wrote:
I assumed it was once per game.

Is the gain 2 Soldiers in any colony Building from the base game once per round? I thought this was once per game so I followed the same logic for Papal Edict.

The Native Allies building is once per game, immediately, and it says so on the tile. Papal Edict just says "gain 2 colonists..." leaving you to wonder if this is every round, in the Capital Building Benefits phase, or once immediately, when you buy the tile.

It is lack of consistency that makes the buildings confusing. For example, the British National Advantage is to "take $1 from each player." This is clearly once per round (it would be too weak otherwise) but that is not indicated anywhere in the rules. We are basically left to our own devices to decide what is reasonable. And that is really bad design.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.