Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of Monster!
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
yeah it is. like diplomacy but better. i think this might be better than chaos in the old world which is a favorite with my gaming group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's built on top of Diplomacy's mechanics, which are a very solid base for the game. And you'll find that the gameplay is all about scheming, alliances, paranoia and betrayal, which admirably follows themes from the books.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David F
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
Luck in games, in measured doses, is the catalyst which enables shocking game-changers that you'll remember and talk about forever.
badge
Let the Lord of Chaos rule.
mbmbmbmbmb
Theme is actually not as strong with this one. It's only the setting. No deliberate recreation of certain events or alternate history. The game stands on its own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asgeir Jonsson
Iceland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I did not like this game, I thought it was way to long and simple for my taste. Although this is game is full of little and confusing rules. But I guess it depends on what you are looking for. A wargame similar to war of the ring or area control like Chaos in the old world. I just think that there are way better games out there, to invest time like this in. Mine is up for trade after one play but Im willing to try it once more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know the books or the show, but I think this is a good game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas De Wolf
Belgium
Gent
Oost-Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
I am the Black Wizards
badge
My hammer listened to Amon Amarth and became Mjölnir
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm happy with the game and don't regret buying it. The theme is the power struggle for the Iron throne , making alliances, backstabbing, anticipating moves from your enemies, moving your pieces into position without being regarded to much as a threat. It feels like the power politics in the books. There are almost no spoilers, perhaps some very minor clues on the wildling cards, but nothing that you should worry about.

About balance : the houses each have strenghts and weaknesses based on starting position, different abilities on character cards, their placement on the tracks etc. The balance is created by the players much like in Chaos of the Old World. If you let someone do his thing without reacting to it, he will likely win the game.

In four and five player matches you have to warn the players about the neutral cities of Dorne which Tyrell and Baratheon can easily siege and conquer, thus gaining castles quicly. The six player game seems to have the best balance.

There are some minor rules that can be overlooked easily but overall the flow of the gameplay is done very well. The game is highly diplomatical and strategical. It requires a lot of anticipation and convincing other players to steer them where you want.

I think the second edition has some minor improvements like more choices when you control the iron throne, raven or sword, the wildlings attacks are done better, the event decks are done better and there is more mustering/building of units due to the new star consolidate order token. And it has better artwork in my opinion too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Banks
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
The time totally depends on the number of players and whose playing I'd say.

First time through with 6 players could take upwards of 4-5 hours, with explaining rules etc., but can be more depending on how much table-talk there is, how in-character people want to be etc.

If your friends are all experienced gamers it shouldn't take them long to pick up most of the concepts in the game tbh, and the time of games scales down considerably once you get used to it and/or with less players. I personally have only played the game a few times, but I'd say for an average 4 player game I'd allow 3-4 hours. An extra half hour per person seems fair.

And in response to your earlier questions, I'm in the same boat as you as a TV-then-book fan whose come at the 2nd edition fresh. It was definitely worth it IMO!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony L.
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AsthmaticZero wrote:
My last real question for those of you who have played it, preferably multiple times, is about the length. My group loves Twilight Imperium, but in order to play, we have to set aside a day for it. That only happens a few times a year, if that. Battlestar Galactica can easily take 3-4 hours, though, and my group has happily played that every week for a long time. So, which way does this game lean? 2/3/4 hours or more?

In theory, the game will only take 3 or 4 hours. Most of mine have in fact, but it REALLY depends on who you are playing with. The game itself is really just a back end to the diplomacy, scheming, back stabbing, etc. How much your group is into that and how much time they spend on that will directly effect the length of the game.

And to answer your earlier question, only two people in my regular gaming group have read the books or seen the show (Myself not being one of them) and we all absolutely adore this game. There isn't really any flavor text at all, and nothing related to the story other than general abilities (Greyjoy is good with ships, etc), starting locations, things like that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Martin
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
1 Million Shogoths Killed and Counting.
mbmbmbmbmb
I love this game. I don't think the theme is needed. One person talked about fiddly rules, but I don't see this at all. The game has a relatively simple rule set the game is about who you are playing with.

I have the original not second edition, but you should certainly pick it up.

For me the Theme is just bonus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim O'Neill (Established 1949)
Scotland
Motherwell
Graduate of Barlinnie
flag msg tools
VENI, VIDI, VISA - my reaction on entering my FLGS.
badge
Like a good red wine, I improve with age... and being laid.
mbmbmbmbmb
jrescan wrote:
Two words: Buy it.

One word: YES.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Plymale
United States
Huddleston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have and have read all the books. I understand the series is on HBO? Since I don't have that guess I'll wait for the DVD. This looks great unfortunatly no longer have a FLGS. We had one and used to play the earlier edition of Twilight and loved it. I can remember having eight players at that and it taking 8-10 hours.

I also noticed that a new book is out for the series apparently.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David K.
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zaarin7 wrote:
I'll wait for the DVD.

I also noticed that a new book is out for the series apparently.

March 6th for the Blu-Ray / DVD

http://www.amazon.com/Game-Thrones-Complete-First-Season/dp/...

Book 5 was released over the summer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Franco
Australia
flag msg tools
People are mixing up theme and setting.

The setting, while not pasted on, could be removed I suppose. The map you fight over is pretty accurate, most of the big houses are there. Some of the combat cards are a little silly I guess and could be changed.

But the theme? No, the theme of the game - backstabing, negotiation, alliences to tear another house down, grand "FUCK YOU" betrayals that cost you the game and make you want to overturn the table, barganing, pleading, turns that take 40 minutes because some guy is ranting non stop about how you are making a mistake by not allying with him, the vengance wrought, the kingmaking...

That is total game of Thrones.

Get it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Sletten
Canada
Edmonton
AB
flag msg tools
badge
The struggle was real
mbmbmbmbmb
Aside from myself a couple others that have read the books before playing the game (1e, of course), at least 5 others I know have either read the books or watched the show due to playing the game. So yes, the theme is pretty thick, but maybe not as blended in as, say, BSG or Merchants and Merauders.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Mills
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
oneilljgf wrote:
jrescan wrote:
Two words: Buy it.

One word: YES.

Zero words:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.