Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Erik Nicely
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After seeing the entry for The Forgotten War: Korea in a geeklist I'm thinking I wouldn't mind playing some Korean War ground battles at tactical level. I'm aware of the ATS offerings but ATS wasn't a system that I could really get into. I've got Firepower on the way from a trade but it's my understanding that the forces used in that game start in 1965.

So I'm looking for game recommendations. The Korean War at tactical level whether it's squads, SMCs, platoons, or companies at "grand" tactical.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Read & Watch at www.bigboardgaming.com
Platoon level - Semper Fi! from TCS. great game with several scenarios.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Nicely
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hipshot wrote:

Ok I remember looking at the BGG page for that a while back, completely forgot about it. Would it also be a good intro game for TCS?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Beaton
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
I have a cunning plan
mbmbmbmbmb
There are couple of ASL scenarios floating around out there, with a full module in development. If your ASL chops are up to it, you could probably get in on playtesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucius Cornelius
United States
Rome
SPQR
flag msg tools
badge
Lord Protector of Nothing in Particular
mbmbmbmbmb
Fields of Fire
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
This has possibly several 'Scenarios' for Korea: Test of Arms while I'd imagine with several SETS of that, then you could 'mount' something larger overall.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Lund
Denmark
Århus
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Yes, Beware the Geek bringing gifts!
mbmbmbmbmb
Harkonnen13 wrote:
hipshot wrote:

Ok I remember looking at the BGG page for that a while back, completely forgot about it. Would it also be a good intro game for TCS?

I would expect it to be. There is a little armor, and the counter density isn't too high, as I recall
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitchell Land
United States
Ballwin
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Toktong Pass: Escape from Chosin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Read & Watch at www.bigboardgaming.com
Erik,
Yes perfect in fact. USe the basic LOS rules and it will allow you to learn the basics of the game, then you can add the Op Sheet stuff in (half the fun really). Great little game. I wrote some AARS so if you are into narrative its certainly there also.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Nicely
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hipshot wrote:
Erik,
Yes perfect in fact. USe the basic LOS rules and it will allow you to learn the basics of the game, then you can add the Op Sheet stuff in (half the fun really). Great little game. I wrote some AARS so if you are into narrative its certainly there also.

Excellent. I will look at your AARs. I've shied away from TCS because of the written ops sheet but I think I'll break down and get Semper Fi.

GROGnads wrote:
This has possibly several 'Scenarios' for Korea: Test of Arms while I'd imagine with several SETS of that, then you could 'mount' something larger overall.

I'm tempted to get that. Doesn't look like it was a masterpiece of wargame design but it does have scenarios for a wide range of conflicts, including Korea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Herbie Nichols Project - Dr. Cyclops' Dream
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Combined Arms had some Korean War scenarios, but I don't think it's worth seeking out. The idea behind the game was good, but it didn't turn out very well. Personally, I'm looking forward to Fields of Fire 2nd edition to fill this niche.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dorosh
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Tactical Wargamer's Journal
mbmbmbmbmb
Just as "Ace Kamikaze Pilots" is a slim volume on the library shelf, I rather suspected this would be a short thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.