Rich Charters
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Poll
How many firearms do you own? Actual firearms, not BB guns, paintball, air soft, etc...
7 or more
      182 answers
Poll created by richcharters

Poll
Which of these statements do you agree with? (select all that apply)
I would never own a gun
I think owning guns should be illegal
I collect guns
I own a gun(s) for defense/security
I own a gun(s) for hunting
I own a gun(s) to teach my children about guns
Guns are a major contributor to crime
I would support legislation that would make guns more difficult to obtain
One reason to own guns is to keep the government in check
There should be no restrictions on the right to bear arms
      164 answers
Poll created by richcharters

What are your thoughts on gun ownership? Are you pro-gun or anti-gun? Do you see gun ownership as an important right that we must preserve, or do you think it's time to increase the limitations on gun ownership?

Why do you feel that way?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe people should have the right to bear arms (guns - not the arms of bears!). Their reason for owning guns is immaterial - they should have that right. If they commit a crime, they should forfeit that right permanently.

I don't own any guns, and never have. I have considered purchasing a gun or two, and might still, but I haven't done so to date. I spent 12 years in the US Army Reserves, and fired many a weapon. I appreciate the damage they can do, which is one of the reasons I've been reluctant to date in keeping any in the house (yes, I have kids). My son shoots rifles in Boy Scouts and does quite well and enjoys doing so, and I'm happy for him (the rifles are owned by the sportsman's club, so we don't need to own one ourselves).

So, I'm not sure where I fit in this debate. I believe in the right to own guns, I've fired plenty, my son shoots, yet I've never owned a gun and probably never will. Go figure...

BTW - if I do buy a gun, it would be for target shooting, and defense against the coming zombie apocolypse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stew
United Kingdom
Co. Durham
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is this US only?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, the most guns owned at this point is 1. And someone checked that they are a gun collector.

1 does not a collection make.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Selkirk
Canada
Truro
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The only guns I own are vintage, non firing weapons:
an original 1700's Charlesville musket, converted from flintlock to percussion and a rare S.R. MK IV Swift Training rifle, used by Commonwealth troops during the Second World War.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
OK, the most guns owned at this point is 1. And someone checked that they are a gun collector.

1 does not a collection make.

Well, you're assuming that those who participated in one survey participated in the other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawson
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
richcharters wrote:
What are your thoughts on gun ownership? Are you pro-gun or anti-gun?

I don't fit in either category -- similarly, your options in the poll (other than number of guns owned) don't fit me.

Overall, I don't agree that the 2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution should protect individual ownership of handguns, and I generally prefer what I think is the case in other countries where handguns are more restricted and less common.

That said, I think that horse is so completely out of the barn in the U.S. that it doesn't make practical sense to try to eliminate handguns.

As it is, I'm considering buying a gun. I'm a single woman with children, and the totality of my analysis is whether gun ownership will increase or decrease the level of protection for us and others.

I haven't reached an answer to that question, but I did recently take a concealed weapons permit class, so I'll be a CWP holder soon. (I also have been accessing the bounty of some of our resident RSP gun enthusiasts' advice on the topic -- thanks, guys!) I want, at a minimum, to be educated about this before I make a decision.

So, again, I don't fit in those categories -- I'm not "pro-gun". I'd say I generally support restrictions -- it kind of baffles me that driving a car requires a license with relatively stringent testing requirements but gun ownership doesn't, for instance -- and I don't think that there's a sacrosanct right to gun ownership, but I'm not "anti-gun" either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Anders Behring Breivik wrote:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Amstutz
United States
Chula Vista
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you should have include a couple other options on your poll:

"I own a gun because of my occupation"

That fits me - I'm a Security Officer, and carried a sidearm for about 10 years or so

:I own I gun for recreation/it's fun to shoot"

Different from hunting. To me, shooting a gun is enjoyable. The sense of accomplishment as you control where that bullet strikes the target. Watching stuff like cans, water jugs, and fruit blowing apart when you shoot them. That's just plain fun.

As far as gun ownership vs car ownership, I understand the disparity there. However, I think that it's almost comparing apples vs oranges. The right to own/drive a vehicle is not in the Bill of Rights, while gun ownership is. And in some places, there is a de facto "license", such as my home state of California, where you have to have completed a hunter/pistol safety course before purchasing a firearm, or have a professional license such as an Armed Security certification. The problem with most firearm legislation is that it is "anti-gun" ie, it's aimed at the firearms themselves, rather than the user. For the most part, we don't legislate vehicles that way. Almost all vehicle regs are aimed at the driver. If we legislated cars the same way, we'd all have cars that couldn't drive over 45 mph, could only hold 5 gallons of gas at a time, you'd have to have a background check to buy one, and every car would come equipped with breath/alcohol checkers attached to the ignition. A gun is an inanimate machine that is neither good nor evil, just like a car. The problem, as always, is the "loose nut" behind the wheel/trigger.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am neither pro or anti gun, I am pro or anti the reasons some one wants to own a gun. I have had mates who want to own guns that I would not let within a million miles of a Spud gun. It’s a tool that has certain functions; as such you should only own one where those functions are compatible with (and can be carried out) within societies rules. Thus if you want to hunt for food because you need to, or you need to control vermin (non-human) then I see no reason to not allow gun ownership, but I do not see the justification of “well its might right” as a justification, no more then its your right to own a hammer or a Stanley knife.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LINCSANDWINKS wrote:
The only guns I own are vintage, non firing weapons:
an original 1700's Charlesville musket, converted from flintlock to percussion and a rare S.R. MK IV Swift Training rifle, used by Commonwealth troops during the Second World War.

I assumed they mean firing weapons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mondainai wrote:

I seem to recall McVey has similar views, but at least he did attack the government.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
designer
mb
slatersteven wrote:
Mondainai wrote:

I seem to recall McVey has similar views, but at least he did attack the government.
So did Behring Breivik; he attacked the main government building (which looks like it's beyond repair now) and wiped out 70 something young members of the ruling party, which he identified as destroying the nation. He was a one-man militia against what he perceived as an oppressive government.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mondainai wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
Mondainai wrote:

So did Behring Breivik; he attacked the main government building (which looks like it's beyond repair now) and wiped out 70 something young members of the ruling party, which he identified as destroying the nation. He was a one-man militia against what he perceived as an oppressive government.

The attack on the government building was a diversion, and I do not believe that attacks on the families of the governing party are an attack on the government or that party. If it is then there is no such thing as a terrorist because they are all trying to attack a nation or its government by indirect means. Even the 11/9 bombers were trying to attack the US government by an indirect attack on its citizens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Carr
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I fall into what I see as a "moderate" zone. People should be able to own guns. There should just be reasonable regulations. As mentioned above, there ought to be a regulatory framework similar to being able to drive a car. There should be a registry, a background check done, and a safety course should be passed.

Likewise, just as vehicles are broken into different types, requiring different types of licenses, this should be happening with different types of guns. Own a .22 rifle? That's like having a standard car. Own an assault rifle? It's like having an industrial truck license.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Hague
United Kingdom
Bristol
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
RAWKET LAWNCHA!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Mondainai wrote:

What's to check? If the gov't was really 'bad' they wouldn't let people own guns in the first place.

Besides which, can't we all reach a consensus without having to reach for a firearm?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pronoblem baalberith
United States
Pleasantville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Is it just me or do my balls itch?
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
echoota wrote:
I fall into what I see as a "moderate" zone. People should be able to own guns. There should just be reasonable regulations. As mentioned above, there ought to be a regulatory framework similar to being able to drive a car. There should be a registry, a background check done, and a safety course should be passed.

Likewise, just as vehicles are broken into different types, requiring different types of licenses, this should be happening with different types of guns. Own a .22 rifle? That's like having a standard car. Own an assault rifle? It's like having an industrial truck license.

How are you defining assault rifle?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jasper
Netherlands
Leiden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
Mondainai wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
Mondainai wrote:

The attack on the government building was a diversion, and I do not believe that attacks on the families of the governing party are an attack on the government or that party. If it is then there is no such thing as a terrorist because they are all trying to attack a nation or its government by indirect means. Even the 11/9 bombers were trying to attack the US government by an indirect attack on its citizens.
The victims were party members (or at least memebers of the youth organisation of that party; close enough).

Why are terrorist not terrorist when they attack some part of government? Are the people who blew up the USS Cole not terrorists?

Breivik WAS targetting the democratic government becuase he did not like what they were doing. That he chose an indirect target for the second strike (the bomb was NOT a decoy) does not change that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Venga2 wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
Mondainai wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
Mondainai wrote:

The victims were party members (or at least memebers of the youth organisation of that party; close enough).

Why are terrorist not terrorist when they attack some part of government? Are the people who blew up the USS Cole not terrorists?

Breivik WAS targetting the democratic government becuase he did not like what they were doing. That he chose an indirect target for the second strike (the bomb was NOT a decoy) does not change that.

No the attack on the USS Cole was not a terrorist attack in the sence it was not an attack aimed at causing terror amounst a civilian population., no more then shooting down Iranian airliners is.

Brevik was a psyco justifiying his actions by claiming a political motive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Carr
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
COMPNOR wrote:

I'm not. But I know it when I see it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
echoota wrote:
COMPNOR wrote:

Well perhaps if we're going to require different licensing of different firearms, we should be able to define said firearms instead of relying on "I'll know it when I see it."

To me it seems like you'll be judging on looks alone, which isn't really helpful to any form of discussion on firearms.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
COMPNOR wrote:
echoota wrote:
COMPNOR wrote:

Well perhaps if we're going to require different licensing of different firearms, we should be able to define said firearms instead of relying on "I'll know it when I see it."

To me it seems like you'll be judging on looks alone, which isn't really helpful to any form of discussion on firearms.

An assault rifle is a selective fire (selectable between semi-auto and fully automatic) rifle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
COMPNOR wrote:
echoota wrote:
COMPNOR wrote:

An assault rifle is a selective fire (selectable between semi-auto and fully automatic) rifle.

Thanks, Wikipedia!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jarredscott78 wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
COMPNOR wrote:
echoota wrote:
COMPNOR wrote:

Thanks, Wikipedia!

So? is it wrong (by the way I was going to write something similar without using wiki (An assault rifle is a fully automatic rifle)?, but it seemed to me why not use one that someone else has). After all should we not be trying to find an actual definitions rather then what we think it is?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.