Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Benoit Flageol
Canada
Québec
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
I just got to the hobby 2 months ago (and I already bought 20 games ) and I never attended a gaming convention.

I would like to hear feedbacks from people who attended this convention to know if it's a good place to go to learn and play new games.

Also, do you suggest that I sign up for the Great Canadian Board Game Blitz or should I stick with the base registration. (Take note that I want to go to a gaming convention to learn new game that I can play with 4+ players.)

Is it easy to find people/strangers to play with them even if you don't know the rules? I've never played settlers of catan but I would love to try it at a convention.

Finally, does the 3 hours trip to get there worth it?

p.s. Is the french community present in this convention?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sara VanderWal
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nidale wrote:
I just got to the hobby 2 months ago (and I already bought 20 games ) and I never attended a gaming convention.

Welcome. :-)

Nidale wrote:
I would like to hear feedbacks from people who attended this convention to know if it's a good place to go to learn and play new games.

I have not attended Game Summit before because my schedule hasn't allowed it previous years but I will definitely be attending this year. Everything I have heard about it has been great - the organization, the attendees, the games available, the events - and I'm really looking forward to attending this year.

Nidale wrote:
Also, do you suggest that I sign up for the Great Canadian Board Game Blitz or should I stick with the base registration. (Take note that I want to go to a gaming convention to learn new game that I can play with 4+ players.)

I love the GCBGB! The first one I took part in was 2 1/2 years ago when I was just getting into boardgames and it was amazing. The structure of it lets you easily learn new games (all of which will be 3-5 player games) and meet a lot of new people (making it easier to get into open games afterwards) with the added fun of a little competition.

Nidale wrote:
Is it easy to find people/strangers to play with them even if you don't know the rules?

It can take a little effort to meet new people and get into a game that you are interested in, but if you are willing to walk around and start up conversations with people who are playing games or browsing the game library or find a familiar face from these forums and say "hi", you shouldn't have a problem.

As far as learning games, everyone I know is happy to teach games they know to new players. If you have some experience with strategy games like Carcassonne, Forbidden Island, and King of Tokyo, and are willing to learn new games, you'll fit right in! Personally, it's rare that I even play a game without teaching at least 1 person at the table.
Nidale wrote:
Finally, does the 3 hours trip to get there worth it?

It is a 5 hour trip for me and I'm not hesitating to go. I'll be renting a car and getting a hotel room to take advantage of the full weekend and definitely suggest doing the same.

Hope this helps and I hope to see you there. :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marquis Cote
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Sara for answering

As for the question on the French community... Yes! Our games library (pick a game, sign it out, play the game, bring it back) is managed by Ludo-Outaouais, who are fully bilingual. We also have a number of bilingual Game Ambassadors walking around.

More info on this BGG thread

Tomorrow (Dec 31st, 2011) is the last day to save 15% on your Game Summit Passport! Hurry! Please post your comments or questions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.