World in Flames» Forums » Rules

Subject: Air transport missions and poor rules understanding. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rober Khan
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmb
O.K. I've been having problems with air transport since I first rode it. Let me explain how I understand it and, if wrong, please, correct me:
1. ATR departs from hex A, loaded or not.
2. It arrives at hex B (target hex). If it is not yet loaded, it can pick up any legal cargo from this hex. After this pick-up but before any unloading of any cargo transported from hex A, the ATR can be flaked/intercepted.
3. Everybody returns to base, but the ATR can be once again flaked/intercepted on it's return to base hex (call it hex C).
4. Finally, the ATR lands in hex C and unloads any remaining cargo.

More questions arise:
- Can an ATR fly from hex A loaded with a unit, make the mandatory "stopover" at hex B and land in hex C, unloading there it's original cargo? So, for example, could a Ju-52 transport a unit up to 10 hexes away from it's original base (hex A)?
- Can a large ATR make any combination of divisional transports during it's expedition? For example, carry division 1 from hex A to B, pick division 2 there and fly them both to hex C?

So, as usual, thank you, guys, for reading and for any help! It will help a lot in our Christmas Apocalyptic Campaign!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Roberkhan wrote:

More questions arise:
- Can an ATR fly from hex A loaded with a unit, make the mandatory "stopover" at hex B and land in hex C, unloading there it's original cargo? So, for example, could a Ju-52 transport a unit up to 10 hexes away from it's original base (hex A)?

Yes.

Roberkhan wrote:

- Can a large ATR make any combination of divisional transports during it's expedition? For example, carry division 1 from hex A to B, pick division 2 there and fly them both to hex C?

Hmm. I haven't seen that, but I don't see why not. It doesn't exceed its two-division capacity, and it only has one interim hex (hex B), so I think it's fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rober Khan
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks, Wendell!
Finally, I understood that puzzling rule. Next step: properly translating it...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grog Jones
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As an infrequent poster, I hate to disagree with Wendell but, as we play the rule, you can either transport cargo to the target hex (hex B) or pick up cargo at the target hex - not both.

The wording of the rule is a little vague but 11.12 point 3 is "pick up the units being transported. Alternatively, a unit may start with an ATR and fly with it to a target hex (not to a hex-dot)". So we interpret it as one or the other.

Mind you, I see what you mean about the second question on large ATR. I don't think its ever come up in one of our games, but I'm guessing we would apply the same rule interpretation and not allow it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rober Khan
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hmm, I see... This adverb "alternatively" seems important. I think we'll go with your most restrictive interpretation, Jes, as it seems more fair. After all, if the range of the transport is X, it doesn't seem appropiate that it can transport something 2X away.

Thank you both, anyway! This forum really saves my life.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Roberkhan wrote:
Hmm, I see... This adverb "alternatively" seems important. I think we'll go with your most restrictive interpretation, Jes, as it seems more fair. After all, if the range of the transport is X, it doesn't seem appropiate that it can transport something 2X away.

But it CAN, if the ATR starts in the same hex as the land unit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rober Khan
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmb
Point 8: surviving ATRs can unload their cargo at the target hexes;

You're right, it can do it. So, we assume it doesn't have to do it. Buff, what a rule, man!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Popovich
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
This is the correct interpretation, I believe.

Any ATR, large or small, may either pick up or drop off at the target hex, not both.

BIll P

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.