Dann May
Australia
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Hi! Pleased to meet you.
mbmbmbmbmb
Greetings experienced players,... I'd like to play this game with some of my friends who like the series but have never played hobby games before. Although I love the look of the rules I think some of my friends may struggle with the amount of rules for their first game and I dont want to turn them off...so... I'm wondering do you think leaving out the Wildling attacks would work? It seems of all the rules to be just an extra sorta odd unpredictable mechanic to explain - or does it really make the rest of the game better?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Coleman
United Kingdom
Hampton
Middlesex
flag msg tools
You can easily leave it out if you want. It had little influence on the two games I've played so far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angry Augury
Japan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That seems like an extremely simple aspect of the game to leave out. There's nothing tricky about it at all. You move the marker up if a symbol appears on the Westeros cards. If an attack card comes up or the track reaches 12 you fight them off in the exact same method as bidding. So unless you're completely scrapping the Westeros cards and the bidding for the influence tracks there should be no reason why your group couldn't handle the occasional threat of the Wildlings.

And I would say it's not something to throw out, even if they may not make frequent appearances. It's not the fact that they attack that's so important, it's the fact that they could attack. If players knew they never had to worry about Wildlings, they'd be a lot more aggressive with bidding on the Influence tracks and dropping down power to hold areas. The Wildlings help balance things by not knowing if and when you'll need extra power.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Banks
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I agree with both replies so far in different ways..

If you explain the rest of the rules (which can take 20-30mins with newcomers - trust me!) then it will only add on an extra couple to explain Wildlings, and they do add an extra element to the game - especially thematically for those who know the source material!

However if that sort of thing doesn't bother you then yes, I think the Wildlings are the one, and perhaps only, thing that if you dropped from the game it would still function pretty much the same. Of course you'd lose something, but I can see that it just adds another thing for new players to remember and might just tip them over the edge..

Let me know how it goes, I played a game recently with only newcomers (including myself!) so I know it can be tough, but well worth it I assure you How many you got?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dann May
Australia
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Hi! Pleased to meet you.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got two total newcomers, one very casual gamer and myself so far. I could rope in a few more experienced gamers, but didnt want to intimidate the new guys.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julio

Hidalgo
Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Be very careful when explaining the supply limits and their relation to mustering (when mustering you can't never exceed supplies), and remember when you lose supply territories you don't immediately adjust the limit but until a new supply card is played.

One important thing to keep in mind (I forgot it in my first play) is those limits apply only to armies (2 or more units in the same territory). A single unit is not an army.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.