Martin Manning
Australia
Adelaide
South Australia
flag msg tools
designer
err... I like boardgames!?!
badge
D'oh! I bought overtext even though I have nothing interesting to say.
mbmbmbmbmb
The BGG uploading rules are pretty clear about this:
Quote:
Please do NOT submit individual images for every mini or every card in a minis heavy or card heavy game.

And yet, as I type this, the "hot" images gallery on the front page is filled with multiple images from the same game. Specifically, we've got every individual resource card from a forthcoming game being uploaded separately. These cards could easily have been uploaded as a single image, and I suspect the reason this hasn't been done is because the uploader is in fact the publisher of the game, and is seeking to get maximum exposure for his product by drowning out the competition.

This seems to be becoming a common practice; I recall the same publisher doing this with a previous game, and I also recall a card game funded through kickstarter doing the same thing earlier this year.

I appreciate that as a small publisher, the need to build hype and anticipation is paramount, and the options for doing so through the proper channels (i.e. pay for advertising or sponsor a contest on BGG) are limited, but this isn't the right way to go about it. The rules are clear on this, and given that the uploader has a financial interest in ignoring these rules, I don't see how this can be interpreted as anything other than spam... perhaps the moderators might like to treat it as such?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Manning
Australia
Adelaide
South Australia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Update: Having become aware of the rules, the publisher in question has kindly removed the offending images and replaced them with a single multi-card image. Perhaps neither uploaders nor geekmodders are being made sufficiently aware of the rules?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto Vaccari
Italy
Nonantola (Mo)
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, problem derivates from the Admins, that approve a game made by a single card.

Geekmodding of the images is AFTER the approval of games by the Admins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes cum Grano Salis
United States
Finger Lakes
New York
flag msg tools
badge
"It's not hard to design a game that works, the real challenge is making one that people want to play again and again."--Martin Wallace
mbmbmbmbmb
Aaaaaaaaand this is why my GeekMod image percentages are so awful. I should really write a script that autochecks the "Individual Component" checkbox. Maybe that and the "Bad Glare" one.

J
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I personally wonder why SO MANY individual component images get through when it is a clear rule NOT to upload those. And then people apparently DON'T CARE and try and try again submitting them to maximize their GG.
Maybe after numerous offences of "individual components" a user should be banned from uploading images for a limited time, or forever?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Mellby
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't mind seeing an individual component.
I usually think one or two examples are great for getting a feel
for the game or explaining what a card/component will do.
This is almost necessary for a good review.

What isn't good is when every single component of a
game has its own image. Who is approving all these anyway?

And I thought the rule wasn't to exclude any individual
component/card image, but exclude the mass spamming of
the whole game.

John
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Promise me there won't be any squares at my funeral
mbmbmbmbmb
The Le Havre gallery is the worst for this. Every single card is there -- 17 pages worth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ender Wiggins
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tzer wrote:
I personally wonder why SO MANY individual component images get through when it is a clear rule NOT to upload those. And then people apparently DON'T CARE and try and try again submitting them to maximize their GG.
Maybe after numerous offences of "individual components" a user should be banned from uploading images for a limited time, or forever?

I don't believe that the intent is to exclude all photos of individual components as such.

A separate photo of a game-board, a separate photo of a detailed player mat, a separate photo of an important player reference card, or even a separate photo of a key game piece (e.g. Wallenstein/Shogun's cube tower) - these are all pictures of individual components. But they are certainly the kinds of photos that we do want in the image galleries for games.

The reason for giving mods this option when declining images was more directed to give opportunity to reject multiple pictures of individual components that are essentially the same, such as individual cards in a card game (as was the case here), or multiple pictures of each different coloured player pawn. I wonder if this should be spelled out more clearly on the geekmod approval page.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, I'm aware of that, but it still happens too often that people try to upload every single card from a card game as a seperate image, which is pretty annoying when GMing

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Recently people aren't even bothering to add a meaningful caption, claiming that they are too busy uploading their other 20,000 pending, uncaptioned, photos. I'd ask what the geekmodders were thinking, but I know the answer.

B>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deviated in his zealotry? Surely not
Sweden
flag msg tools
Help, I'm being held prisoner in an overtext typing facility! I don't have much time, they could find out at any m
badge
I'm that weirdo whose number of badges sold prior to yesterday Bail Organa is keeping track of
mbmbmbmb
I always decline single cards and miniatures. Most of them get approved. Single preview cards for upcoming games are always approved.

Note that as has been pointed out in the bugs forum, the "single component" button doesn't send a message to the submitter in case the image is declined, so checking it is currently a waste of effort.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Manning
Australia
Adelaide
South Australia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mere days after I started this thread in response to the actions of one publisher (who thankfully did the right thing and removed the images), another publisher has decided to do the same thing. This time, the spam seems even spammier, as each image is captioned with a link to the game's kickstarter page.

I don't understand why the mods haven't cracked down on this. Essentially, this is advertising on the front page of BGG, and yet the site isn't making a cent off it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raiko Puust
Estonia
Keila
Harju Maakond
flag msg tools
designer
Raiko & Agnes Forever! Feel the Love and Feel the Warmth. Happiness is 2 hugs plus 3 kisses every hour...:D (http://mrboardgames.wordpress.com/)
badge
Addicted Estonian gamer with big heart and direct winning attitude. Need any help with something, just ask. Need some GG for something, just ask. Need something to be translated, just ask. Meanwhile, behave! :D (http://mrboardgames.wordpress.com/)
mbmbmbmbmb
ludopoly wrote:
The BGG uploading rules are pretty clear about this:
Quote:
Please do NOT submit individual images for every mini or every card in a minis heavy or card heavy game.

And yet, as I type this, the "hot" images gallery on the front page is filled with multiple images from the same game. Specifically, we've got every individual resource card from a forthcoming game being uploaded separately. These cards could easily have been uploaded as a single image, and I suspect the reason this hasn't been done is because the uploader is in fact the publisher of the game, and is seeking to get maximum exposure for his product by drowning out the competition.

This seems to be becoming a common practice; I recall the same publisher doing this with a previous game, and I also recall a card game funded through kickstarter doing the same thing earlier this year.

I appreciate that as a small publisher, the need to build hype and anticipation is paramount, and the options for doing so through the proper channels (i.e. pay for advertising or sponsor a contest on BGG) are limited, but this isn't the right way to go about it. The rules are clear on this, and given that the uploader has a financial interest in ignoring these rules, I don't see how this can be interpreted as anything other than spam... perhaps the moderators might like to treat it as such?

As you can read the rules: Please do NOT submit individual images for every mini or every card in a minis heavy or card heavy game.

Rule clearly does not apply to not mini and card heavy games. Where does one game starts being card heavy game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raiko Puust
Estonia
Keila
Harju Maakond
flag msg tools
designer
Raiko & Agnes Forever! Feel the Love and Feel the Warmth. Happiness is 2 hugs plus 3 kisses every hour...:D (http://mrboardgames.wordpress.com/)
badge
Addicted Estonian gamer with big heart and direct winning attitude. Need any help with something, just ask. Need some GG for something, just ask. Need something to be translated, just ask. Meanwhile, behave! :D (http://mrboardgames.wordpress.com/)
mbmbmbmbmb
Kaffedrake wrote:
I always decline single cards and miniatures. Most of them get approved. Single preview cards for upcoming games are always approved.

Note that as has been pointed out in the bugs forum, the "single component" button doesn't send a message to the submitter in case the image is declined, so checking it is currently a waste of effort.

Please remember that the single component rule is for card and mini HEAVY games only, not all games!!! Please go after the rules.

I will decline all individual component pictures to mini games (most gamesworkshop games etc..) and all single card uploads (when not CREATIVE) to a card games, but I will approve a single card to a board game, even if it has a lot of cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raiko Puust
Estonia
Keila
Harju Maakond
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thepackrat wrote:
Recently people aren't even bothering to add a meaningful caption, claiming that they are too busy uploading their other 20,000 pending, uncaptioned, photos. I'd ask what the geekmodders were thinking, but I know the answer.

B>

When people have time to complain about captions like

"Cards from the game" to make it to "Baron cards from the game" then there is all right, since this is the smallest problem one could find.

It is very easy to tag, caption and do what ever when you have only like 100 pictures, but when you have not played the game, it is nearly impossible to keep track of lets say over 100 000 cards for each game. That is why there are people around geek, who instead of complaining help out and tell me, what should be the best caption.

And with every single game I upload pictures to, I will look over the game description and stats, even measure the game weigh it as well, but yeah, that is not important. Who cares that all games should have pictures, just as long every caption goes over even the smallest details....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raiko Puust
Estonia
Keila
Harju Maakond
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And one more thing.

As each publisher has rights to his own game gallery, he basically may upload those one card preview pictures, as long as he says he is the publisher.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
binraix wrote:
thepackrat wrote:

B>

"Cards from the game" to make it to "Baron cards from the game" then there is all right, since this is the smallest problem one could find.

It is very easy to tag, caption and do what ever when you have only like 100 pictures, but when you have not played the game, it is nearly impossible to keep track of lets say over 100 000 cards for each game. That is why there are people around geek, who instead of complaining help out and tell me, what should be the best caption.

And with every single game I upload pictures to, I will look over the game description and stats, even measure the game weigh it as well, but yeah, that is not important. Who cares that all games should have pictures, just as long every caption goes over even the smallest details....

Let's be crystal clear. You added multiple duplicate pictures to a game with hundreds if not thousands of images already and every one was labelled "a random selection of cards (high quality)"

Given that it turns out you are doing this for games you haven't played that don't need any more pictures, I can only question your motives.

B>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
binraix wrote:
And one more thing.

As each publisher has rights to his own game gallery, he basically may upload those one card preview pictures, as long as he says he is the publisher.

Would you care to point out where this fact is written? How are conflicts between multiple publishers settled?

B>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raiko Puust
Estonia
Keila
Harju Maakond
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thepackrat wrote:
binraix wrote:
And one more thing.

Would you care to point out where this fact is written? How are conflicts between multiple publishers settled?

B>

Copyright owner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raiko Puust
Estonia
Keila
Harju Maakond
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thepackrat wrote:
binraix wrote:
thepackrat wrote:

B>

Let's be crystal clear. You added multiple duplicate pictures to a game with hundreds if not thousands of images already and every one was labelled "a random selection of cards (high quality)"

Given that it turns out you are doing this for games you haven't played that don't need any more pictures, I can only question your motives.

B>

Duplicate pictures?

I spend about 80% of the it takes to upload anything going thought image galleries, no matter how much pictures there are. And the more pictures there are, the bigger chance is there, that there are no actual game board scan, or even pictures, just as was with this game. When you think that game needs no more pictures, is just your opinion as is my choice to add images to where I see them lacking.

If you have duplicate images, just write to Indigopotter, with official claim, and she will take care of it as she is the image admin.

Seriously, this is very very stupid complaint, don't get me wrong. If geek would show corrections each users makes, you would know where so many many games get their info, designers etc, but well, let me all be concerned about caption wording...lol.

I think I will start wording captions in Estonian, but I will make them detailed enough. Where is it said it should even be in English?

Seriously, guys like you always make me regret I put so much effort into this site, because you just assume that it is easy and all the info and stuff just appears to the game sites by themselves. Like magic.
I have myself deleted over 500 of my own images, later when I got better image qualities, but some random caption you personally don't like makes me shake my head and sigh.

I follow the rules of BGG not some random user who has no appreciation to the work of others.
Please go complain under videos, that captions or descriptions are not detailed enough or some other place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
To be fair, you should probably use a word other than 'random.' It sounds like ARE actually fairly careful in your selections!

But that's just my pet peeve
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raiko Puust
Estonia
Keila
Harju Maakond
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
scifiantihero wrote:
To be fair, you should probably use a word other than 'random.' It sounds like ARE actually fairly careful in your selections!

But that's just my pet peeve

Just Card Examples is what I usually use, sometimes when there are a ton of cards I just put random card examples.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.