Popular Tags: [View All]
Madhujith Venkatakrishna
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi All,

Thanks to everyone for helping me out with the questions I had in the canal phase that was posted before this. Now that I completed the game have some questions from the Rail phase:

- I was trying out a solo version of 3 player game to get a hang of the game and did remove the 15 cards as required (9 in canal and 6 in rail). In the end I ended up with an unequal number of cards in hand for different colors. Have I done something wrong or is it the right thing to happen?

- For Barrow-in-Furness the general rule of taking an iron/ coal from the demand track does not hold true and it needs to be connected with a rail link to be put in use, correct?

- Is it possible to just discard a card ant not take an action, something like pass?

- I ended up with the following scores Yellow-109, Purple- 84 and Red- 71. What are the usual scores?

- I'm guessing spending money to a state where you cannot pay back in case your income is negative is not allowed?

- Apart from the 2 VP's what is the advantage of connecting to places like Southport, Blackpool etc.?

I know some of the questions might sound stupid and absurd, but I guess having to play 3 people for the 1st game of Brass might have had that effect on me

Thanks for the help.

Despite all this I JUST LOVED THIS GAME!!

Thanks,
Madhu
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Ferreira
Portugal
Porto Salvo
Porto Salvo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1 - You done something wrong. As there are 66 cards, on the canal phase you have (66-9) 57 cards -> 19 actions for each player.
On the rail phase 60 cards -> 20 actions for each player. That is 10 plays for each player in each phase.

2 - You always need to be connected to a port or mine to get a coal cube. To the mine to take it from there, or to a port to take it from the demand track.

3 - Yes.

4 - Too low. something between 180-200 maybe more. Playing with 3.

5 - You can have negative income. No problem with that. You can check the track where this is shown.

6 - You can make the connection by there to get to the demand track, but the 2 VPs is a good option, specially at the end of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Tadyshak
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
1. I think you are supposed to Shuffle back in the cards you removed in the Canal age and then take out the 9 cards.

2. You don't need connections for iron, but coal still needs the rail link. It also needs a rail link to a port to access the demand track.

4. If you ever can't pay your negative income, you have to give up a built industry tile on the board. This is really a bad situation to get into.

5.The outside cities are also external ports, so you can use them to ship cotton to the distant market and get coal from the demand track.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Burster of Bubbles, Destroyer of Dreams.
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
Just imagine the red offboard up here. I'll create it Real Soon Now...
badge
Yes, I know a proper 18XX tile should have a tile number.
mbmbmbmbmb
At the end of the Canal phase, the cards that were removed are shuffled back in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Burster of Bubbles, Destroyer of Dreams.
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
Just imagine the red offboard up here. I'll create it Real Soon Now...
badge
Yes, I know a proper 18XX tile should have a tile number.
mbmbmbmbmb
You might find it educational to look at some logs of completed games on the online server: http://brass.orderofthehammer.com/index.php

As a randomly picked example, this board: http://brass.orderofthehammer.com/board.php?GameID=24657

came from this log of actions:
http://brass.orderofthehammer.com/viewticker.php?GameID=2465...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Flowers

Odenton
Unspecified
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) Those are the right numbers of cards for 3 players. There are 66 cards. Removing 9 cards in canal leaves 57 cards, which is enough for "nine and a half" turns (first turn is 1 card only). Removing 6 cards in rail leaves 60 cards, enough for 10 full turns.

Did you perhaps forget to shuffle back in the 9 cards removed in the canal age? You need to do this before removing the 6 cards for rail. You should never have 15 cards removed, that is too much.

2) There is nothing special about Barrow in Furness with regards to using iron/coal from the demand track. Iron can be taken from anywhere on the board (or from demand track if none). Coal must be transported over rail links from either the closest coal mine on the board (or from the demand track if none - must be connected to a port or port symbol).

3) You can pass by discarding a card.

4) It's been awhile since I've played, but those feel low for 3 player. 4 player games a winning score is usually 130-160ish, so should be higher for 3 players since they get more of the board. Did you try to avoid building too many Level 1 industries? Better to build Level 2 or higher in the canal age to get more points. (Develop more!)

5) No, it is allowed. There's some rule somewhere about if you cannot afford to pay your negative income, you must sell industries off of the board to make up the difference. (I'm not that familiar with the rule because I've never seen anyone get this bad off.)

6) 2 VPS is one of the reasons. Other might be that you need to go through that area to extend your network to a critical spot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like you've got good answers to all of your questions. I just wanted to add that none of your questions are stupid. First, Mr. Wallace does not write the clearest rule books in the world. Second, Brass is a bit of a quirky game, by anyone's standards. Third, a lot of things do not become clear, until after you've applied them, during the game.

Don't get discouraged. Brass is a terrific game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Madhujith Venkatakrishna
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Firstly THANKS A TON TO EVERYONE for such wonderful guidance. Seriously I can't think of a more cohesive forum than this one.

I now know that I've made some mistakes, will definitely not give up on this and sure this has hit the most favorable spot for me.

Thanks again!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
Don't fall in love with me yet, we only recently met
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
- I ended up with the following scores Yellow-109, Purple- 84 and Red- 71. What are the usual scores?

Yes, those are low, but that's not at all surprising for a first game! A good 3-player score is 180+, but it'll take you a few games to see how to get to that. The key is developing lots of the L1 industries instead of building them, and getting as many L2+ industries built in the canal era as possible because they score twice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.