Popular Tags: [View All]
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Replays of Partisan RSG game (Donna's 300th redux)

After getting my head handed to me in Donna's 300th game (see that sad, sudden story here: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/736057/300th-game-of-cc for the background) we decided to try out my second-guess force selection and setup tactics for the same game.

Taking the same draws defining my Random Partisan force, I chose the following for the rematch game:

8 troops (32 silhouettes) 8 vps
4 Gangs (24 silhouettes) 4 vps
2 teams (4 silhouettes) 2 vps
4 leaders (0 silhouettes) 8vps
total = 60 silhouettes 22vps

Since Donna had chosen the German Rifle Company for 33 vps, I still had 11vps to spend on support and fortifications.

Then having pulled the force card allowing purchase of another leader and any number of sections (3 silhouettes each) as support, I purchased:

Vassili 2 vps
9 sections 9vps
(Remember I had lost ALL of my faith in fortifications for Partisan scenarios.)

This left zero points and forced both German and Partisan forces into Recon Posture.

Recon posture gives Partisans a 4-card, and Germans a 5-card-hand. The extra sections allow me to fully stack all of my hexes already containing Troops, and give 9 extra fp points to include in partisan close-range fireteams.

Another benefit of Recon Posture for the partisans was that it forced the Germans, with higher initiative, to set up first. Donna set up both above and below the major cliff, but with the main firebase (2 hmgs and two '2-command' leaders in the same hex) on the highest ground.

I responded by setting up all of my forces except leaders as close as possible to the Germans, with most of the leaders substantially to the rear, in positions where they could see most or all of the partisan units. Local Hero Nina I set up with a Gang, since she has conventional 1-command rather than 'line of sight' command ability.

The game started with the Germans blasting the most dangerous threats, the front-rank units with molotovs, killing and breaking them effectively. She left partisan leaders strictly alone, which I think may have been a mistake. With the big long-range fireteam the Germans have the ability to kill Partisan leaders wherever they appear on the map.

The Partisans got a couple of recovers and an advance order before the 'Big Advance'. That order defined FIVE melee hexes, with good partisan advantages in three of them. I decided to try a couple of longshot melees, as I already held an ambush, and hoped to draw another before melee resolution. Also, partisan units are much less valuable than German units, both because there are plenty more of them to start, and because the partisan force has no surrender level. I won three of the five.

On the high ground, more turns of the constant attrition of Partisan units to the fearsome German fire left very few active units there, the remainder falling back.

On the middle ground below the cliff, Partisans did better, with additional fire and melees nearly wiping out the Germans there.

When the game ended to sudden death, after secret objectives were revealed, the Partisans were seven points up for a convincing victory.

What I had learned was that even with the new paradigm on Partisan force choice and setup, it is still VERY difficult to deal with the major German firebase. I never seemed to be able to put together sufficiently large fireteams to seriously interrupt it, because Donna is very good about holding a Recover or two in her hand. Also, the melee firepower of that hex was 18, which is WAY higher than the best possible seven-partisan-silhouette-melee-firepower of 11 (two sections and a '1' leader, or a crew + troop + leader). I thought I MIGHT be able to hurt it badly with fire, if I optimized everything in the Partisan setup to that effect.

I asked to play again, and Donna consented, looking forward to beating me a second time to break our 1:1 tie in this RSG scenario.

So, with exactly the same units, only new secret objectives, Donna set up her Rifle company again. This time she placed them all on the highest ground. I think she made a tactical error by placing the major firebase in the center of her force, only two hexes from my setup hexes. With her 2-command leaders she could have set it up on hex row 'O' which would have prevented me from putting big immediate firepower into that hex.

Partisans set up nearly every unit on the high ground, optimizing placement so that the fire of each unit had the central German firebase within its range.

[imageid=] (I will add this photo as soon as we get back from Florida)

German turn one saw the partisan hex containing a Gang and Nina Local Hero shot to shreds. But this only reduced my potential firepower by 2, and my partisans were ready to respond, playing their own fire card.

Using two fireteams I had a total of 27 firepower to distribute. I chose to use 14 of them through no brush hindrance for the first draw, with the remaining 13-3=10 for the second draw. I figured I might break both of the 2-command leaders with the first fire, making it much easier to eliminate the hmg teams with the second fire.

It worked out REMARKABLY well. My first fire broke one German team and both leaders, and my second, with a low draw, managed to eliminate one team and break the other, but both leaders survived, broken. Then my single, lowly, despised light mortar hit the same hex and eliminated the second hmg team !!

I was so happy I almost kissed the mortar chit ! Both German hmgs gone on the first Partisan turn !!

Then on Donna's second turn she discarded five, and I realized I had caught her without a Recover card. Her two broken leaders in the same hex were in serious jeopardy.

I also discarded my entire hand for turn 2, not having another fire card to finish the execution. I drew TWO fires and smiled to myself, trying hard to look disappointed for Donna's benefit. (We do occasional psy-war, but by now know one another so well that it usually doesn't work.)

When She again discarded five, I KNEW I would win the game. My Partisans, on their third turn, blasted the shattered German command hex with a 23fp attack, and even with a draw of only 4, that inevitably stamped "paid" to the accounts of both German 2-command leaders ! My partisans were VERY lucky that in the first 15 cards, Donna's Germans drew zero Recover orders.

Now things looked extremely bleak for the Germans, outnumbered and with most of their troops out of command of the remaining '9-1' German leader. But Donna never seriously considered resigning the game.

We played on, and the Germans initiated Melee in two hexes. An unlucky melee result eliminated the final German leader ! Did she concede? Of course not.

The partisans kept up the pressure, and commenced numerous melees over a long mid-game, trying to drive the Germans to surrender. The problem was, my boys were getting clobbered in these melees.

It sounds impossible, I know, but I swear I set up a total of 9 melees with a partisan troop plus section against a German squad. The starting fp advantage in those 9 hexes was 9-5. I lost SEVEN of those 9 melees due to either low partisan draws or high German draws. And Donna, as usual, was Bogart-ing the Initiative card ! I can't even imagine how high the odds are against losing fourteen units in that fashion. But of course those partisan-initiated melee losses, plus German melees and fire, pretty much wiped out the Partisan forces, putting a total of TWENTY-ONE partisan units on the casualty track. I've never seen that many dead units before. Yowee, many Russian villages would be in mourning for their fathers, brothers, husbands and sons.

In the late game Donna made a run at my rear areas with a single German squad, scattering the partisan leaders hanging back there, and pursued by my only remaining crew, section, and troop. Dietl came into play to assist this squad, and together they succeeded in capturing objective #3, worth four points to the Germans, just before sudden death ended the game. When the German secret objective was revealed the victory point marker stood at exactly one on the partisan side. But my secret objective was 1=1vp and Donna had just casually moved through objective #1 to recapture it as well !! There, mocking me in Donna's card rack, was the Initiative card. With zero leaders she had again SOMEHOW come from behind to win the narrowest of victories possible.

It was a GREAT game, though, and could have gone either way at probably fifty different points.

We really like the Resistance expansion to the game, and are now convinced that the RSG works very well and is balanced for Partisan commands in a Random game.

Just be certain to never allow Defender posture to befall your Partisans.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dustin boggs
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
these are my overtexts and
badge
now I am without geek gold :(
mbmbmbmbmb
interesting read.... I can only hope to achieve your 300 in my lifetime cry

I love it how she wouldnt yield and won in the end

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Christensen
Denmark
Solroed Strand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't see the pics!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks a lot Slotracer, fixed them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Kehrer
United States
West Grove
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmb
I was just looking through your session report, and it looks like some pretty fun games. I really enjoy the resistance expansion too, and wish I could play it more often. As I was reading near the beginning, I saw that you spent enough on support rolls to make a recon scenario. When I looked at the picture from your setup though, it looked like the forces were set up as an attacker and defender (germans in first three hexes and partisans in first 12). I thought for recon both forces got to set up in the first 6 hexes from their board edge if it was narrow and first 4 if it was wide orientation. I'm just wondering if this is different for when the partisans are involved?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jordan, you are right, and I missed this important difference in setup. Pretty much invalidates most of my conclusions.

So maybe we must try it a few more times to see if the partisans can win in Recon posture when the Germans can set up farther away.

Thanks for pointing that out, amigo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
ramkitty wrote:

I love it how she wouldnt yield and won in the end

You NEVER, EVER concede in Combat Commander. Ever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.