Popular Tags: [View All]
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Figured some here might be interested, since some aspects of the board game are based on the computer game.

GamersGate just put Space Empires 4 on sale, 60% off. It's now less than $4.

You can get it here:
http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-SEMP4/space-empires-4
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Space Empires 5 is also on sale - $7.98. Although I hear many people prefer Space Empires 4.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
Apollo Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Both of those games are really good. IV especially. If you still have the strategy first coupon from p500 for SE4x will it work on gamers gate?

I've been playing a ton of Distant Worlds and it's new expansion Legends. Really well made game. The governor ai actually keeps the game from falling apart when you get to the endgame with 100s of colonies. Its on sale until jan 8 I think. http://matrixgames.com/products/379/details/Distant.Worlds

Also just picked up Starbase Orion for my new iPad. Basically Master of Orion 2 clone with asynchronous multiplayer over gamecenter. Pretty slick. http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/starbase-orion/id438375580?uo...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C F
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played both SE4 and SE5 extensively - in my opinion they are the best space 4X games out there. I have to give the edge to SE5 though, just because it takes everything great about SE4 and adds even more - more techs, more customization, better combat (although neither game's combat ever worked very well), better multiplayer, etc.

The one thing that I love most about SE5 over SE4 is the more slower pace to the game - primarily because planetary bodies are discovered with sensors (an option during setup). It means that when you arrive at a new system, you don't automatically see everything right off the bat. Makes exploration more realistic.

The interface can be tough to get past (which is a bit over-criticized), but once you do, the game is really fun. But don't even try playing it without the Balance Mod - it turns it from a mediocre game to a great game. SE5 is one of those games marred by a bad launch and a lot of negative rumor, but is actually quite good now if you're willing to give it a try (Elemental: War of Magic suffered from the same problem).

I've played Distant Worlds quite a bit too. At first I loved it, but then I started to realize I didn't like how automated it all was. I never felt like I had control over anything, and if I tried turning off the automation, the micromanagement became unbearable and it became impossible to keep up with the AI. DW is a fun game, it just takes away too much control.

Anyway, bottom line: You can't go wrong picking up SE4 or SE5 (SE3 too). They're great!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
Apollo Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Yes you do have to give up stuff to the AI. They get you used to the idea right off the bat with the AI controlling private sector ships. Some of the new stuff in the expansion lets you give the AI directives for work too so they kind of meet you half way in terms of micromanaging. I can't imagine trying to micro everything though, way too much detail. The game kind of lets you zoom in and make changes/see detail when you want to but to do it 100% of the time would be daunting.

SE5 is probably underrated, it might have been too slow for me. Either way, great game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved to Hot Deals

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David K
United States
Colorado Springs
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For those that prefer Steam, it's on sale over there for $4.99 right now, too. I like to have my games through the same client, and that makes it worth and extra buck to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayfield
United States
flag msg tools
djklaus wrote:
For those that prefer Steam I like to have my games through the same client,

no client needed for gamersgate, SE4 is DRM free from the gamersgate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayfield
United States
flag msg tools
Felkor wrote:
Figured some here might be interested, since some aspects of the board game are based on the computer game.

the boardgame has no affiliation with the computer game. perhaps you should have worded it like this:
"some aspects of the board game are based on this computer game."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David K
United States
Colorado Springs
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mayfield703 wrote:
no client needed for gamersgate, SE4 is DRM free from the gamersgate.

I didn't mean to imply that it was. I just mean that after a reinstall, it's easier to back up all my games from one location than try to remember all the sites I've purchased games from before, or mess with CDs. But to each his own.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayfield
United States
flag msg tools
they also have a free web browser version called Space Empires: Battle for Supremacy

http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-SEBSFB/space-empires-battle-for...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.