Subject: Help me pick my next solo game! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Travis Larsen

Lehi
Utah
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So the wifey says I can get one game for Christmas, and since I have a harder time getting other people to play games with me, I want to get a solo game or at least a game that plays well solo. Really the only thing I'm looking for is a game that's FUN! Some games that I've been enjoying solo recently are Lord of the Rings: The Card Game, Arkham Horror, Gears of War, and Ghost Stories. The two games I've been eyeing a lot is Mage Knight Board Game and Fortune and Glory. Which of these two would you recommend? Do you have other solo recommendations? Thanks in advance! Merry Christmas!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
Dungeons & Dragons: The Legend of Drizzt Board Game has a solo scenario and other scenarios that you can also play with the wifey and friends. meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Parker
United States
Aggieland
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
You're only young once...but you can be immature the rest of your life!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Race for the Galaxy with the Race for the Galaxy: The Gathering Storm expansion which added a great solo play mechanic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Lownds
United Kingdom
Swansea
uk
flag msg tools
badge
Merry Christmas, you filthy animal
mbmbmbmbmb
Dawn of the Zeds or maybe even Nemo's War. Both very different, Both fantastic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Morgan
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jamjams32 wrote:
The two games I've been eyeing a lot is Mage Knight Board Game and Fortune and Glory.

Funny that these are my two most recent purchases

I played my first game of Mage Knight this weekend and it's simply amazing. There are plenty of scenarios in the rulebook to keep you busy, and there is a section in the rules for adding an "AI" player (a random timer, really) to turn multi-player scenarios into solo games. If you're so inclined, there's a lot of room to expand the game with your own setups or scenarios. It has potential to be a "build your own RPG boardgame" kit. If you like Gears and LotR, This one would be my first pick, hands down.

I got Fortune and Glory from coolstuffinc.com when they had it on deep discount, and opened it up to look through the components last night. It's up to par with other Flying Frog games - nice thick cardstock components, a ton of cards and minis, and a very nice board. I'm not through the rulebook yet, but it appears to have three modes - a basic game, a coop game, and a competitive game. I saw a reference to single-player rules, but haven't gotten to those yet.

You mentioned Arkham Horror, and it's another great choice, but have you looked at Elder Sign? Some folks call it "Arkham Horror Lite" and that's a fair assessment. It plays very quickly, is a lot of fun, and you don't need a huge play space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Lacock
United States
Wylie
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Phantom Leader is a super solitaire game. It is different from the other games you listed, but since I like those games too, I thought I'd throw this out there. Easy to learn and fun to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Erskine
United States
Alexandria
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like we have very similar tastes. I'd go with Defenders of the Realm or any of the Dungeons & Dragons games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mexico
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
+1 vote for Mage Knight Board Game

I've also played Dungeoneer: Tomb of the Lich Lord 2nd edition with the solo rules, and it's pretty good for a 30 min session.

Another game that I enjoy a lot, with a solo rules variant, is World of Warcraft: The Boardgame with both expansions; it takes quite a while to setup and play though, but the possibilities for character customization offer a lot of replay value.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rob cavallo
United States
roseland
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
def +1 for Elder Sign

I have arkham horror, but no one likes to play with me.

This is alot of fun, and not as much of a time drain.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin
Canada
Saskatoon
SK
flag msg tools
mbmb
+1 for Phantom Leader.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you happen to have an iPhone/iPad you can get Elder Sign on that for cheap and still pick up another solo boardgame

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.