Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim Wilde
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wraith attacks with her "Wraith-a-rang" doing projectile damage. She also has a modifier in play that adds 2 to her projectile attacks. Also, there is an environment card, Cramped Quarters, which converts all attacks to melee damage.

Do I add the modifier and then convert it to melee damage? Or must I convert it to melee damage first, preventing me from adding the modifier?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Imp Rovius
United States
Fairport
New York
flag msg tools
mb
I *think* it depends on which card was played first - the environment card or Wraith's modifier card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Wilde
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know that order of play applies to triggered effects, but this is more like a simultaneous one. Which happens first, does the environment change the damage type to melee and prevent the modifier, or does the modifier apply, and then the environment change it to melee?

My guess is that the player gets to choose (as with other simultaneous effects), but I'm not sure, hence the question.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Imp Rovius
United States
Fairport
New York
flag msg tools
mb
Ok, based on the discussion here: http://greaterthangames.info/forum/index.php/topic,120.15.ht..., type-based damage modifiers are determined at the time the damage is actually dealt to the target. So any cards that change damage type would be resolved first and in the order that they were played. Then after all that, when the "final" damage type has been determined, you figure in any type-based modifiers. So the +2 projectile damage would NOT apply in your example.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Wasson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
DAD JOKES
badge
Never trot when you can prance.
mbmbmbmbmb
Modifiers apply when the damage is dealt, after any type changes. So Wraith would lose the boost from her +2 to her projectile damage.

More info on the official forums: http://greaterthangames.info/forum/index.php/topic,120.0.htm...

EDIT: ninja'd
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ketigid ketigid
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Will it make thematic sense if I say, when in doubt, environmental effects and modifiers always subsume character effects and modifiers. After all, the characters are fighting IN the environment, so the environment is the master.

For example, Wraith-a-rang will get a +2 damage if it is thrown a projectile, but since she is fighting in Cramped Quarters, the space constrains her throwing abilities so the +2 doesn't apply and her Wraith-a-rang effectively becomes a blunt weapon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Imp Rovius
United States
Fairport
New York
flag msg tools
mb
ketigid wrote:
Will it make thematic sense if I say, when in doubt, environmental effects and modifiers always subsume character effects and modifiers. After all, the characters are fighting IN the environment, so the environment is the master.

For example, Wraith-a-rang will get a +2 damage if it is thrown a projectile, but since she is fighting in Cramped Quarters, the space constrains her throwing abilities so the +2 doesn't apply and her Wraith-a-rang effectively becomes a blunt weapon.

You could make that a house rule, but the official rules would go by order-of-play in applying changes to damage type. So if, for example, Ra played Imbue Fire in a round after Cramped Quarters can into play, Imbue Fire would be applied after Cramped Quarters. The heroes' damage would be fire instead of melee.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.