Star Trek Deck Building Game: The Next Generation» Forums » Rules

Subject: Do destroyed ships participate in wars? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
angel paredes
Peru
flag msg tools
We have a question.

Let's say my ship is destroyed on my turn.

Next player flips a war card.

Do I participate in the war?

We are under the impression an exploded ship is absent from the game for one turn (I think we got this from Resident Evil...and I'm not really sure that's correct in RE either...) so, no effects (positive or negative) or participation in wars for a turn. Is this correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Fanchi
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
angel_peru wrote:
We have a question.

Let's say my ship is destroyed on my turn.

Next player flips a war card.

Do I participate in the war?

We are under the impression an exploded ship is absent from the game for one turn (I think we got this from Resident Evil...and I'm not really sure that's correct in RE either...) so, no effects (positive or negative) or participation in wars for a turn. Is this correct?

There's nothing in the rules that says you are "out of play" until your next turn. I'd say that you're capable of participating in any war that comes up after your turn ends (which happens upon your being defeated, if it was your turn).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Bussema
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Short answer: Yes. Long answer: Keep reading.

There's nothing in the rules to indicate that your ship is out for a turn. In fact you could argue (although I don't recommend this), that a destroyed ship is immediately returned to play with full hit points (it has really bad implications for WAR if you do use this rule). A reasonable interpretation of the rule is "if the current player's ship is destroyed, his turn ends. If another player's ship is destroyed during an opponent's turn, he cannot be targetted by any effects for the duration of the turn, then at the end of the turn, he re-enters the game as normal."

In RE, it is correct that when you "die" you are out of the game for a cycle... during what would have been your next turn, you respawn with 20 fewer max HP and draw your hand (you have no hand until then, and cannot be hurt by grenades, etc.).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
btrhoads
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Q1. 'Do I participate in the war?'

Absolutely ... Yes!

From the rulebook:
Your Flagship is Defeated:
When a player’s flagship is defeated, that player does the following:
a. Gains 1 Ensign.
b. Remove all damage from your flagship.
c. Combines all the cards in your Hand, Discard Area, Deck, and Bridge. Shuffle them together to form a new deck and draw a hand of 5.
d. If you were defeated on your turn, your turn is over.

This is very clear. By the time the next player draws a card, the defeated player from the previous player turn now has a healed ship and 5 cards in their hand and is back in action.

The only real negatives from being destroyed is the player may not have gotten a chance to play some of their cards or take advantage of card effects depending on the order of the actions they chose to perform and they didn't get the points from the war card. If it wasn't their turn to begin with then they could only play cards that pertained to the war anyway and didn't miss out on any card effects or card play.

Q2. '...so, no effects (positive or negative) or participation in wars for a turn. Is this correct?'

This second question is not the same as the first and confuses things. This is not correct! The definition of a turn is when one player plays through the turn sequence. Therefore, if you are destroyed during your turn, your turn ends and you do all the stuff mentioned above and if it was an opponents turn, they finish their turn and you do everything above except for part d. Either way, when the next turn starts, you are fully healed and back in the game as if nothing happened.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Bussema
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are some positive effects from the war...

the player with the most attack (tie: speed, tie: diplomacy) wins the 50 point war card, so that's worth something.

Also, players other than the current player can use the war to manage their hands... play cards you don't want to have in your hand for next turn (but not setups, that's illegal), and then you'll draw until you have 5 cards after the war (assuming you survive, if you're going to die, this won't help, because you'll get 5 random cards). But you might have a lot of diplomacy already and just need some speed in case you explore a starship, so you can play out cards that aren't helping. You might not win the war that way but you might have a better next turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Bussema
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
btrhoads wrote:
If it wasn't their turn to begin with then they could only play cards that pertained to the war anyway and didn't miss out on any card effects or card play.

The only cards they can't play are setups. You can play whatever you'd like, even if it changes nothing in the war, as long as it's not a setup.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.