Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A Southend-in-sea councillor has said that he does not care if smokers die of cancer in a debate about setting aside council homes for non-smokers (the Tories being the party of choice). Is he a total tit or a man of great foresight and honesty?
http://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/9427096.Council_homes_should...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexis Perez
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why are those two statements mutually exclusive?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
alxamp21 wrote:
Why are those two statements mutually exclusive?

Which two?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hopcroft
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IIRC, there was one Central European country that toyed with the idea of encouraging people to smoke so that more people would die younger -- thus saving tax money on pensions.

In the mental health system in this country it is frighteningly common that clients are tacitly encouraged to smoke in the belief that the addictive nicotine is somehow helpful to their mental condition. The idea that "nicotine is good for you, even if smoke isn't" has laregly been debunked, yet the practice persists.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Michael Hopcroft wrote:
IIRC, there was one Central European country that toyed with the idea of encouraging people to smoke so that more people would die younger -- thus saving tax money on pensions.

Possible, but I'd guess what you're thinking of happened when a country was advocating a cigarette tax on the grounds that cigarettes increased the cost of healthcare in the country. The national subsidiary of one of the big tobacco companies commissioned a study to see if this was true and argued based on that study that there was either no net increase or (more likely) a net reduction of costs, mainly because deaths associated with tobacco were quicker and less expensive and also reduced the pension burden.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jasper
Netherlands
Leiden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chad_Ellis wrote:
Michael Hopcroft wrote:

Possible, but I'd guess what you're thinking of happened when a country was advocating a cigarette tax on the grounds that cigarettes increased the cost of healthcare in the country. The national subsidiary of one of the big tobacco companies commissioned a study to see if this was true and argued based on that study that there was either no net increase or (more likely) a net reduction of costs, mainly because deaths associated with tobacco were quicker and less expensive and also reduced the pension burden.
Which country are you referring to?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
It's just a ride...
England
Bury St Edmunds
Suffolk
flag msg tools
badge
mb
slatersteven wrote:
A Southend-in-sea councillor has said that he does not care if smokers die of cancer in a debate about setting aside council homes for non-smokers (the Tories being the party of choice). Is he a total tit or a man of great foresight and honesty?

He's a politician, therefore he's a total tit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shauneroo wrote:
slatersteven wrote:

He's a politician, therefore he's a total tit.

He may be a politician now, he will allways be a total tit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't followed up the quote to know whether it's in context or not, but even with the worst interpretation of it it's not the most crass recent activity by a Conservative politician, even if you are in total agreement with all of their policies. Aidan Burley would be the name to look for - and he was supposed to be one of the high flying intelligent ones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Stone
United States
Texarkana
Texas
flag msg tools
May the bikini be with you!
badge
I destroy SJWs!
mbmbmbmbmb
Death is the logical conclusion of life, especially one spent smoking. Why should that be a heart breaker? If I care about you personally, I'll be quite concerned, but that's your choice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom McPhee
Scotland
Glasgow/ Elgin/ Ullapool (Garve)
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is definitely something in the assertion that smoking is more common in those with paranoid schizophrenia. There are a number of reasonable theories for this from simple boredom on inpatient wards to ventral tegmental dopaminergic projections being blocked by antipsychotics to dysrgeulation of D2 receptors as a primary pathological feature of schizophrenia (anhedonia being a common feature even in untreated folk).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PinkPiggy wrote:
slatersteven wrote:

It's not for me to say how it should work in your country. However, I think it is possible to smoke in home and keep it clean. It just takes a little effort. When I was a young man my friends and I would have LAN parties every weekend and smoke a couple packs of fags each. In the warm weather, the windows would be open. Next day, bleach, baking soda, vacuuming. The walls stayed white, the carpet stayed fresh as a basement carpet can be.

Thats prety much the response he has got "well we are not filthy aminals and clean our homes".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hopcroft
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tommcphee wrote:
There is definitely something in the assertion that smoking is more common in those with paranoid schizophrenia. There are a number of reasonable theories for this from simple boredom on inpatient wards to ventral tegmental dopaminergic projections being blocked by antipsychotics to dysrgeulation of D2 receptors as a primary pathological feature of schizophrenia (anhedonia being a common feature even in untreated folk).

Thanks, but could you translate that into English for me?

All I know for sure is that whenever I go to a mental health clinic there are always people going outside to smoke, regardless of how miserable the weather is. Going outside to smoke during a winter storm is a sure sign of serious addiction....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Michael Hopcroft wrote:
tommcphee wrote:

Thanks, but could you translate that into English for me?

All I know for sure is that whenever I go to a mental health clinic there are always people going outside to smoke, regardless of how miserable the weather is. Going outside to smoke during a winter storm is a sure sign of serious addiction....

I agree. And whenever I drive past an office building in horrible weather I see many people outside smoking. I have never smoked, but it is surely addictive, just not according to the tobacco companies. In my state, tax revenues from cigarette taxes were down because fewer people are smoking and this is a big concern for our legislature. They need people to smoke to enhance the revenue stream.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.