Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin 'Rocky' Robertson
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
Now a Sarf London boy!
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't do the fancy stuff like design and make files for these, but here's some ideas that my small group have come up with (we have listed these and just use a normal deck of cards to draw the events). None of these events get shuffled into the deck until there are at least 3 NPC ships in play.

1 - Westerly Gale

A Westerly gale is blowing in from the Atlantic.

All NPC ships move one space West regardless of hunt priorities, if they can't move West they stay where they are on the board.

All Captains must use two movement points to head East, but will travel West two spaces if moving that way, North and South movement remain the same.

Movement explained

2 - Famine

France has hit a famine, any Captain may sell food at any port for 1 extra gold each, 4 for non-demand & 7 for demand.

Also all bounties are suspended for France until the famine is over, if a Captain with a French bounty provides food to a French port during the famine they can lose 1 bounty for each food over 2 they sell.

English = South, Pirate Sloop = West, Dutch = North

3 - Becalmed

"There's just no wind Captain!"

All Captains my roll against their Seamanship, less than two successes means they can not move this turn, they can still scout and raid.

Pirate Frigate = South, Pirate Sloop = East

4 - Share the Wealth

"Aye Capt'n, but we should be getting rich too........."

All Captains must pay each crew member 1 gold or lose them, they may if they have no gold swap 1 good to pay 2 crew members.

Dutch = East, English = North, French = West

5 - Merchants Alerted

All Captains doing a Merchant raid must gain 2 successes on scouting, or the Merchant escapes.

All NPC head towards closest bounty

6 - Rotten Weather

All Captains with Textiles or Wood must discard 1 cargo of these due to the rotten weather.

Spanish = East, English = North, Dutch = South, Pirate Frigate = West

7 - Holiday

The English have a Holiday, you may not buy or sell at any English Port this turn as the traders are on holiday. No other Port Action is affected.

French = East, Spanish = North, Pirate Sloop = West

8 - Gold! Gold! GOLD!

All Prirate ships move two spaces towards their nearest goal, if there are none they don't move.

English = East, Dutch = North, French and Dutch head towards each other, unless bounties apply

9 - Trouble on Board

"But Capt'n, he stole my rum, and then tried to steal my bed!"

All Captains must on their turn make an influence check, pass and everything is settled, fail and the Captains either loses 1 gold, 1 crew, or 1 cargo!

Pirate Sloop = 1 East, Dutch = 1 West, French = 1 North

We have some more in the pipeline, but these are the ones we run with, so may I ask you to please give me some feed-back on them, thank you arrrh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Silver
United States
Lino Lakes
Minnesota
flag msg tools
C'mon You Loons!
badge
United FC! -----------The Team for Me! ---- Minnesota! ----------- L-O-V-E! -------------
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
3 - Becalmed

"There's just no wind Captain!"

All Captains my roll against their Seamanship, less than two successes means they can not move this turn, they can still scout and raid.

Pirate Frigate = South, Pirate Sloop = East

Seems it would be very unkind to merchants. Pirates tend to have higher seamanship as it is and could still merchant raid.

Quote:
9 - Trouble on Board

"But Capt'n, he stole my rum, and then tried to steal my bed!"

All Captains must on their turn make an influence check, pass and everything is settled, fail and the Captains either loses 1 gold, 1 crew, or 1 cargo!

Pirate Sloop = 1 East, Dutch = 1 West, French = 1 North

Make this one 3 gold, 1 crew, or 1 cargo.

Overall, some very good ideas there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin 'Rocky' Robertson
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
Now a Sarf London boy!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for your reply Tim, the Becalmed was meant to be anti-merchant, they have less people gunning for them have all ports open to them and generally seem to have a easier time of it, this is just one card that sets them back and lasts for just one turn, but we might even it up with an anti-pirate event soon.

I like your idea with the Trouble on Board, I think we could use that one thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew MacLeod
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
And when, exactly, are we playing Churchill again?
mbmbmbmbmb
Quite spiffy, IMO.....with the exception of the "Holiday" event. Historically, English and Scottish crews (and, later, American ones) complained about the fact that they generally worked at least six days a week, while French and Spanish crews (especially Spanish!) frequently had holidays! So it's a great event; but it's applied to the wrong country.
Yes, I think it's safe to assume that the customs among crews would also apply to merchants.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin 'Rocky' Robertson
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
Now a Sarf London boy!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you Andrew, that's why we brought it in, when the English go on holiday they go 100% we desided as a group that they were the targets of that one, but I can understand where you're coming from and yeah it would make more sense to make it 'French' or 'Spainish', you're free you mess about with any of them

We thought about adding a 'British' rule event where if you wish to do port actions you could only do 2, because of the 'paperwork' but we haven't worded it correctly, if we get that one nailled then the holiday could pass on to someone else

Thanks again, and enjoy the festive season, and M&M of course arrrh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
catan fuller
msg tools
What are some of the cards "in the pipeline" that you could share?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin 'Rocky' Robertson
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
Now a Sarf London boy!
mbmbmbmbmb
We've mainly been playing with the above (with the 3 gold rule now!)

But still are trying to sort out

Labour Shortage

Any repairs cost you 2 additional gold in total (We're not happy with this and of thinking of making it apply to your type of ship, 1 for sloop, 2 for Flute & so on)

Price of Fame

The pirate with the most overall bounties (or highest 1 (we've not decided)) has been spotted and the player with the lowest glory points can move a NPC ship to a neighbouring sea zone of their choice. We can't really get this one to work unless you're trying to bloke the pirate from going somewhere

Desertion

All captains in port roll against leadership no successes mean they lose 1 crew & can not recruit at this port on their turn (again not totally happy with this yet, as port hoppers just hop to the next port & recruit)

Now you've made them Mad

Draw a flag from the bag & that NPC will move twice towards his main hunt target (Still arguing about this as it could mean they travel past another target & we would also like maybe a pirate flag in there)

Sadly most of the others didn't work or were already covered in the normal cards

Any help advice would be gratefully received

arrrh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
cristi petre
Romania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will design your event cards and share them after. Just tell tell me if you've done some changes to any events or if you have more. Will start making now the first events you posted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
cristi petre
Romania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here they are. Enhanced.
Just need to make the back of the cards so we can print them but have a small problem here because i have them in plastic and the scan does not work well. So if someone can scan the back of the event cards i would be grateful. In fact i need the back of every type,missions,events,captain...and so on,i still have some cards to do,so please help me with these.

Better use them with these from this forum.
http://boardgamegeek.com/article/14675488#14675488
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
cristi petre
Romania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
8 - Gold! Gold! GOLD!

All Pirate ships move two spaces towards their nearest goal, if there are none they don't move.

English = East, Dutch = North, French and Dutch head towards each other, unless bounties apply

I do not fully understand this one; can you be more explicit? All pirate ships move two spaces, does this include also NPC pirates? And why did you put French and Dutch head towards each other,is there a reason for this?

Other than this i think your ideas were great. If you have more functional events post them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin 'Rocky' Robertson
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
Now a Sarf London boy!
mbmbmbmbmb
alinbirzu wrote:
Quote:
8 - Gold! Gold! GOLD!

All Pirate ships move two spaces towards their nearest goal, if there are none they don't move.

I do not fully understand this one; can you be more explicit? All pirate ships move two spaces, does this include also NPC pirates? And why did you put French and Dutch head towards each other,is there a reason for this?

Other than this i think your ideas were great. If you have more functional events post them.

Yeah reading it now it doesn't make full sense blush

All NPC Pirates head two spaces to the Player with most gold on board their ship, as long as they aren't pirates.

There is no real reason why the French and Dutch head towards each other, other than it causes a random movement of both ships (of course this doesn't apply if only 1 of them is on the board!)

Really like your cards btw laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
cristi petre
Romania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have also done events on another forum,posted the link up, so "gold gold gold" will not be needed anymore, because there is a event there ,
"Rampant Piracy" that basically does the same thing. Look there.
I'm steel needing some events ideas though,the starting game had 16 events cards with 2 movement for each country or pirate in a direction, (example Spain-W). Now with your ideas and the ones on the other forum there will be 5 movement for each country or pirate.
But i still need 6 events. to fill the gap.
One idea i have is "mutiny on board";
After the events will be done i am thinking we need to separate the NPC captains event cards from the other event cards and create two separate decks.

From the normal event cards we can draw at the beginning of a turn.
And from the captain event cards we draw at the end of the turn.

Why so? Because we need NPC activity and the chances that an NPC appears is drastically lowered if we mix them in a single deck.
This being said it still remains the fact that without this new events we designed the chances of an NPC captain to appear was before almost 53%, so it remains to be seen how we can apply this to to the captain NPC deck. Because NPC appearing on every turn is also not a good thing.
But do not think this will be a problem,just need to add to the NPC event deck cards that say "NPC does not appear this turn" or just some pirate quotes,or whatever. And the number of these cards must be calculated so after that the percentage of an NPC appearing would again be around 53%.
What you say,does this sound good?
And i am glad you liked how i designed them,though i am not an expert at it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
cristi petre
Romania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved to this thread.

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1144540/42-new-event-cards-a...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.