Michael Hopcroft
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With what people have been getting me over Christmas, I am looking for a table. I have room for a table at most five or six feet across if I can fold it to store when not using it. but figuring out what to get has been a challenge. To make matters worse I can't get it until the new year and I don't know whether the prices will go up.

I found a table at Walmart's website that might work for my purposes. My lack of a car makes taking things home a challenge.

I'm also trying to figure out which of the games I have would fit on such a table. My chances of getting Totaler Krieg, for example, to work on any table I might reasonably fit into this apartment are somewhat limited. Any table bigger than what I currently have (a patio table that measures 24"-by-24") would be suitable for running RPGs. I wonder, though, if the map for The Napoleonic Wars would fit. And this should hopefully extend the types of Panzer Grenadier scenarios I can play.

I can't really measured my living room, and there are other things in it that are pretty much stuck where they are so....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001DMWZZC/ref=asc_df_B001DMWZZC174...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hopcroft
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks!

Mind you, that is about two-thirds of my monthly income....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I like the oval table better, but if you want something more traditional:

http://www.wayfair.com/Hillsdale-Hemsted-Dining-Table-with-R...

(Not sure about shipping prices though.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

IKEA's worth looking at also if you don't mind putting it together yourself:

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/categories/departments/din...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hopcroft
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think I need anything nearly that fancy. Something like a card table, only a little bit bigger, will do the job I have in mind. And as I just mentioned, I do not have the income required to make a purchase of the type you are suggesting rational.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want something cheap, perhaps with a mind to replace it later when you have more space, you can try what I did.

First, I bought a "utility" type table with folding legs. You can get these at Walmart, Home Depot, Lowes, etc... It's basically like a card table, but more long/rectangular and sturdier. Shouldn't cost too much.

Then, you buy a top. Figure out what dimensions you want and then to go Home Depot/Lowes. They sell 4x8 foot slabs of melamine, MDF, etc... for pretty low and will cut them to your desired size. Take this home and put it on top your table. It if seems too big/unwieldy, have them cut it in two pieces. Now it's easy to transport and store.

It's not pretty, but it's cheap and works well. Melamine looks nicer than MDF and makes it more passable as "furniture".

If you don't need it to be large, just the utility table alone may do it.

Also note, you can often find deals on utility tables with scratched tops at Home Depot/Lowes/Office Max/etc... which drops the price. Once the top is in place, you can't even tell either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

If you're looking to spend less than $200, your best bet is to browse local thrift shops and score someone's old table for yourself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adverb
United States
Yankeedom
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ikea has a low-end gateleg table that I've been considering for my erstwhile future basement gaming space:

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20104718/

Bigger than a card table, you have to put it together yourself, and folds for storage. My sole concern is that the table might not be that stable, from what I've seen of it in person. Might be worth a look-see for you.

edit: 200 bucks isn't really low-end. Still, possibly not a bad choice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dboeren wrote:
It's not pretty, but it's cheap and works well. Melamine looks nicer than MDF and makes it more passable as "furniture".

Invest in a nice table cloth and it may not even be noticeable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Damron
United States
Danville
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a cheap folding picnic table with a laminated wood top that I found. Any thick piece of wood will do, just get one from home depot. Use a tablecloth.

Recently I bought a table slightly smaller than the setup above but it's a nicer looking table. It came with chairs, and it has folding leafs that cut the size down to about 1/3 of it's original size. I got it in my car by doing some disassembly. It was about 60 bucks with chairs from a local goodwill, go check them out if you have one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lordrahvin wrote:
dboeren wrote:

Invest in a nice table cloth and it may not even be noticeable.

That's true. I use mine mainly for minis wargame and we typically put down a cloth of some color to form the base of our "terrain" so the wood isn't really visible. Black=space, blue=naval, green=land.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias
Hong Kong
State of Mind
flag msg tools
badge
I don't even drink!
mbmbmbmbmb
I was going to build my own, but I helped a friend pack for a move to Colorado and he offered me his kitchen table which was perfect for my needs.

It was mentioned already, but thrift stores and craig's list are great choices. You just have to do some searching. I would check Goodwill, especially in the upper income level neighborhoods...and make friends with someone that has a truck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Sant
United States
Easton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.target.com/p/Collapsible-Portable-6-Banquet-Table...

I just picked a couple of these on sale at my local store for $30 each. They fold in half for storage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Random Chance
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
I bought my folding table for less than $50 from Costco. Now I see them everywhere.

It is 6' long and 32" deep. It folds in half and has a handle to carry, if you're strong enough. It is the exact dimensions for A&A World. I have a 3' x 3' Cosco table beside it giving me 9' of gaming space pushed against a wall in a bedroom with a King sized bed. Cramped! But loving it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hopcroft
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anyone have an opinion on this table?

I know it would be cheap and nasty, but I'm on a cheap-and-nasty budget.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
These kind of "picnic tables" may be very wobbly and probably don't support much weight. So long as you only use it for eating or playing games it could be fine.

But it will move around in a very obvious way if people lean on it or shake it with their hand.

If its what your budget demands though and it works for what you need, go with it. Even if you decide it isn't appropriate and you need a REAL table later, what have you really lost?

Of course, now you have to ask yourself... would you rather have a table or a board game? devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe
United States
Maple Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lordrahvin wrote:

not sure the slat design of this one would be condusive to gamimg....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hopcroft
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lordrahvin wrote:
Of course, now you have to ask yourself... would you rather have a table or a board game? devil

Given my purchasing history this week I have to wonder, or at the very least my impulse control could be better.

I will have money on the first to buy a new table if I get one this cheap. On the other hand I have a mandatory game purchase of $40 (updating a computer sports simulation in which I am in at least two ongoing leagues) -- I can do both but it would be awkward at best.

I really need a paying ob at the rate I'm keeping this up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Russell
United States
La Mesa
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought four 4'x2' fold-in-half tables from Walmart. Cost about $35 each. I can set up a game like Axis & Allies Global using all four or just use one or whatever for smaller games. When done fold them up and put them in a closet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Fricke
United States
Covington
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I built a 4x6 table with a 1/2 inch piece of Birch. Added a frame, Routed the edges, finished it and added metal folding legs from an old folding table. Cost about $60. Use it for gaming mostly, but works good for large family gatherings too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
IKEA Norden for approx. 200 Euros. Also extendable.
In action (not extended):

IKEA catalog: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/30116872/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R S
United States
Salem
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
[q="dsant"]http://www.target.com/p/Collapsible-Portable-6-Banquet-Table...

I just picked a couple of these on sale at my local store for $30 each. They fold in half for storage.

I picked up the same table for around $30. It really does a good job holding large games. Check out my pictures for Conquest of Planet Earth: The Space Alien Game to see how much it holds. Super sturdy as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Ford
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was at Office Depot and Office Max today looking for a particular table. Office Depot no longer has it, but Office Max does. I want it for grading papers in the short run (my wife prefers that I stop using the dining the room table) and games in the long run.

The tables come in different sizes, but they are all like the one in the upper left of this page:

http://www.correllinc.com/melamine.html

They are very sturdy, do not require assembly, fold up, and are relatively cheap. The Office Max near me did not have the 4' by 24" table, which is what I wanted, but it did have a 5' by 30" one and two even larger sizes. I could not fit the 5 foot one in my car, so I am going back tomorrow with my truck. I think the price is $49.99 this week, down maybe $10 from the regular price. If I'm wrong about the $49.99, I'll update this tomorrow, after I buy two of them.

Update: $59.99 is the regular price; $49.99 is this week's price.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hopcroft
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been offered a 6'-by-2.5' table by an old friend. It has folding legs but doesn't fold across the middle. This means that he can't come by in his car and bring it over.

I wonder if any of the geeks in Portland have a pickup truck and some weekend time free to help me haul this puppy? I was thinking about renting a U-Haul, which would have cost about as much as buying a table at retail, but since I'm not the driver I don't think they'd rent itto me anyway.

I'm putting out several feelers for a driver and truck so let's see what happens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.