Dominion» Forums » General

Subject: Why no Epic Dominion? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
★★★★☆
Canada
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
You don't study scaring, you just do it.
badge
I'm not even breaking a sweat.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to say, after hearing about Thunderstone's Epic Variant I was really surprised to not see an EPIC DOMINION variant here. It seem like the idea may have been suggested but no one ever really commented on it.

I think it might be fun to try - just to mix things up shake

How do you folks think endgame should be triggered though? Still keep all province cards separated? perhaps all the green cards?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bateson
United Kingdom
Ross-on-Wye
flag msg tools
badge
Oi! Hands off...
mbmbmbmbmb
The idea has certainly been mooted. I don't think it would work as well as you hope because nearly all Dominion players are pretty confident in putting together a good quick-finish deck, a lot of cards wouldn't even be looked at, it would just come down to the turn of the card and be all over in about 12-13 turns. Chapel/Market/Warehouse/Big Money(/Tunnel?) is really all you need to do it well.

Epic Thunderstone is really only Thunderstone's way of making it as interesting as Dominion. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Is this like the Arkham Horror endgame?

When we run out of province cards, the great Old One Rises and each turn we have to discard victory point cards to beat him back to the starry abyss while he forces us to discard cards from our deck?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ousgg wrote:
Epic Thunderstone is really only Thunderstone's way of making it as interesting as Dominion. whistle

Meanie! cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Harrison
United States
Fisher
Illinois
flag msg tools
So long ...
badge
... and thanks for all the fish.
mb
'Cos there are few who have a table large enough.

Pre-Hinterlands pic:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pater Absurdus
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
There's really no wrong way to use a margarita pool
badge
"What is best in Life? To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
mbmbmbmbmb
ousgg wrote:
The idea has certainly been mooted. I don't think it would work as well as you hope because nearly all Dominion players are pretty confident in putting together a good quick-finish deck, a lot of cards wouldn't even be looked at, it would just come down to the turn of the card and be all over in about 12-13 turns. Chapel/Market/Warehouse/Big Money(/Tunnel?) is really all you need to do it well.

Ousgg is right. Without some major shifts to the way things work this would always look the same. Perhaps if you only had 2 of each card available OR you eliminated the 10-20 most powerful cards according to isotropic stats OR if you played it but once a card was purchased it would be placed outside the game and you played game after game as the deck slowly diminished.

The problem with those idea's is that... wait for it... they don't sound like as much fun as playing 5-10 games with random kingdoms. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Compulsive Completist
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Epic Dominion = 1 Kingdom card (Black Market)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
★★★★☆
Canada
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
You don't study scaring, you just do it.
badge
I'm not even breaking a sweat.
mbmbmbmbmb
HuginnGreiling wrote:

Pre-Hinterlands pic: large pic

This is a great pic, but EPIC doesnt mean that many piles, it means you shuffle ALL your attacks and cut into a few piles and ALL your others and cut into piles as well. you can only but the top cards on the decks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Harrison
United States
Fisher
Illinois
flag msg tools
So long ...
badge
... and thanks for all the fish.
mb
Heisenberg wrote:
HuginnGreiling wrote:

Pre-Hinterlands pic: large pic

This is a great pic, but EPIC doesnt mean that many piles, it means you shuffle ALL your attacks and cut into a few piles and ALL your others and cut into piles as well. you can only but the top cards on the decks.

I know ... it was just an excuse to post the pic. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jens www.spielefreun.de
Germany
Heinersreuth
flag msg tools
designer
Nobody reads this, anyway!
badge
Doea anybody read this, anyway?
mbmbmbmbmb
Because Dominion is good as it is, while Thunderstone drags without end if you play by the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul W
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Because taking the strategy out of a game that is primarily strategic just doesn't feel like a recipe for fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.