Popular Tags: [View All]
Airborne XO
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Poll
What should I call my Victory Points in my new Boardgame?
Victory Points (why change?)
Renown
Esteem
Prestige
Souls (here controversy lies, I do not wish to offend!)
Something else (please post a suggestion underneath)
      11 answers
Poll created by Airbornexo

I am struggling a bit with my boardgame naming convention, Victory Points doesn't seem very...'thematic'...

HELP BGG!

Cheers, Hal
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
Suddenly a shot rang out! A door slammed. The maid screamed. Suddenly a pirate ship appeared on the horizon! While millions of people were starving, the king lived in luxury. Meanwhile, on a small farm in Kansas, a boy was growing up.
mbmbmbmbmb
"WE GOT SPIRIT, YES WE DO! WE GOT SPIRIT, HOW 'BOUT YOU?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Hufnagel
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Airbornexo wrote:
Poll
What should I call my Victory Points in my new Boardgame?
Victory Points (why change?)
Renown
Esteem
Prestige
Souls (here controversy lies, I do not wish to offend!)
Something else (please post a suggestion underneath)
      11 answers
Poll created by Airbornexo

I am struggling a bit with my boardgame naming convention, Victory Points doesn't seem very...'thematic'...

HELP BGG!

Cheers, Hal

Playing off of 'Souls':

- Anima
- Essence
- Lifeforce
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derrick Siegmund
Netherlands
Heemskerk
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Essence
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filip W.
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Euros are better with dice!
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're going new age, nice type supernatural then "essence". If you're aiming for fantasy (especially high fantasy) then "mana". If you're going for down and dirty, Arkham style supernatural then "souls".

As for offending people: no matter what you call it you'll offend someone (even if you go with VP:s there'll be someone to criticize that and call you a disgrace to modern game design). That's just a fact of life. The big question is: will you offend your target audience? The person buying "Scrabble: Bible edition" is quite different from someone buying "Hellgame"; if you're designing "Hellgame" then make sure you don't offend people who'd buy "Hellgame" and vice versa.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CJ
United Kingdom
Colchester
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Presuming you are basing this on the TV series then you should call them 'gank' points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
damian isherwood
Canada
Courtice
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I would personally play off the shows theme's. On one hand you have Dean who is on the side of the angels for all intents and purposes (being the vessel and all, not Raphael's side obviously) and on the other hand you have had Sam who has battled with his demon blood side and being the vessel for Lucifer. So I would go with something more akin to being angelic and or demonic.

Purity / corruption
rightous / damned

You could try something along the lines of Fame or Reputation. This could lead to harder encounters the more famous they are but may allow them to access places and items they couldn't get to at lower ratings. It might be easier for them to investigate an area if they are less famous and harder if they have a higher fame(people begin to recognize them or something)

Just a thought.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre Rebstock
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Souls feel like it's the best fit. Can't quite see where the controversy/offense would be, it's not like it's a religion exclusive term.
And considering the show itself, they sure don't portray angels in the best light. Let offense-prone people get offended, don't dilute the essence of what make this theme awesome.

Could always "adjectify" the souls? like "saved souls", "devoured souls", "claimed souls", etc...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CJ
United Kingdom
Colchester
flag msg tools
badge
mb
It's worth noting that neither Sam nor Dean have ever fought over souls. That was the exclusive preserve of the Angel/Demon dichotomy. So, I suppose the central player characters will determine what you should call them. If you are thinking of branching out beyond just the brothers then perhaps you could go hardcore thematic and name them specifically according to the character...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.