Subject: Amount of luck rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Winkleblech
United States
Brownsville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
There aren't many reviews of this game yet, but I was wondering if anybody who has played this can comment on the amount of luck that is in this game. What kinds of luck exist, and does luck trump strategy?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since you are drawing from a random deck of cards, yes luck is a heavy element. But the control hand allows you to make your own luck and balance it out.

I would say strategy does win out over luck in the end due to that reason.

I have only played twice, but in both games, whenever the luck of the draw fails you when attacking or attempting an ability, you just use a card from your hand to make it a success.
Based on the hand you draw, it can dictate your odds of success with certain suits. So if I have many cards of a certain suit, I will focus on activating those puppets this round. Rarely will I ever make a move without knowing my control hand is there to back me up.

All who have played with me have agreed the strategy element of the game is very high.

It is all about positioning and using the right unit for the job.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Wolf
United States
Glassboro
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is always a luck factor in any randomly genereated event. Is the luck factor huge.. no I don't think so. I personally love this game.

My one primary opponent feels that dice hate him so he rather enjoys the card pulls over rolling dice and most events are modifiable with cards from your hand so planning ahead can also reduce the luck factor.

The rules allow for the black joker to fail any action and the red joker to succeed any action so those 2 cards are probably the greatest luck factor in the whole game. Having that red joker in hand for a much needed success on an attack or defense or other action ahead of time is bliss. Pulling the black joker on that last attack to wn the game is agony.

Can a bad run of cards put a damper on your strategy?.. yes. But part of the fun is trying to overcome whatever adverstiy you may have been dealt and even with cards that dont quite do what you need they can always do something. We have had numerous games where I felt I had no chance to lose and lost and vice versa.

Hand management is the key to the game and knowing the interactions of your puppets is required. You can lay out the perfect assault and still be screwed by a bad card pull but you can also pull that card you needed to win just as easily. So I say a sound strategy is still required and luck is there but does not win out over strategy.

The crew assembly when picking your puppets is also a fun and interesting core part of this game.

You can play with just the Starter set though I also bought the Multiplayer expansion at the same time for more diversity and I have the Pawn packs coming for christmas..

The game doesnt play as quickly as the 30 minute mark as the box implies.. we usually run 45-60 minutes. sometimes longer but that could be partially our style or lack thereof whistle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.