9 Posts

A Game of Thrones: The Board Game (Second Edition)» Forums » Variants

Subject: Siege tower too powerful? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: excellent [+] [View All]
Søren Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
We had 2 games, with easy wins with B (discussed elsewehere) and we made a house rule:

Siege towers cannot be used to attack neutral cities. The reason for this is mainly this scenario: anyone mustering a siege tower (with consolidate) can with 1 point of mustering spend, take alot of the city/strongholds in the south which in our 4 player game has a strength of 3, using only the -1 move order and no support.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Piotr Kaplon
Poland
Krakow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you use Tides of Battle you can no longer be certain that single siege tower will conquer a province... yet another reason to use them.

Once victory isn't certain, sending tower gets risky - they can't withdraw and are gone after every lost attack.

If you don't want ToB, well, northern players have to play more aggressively...

I was also thinking of getting 1st ed. board for 4 player games, the one without southern provinces...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim O'Neill (Established 1949)
Scotland
Motherwell
Graduate of Barlinnie
flag msg tools
VENI, VIDI, VISA - my reaction on entering my FLGS.
badge
Like a good red wine, I improve with age... and being laid.
mbmbmbmbmb
Søren,

Bear in mind that the Siege Tower, whilst powerful, is also very fragile.

Regards,

Jim
Est. 1949

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nacho Facello
Uruguay
Montevideo
Montevideo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
oneilljgf wrote:
Søren,

Bear in mind that the Siege Tower, whilst powerful, is also very fragile.

Regards,

Jim
Est. 1949

I think that Søren's point is not that they are overpowered always, but that they are overpowered when dealing with neutrals, since in that case there's not a big risk of counterattack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scotland
Motherwell
Graduate of Barlinnie
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, Nacho, I totally agree with you but, once the fortress is taken, they are very vulnerable to counter attack.

Regards,

Jim
Est. 1949

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Counterattack from whom, though? The neutral forces aren't going to take back their castles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nacho Facello
Uruguay
Montevideo
Montevideo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dexter345 wrote:
Counterattack from whom, though? The neutral forces aren't going to take back their castles.

I think this is the point.

The more I think about it, the more I find that 4 players is really not balanced to the point of being unplayable. My solution right now is just not play with four players. I haven't tried it with five, but I fear it will be the same. It's a shame, because it's really an awesome six players game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fergus Hadley
United Kingdom
leeds
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This came up in our 4 player game, and I agree it was just too easy for Baratheon to sweep into Dorne and cherrypick castles.

I like the idea that you need at least one other unit with them. That should stop the issue without adding complex house rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scotland
Motherwell
Graduate of Barlinnie
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dexter345 wrote:

Perhaps counterattack is the wrong word to use in the context of neutrals but, I meant being attacked by anyone when they have a defense of zero. I use them regularly and from my experience only, I find them a risky piece to field as they are often quite vulnerable. However; I do see your point when talking of neutrals.

Jim
Est. 1949

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.