• [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
"Quote" opens a whole new page, "Quickquote" uses Ajax to load the quote box inline on the same page.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andres F. Pabon L.
Colombia
Bogotá
DC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jmilum wrote:
"Quote" opens a whole new page, "Quickquote" uses Ajax to load the quote box inline on the same page.

What he said. I really don't know why "Quote" and "Reply" even exist. I never use them...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Dearborn Heights
Michigan
flag msg tools
Fizzgig need food badly!
badge
Click on Fizzgig to feed him a tasty snack. Nom, Nom, Nom!
mbmbmbmbmb
I use all three. If anyone really cares I can explain why I do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boards & Bits
United States
Spokane Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ejtracer wrote:

Please do...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You can't handle the truth?
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BoardsAndBits wrote:
ejtracer wrote:

Please do...

I use them too.

Whenever I am reading a long thread, and am on page 3 of 17, I use the middle mouse button on Quote to open the quote box, in a new window. Then I can keep reading the thread.

In this way, I can make sure that point I was going to add is actually relevant to the discussion, and has not yet been made. It would be the ego of a very deluded individual that thinks the comment they have to make on page 3 of a 17 page thread has not already been made. Better to check first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morris
Scotland
Harrogate
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
Join the BGG Folding @Home Team !!
badge
This user had more :gg: than sense
mbmbmbmbmb
The 'quick' ones don't have the buttons for a poll ...

Obvious, init.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
I use the full quote to open a new reply page while I continue reading the thread. I do this in order to make sure that the point I'm about to make hasn't already been made.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Saddleback, covered by a blanket of winter snow
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
jmilum wrote:
crambaza wrote:
Whenever I am reading a long thread, and am on page 3 of 17, I use the middle mouse button on Quote to open the quote box, in a new window. Then I can keep reading the thread.

In this way, I can make sure that point I was going to add is actually relevant to the discussion, and has not yet been made. It would be the ego of a very deluded individual that thinks the comment they have to make on page 3 of a 17 page thread has not already been made. Better to check first.
AnnuverScotinExile wrote:
The 'quick' ones don't have the buttons for a poll.

As others have said, quote (and reply) can be opened in a new tab (or will open over the original thread, and quote (and reply) have a few more features. The latter difference might vanish in the user interface redesign--I don't know.

Opening a quote in a second tab can be a little safer than editing in the original thread if you want to do something complex like replying to more than one message. However, either way, you can use quickquote to easily open and quote multiple messages, though you need to quickquote a message, copy the text you want, then cancel the reply: having multiple quickquotes open confuses the system about which one you're actually editing.

I quickquoted to gather the quotes at the top, after initially quickreplying. However, I have Lazarus installed for Firefox so if I mis-key, nothing is lost. I also usually preview my messages to check for errant formatting or grammar (this rarely completely works, sadly). If this had been a multi-page thread, I would usually open each page in a tab so I can access the entire message by switching tabs.

In short, the two versions allow more methods of editing and replying than either alone would.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Dearborn Heights
Michigan
flag msg tools
Fizzgig need food badly!
badge
Click on Fizzgig to feed him a tasty snack. Nom, Nom, Nom!
mbmbmbmbmb
BoardsAndBits wrote:
ejtracer wrote:

Please do...

It looks like their usefulness has already been pretty much explained by others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.