Subject: How many monsters? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Brzozowski
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just played my first game of Elder Sign and LOVE it.

I'm working on a playmat (a large top down view of a desk with maps, papers, phone, etc.) to house the room cards and monster chits/tiles.

I'm wondering how many monsters could be placed under a room during the course of a game? Three? Two? I know most rooms contain the white border to house the monster chit, but there is the occasional time where there aren't any available. Curious as to people who've played it a bunch and can give me a ballpark figure.

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Lacson
United States
Alamogordo
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not really mathing it out, but it may be a possibility to place all of them on one adventure card.

If all pre-determined monster spaces are filled, you choose which adventure card to place them on. It's been an early adopted strategy to place all monsters on one adventure card and ignore that card for the entire game.

I play by a house rule that limits 1 extra monster per adventure card. Every additional monster adds a doom token. However, I think 2-3 monster slots per card slot is sufficient.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Morgan
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
arcane220 wrote:
It's been an early adopted strategy to place all monsters on one adventure card and ignore that card for the entire game.

My group calls that card "Monster Town" and it's served us well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Brzozowski
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That helps- thanks. Right now I have three slots per room.

One other question. How many 'other world' cards do you encounter in a game? I'm thinking of making a third playmat to house those cards as well- but it can only hold three rooms due to size limitations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jbwc wrote:
How many 'other world' cards do you encounter in a game? I'm thinking of making a third playmat to house those cards as well- but it can only hold three rooms due to size limitations.

I've had up to 5 at one point. That was with Hastur as our Ancient One (he adds a Doom token each time you complete an Other World location).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Warren
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Monsters should first fill all the empty monster spots on adventure cards, then they should be evenly distributed amoung the adventure cards, when every adventure card has a monster card you begin adding another monster to a card untill they all have two if it goes that far.

I just found it on FFG's FAQ: I copied and pasted it straight from FFG

Monsters
Placing Monsters
When placing a monster under the bottom task of an Adventure
card if there are no available monster tasks in play,
players must distribute monsters as evenly as possible. That
is, no Adventure card may have a second monster placed
below it until all Adventure cards have at least one monster
placed below them (and no Adventure card can get a third
monster until all have at least two, etc.).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.