Panic Station» Forums » General

Subject: Your experience with failed infections rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Klaus Musstermann
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello BGG. I found out about this game a month or so ago and got very excited: a mixture of The Thing and Aliens! Yeah! I read reviews and was just about to buy it for myself when I came up with something befuddling about victory conditions in discussions with a friend.

This isn't about that argument "everyone should just agree to infection so everyone wins." I read that over, I consider it silly. I'm in the camp that everyone should play so they win according to their current victory conditions - humans should fight infection but should be good little nefarious monsters if it happens.

But! I need testimony from people who have played this. When the Thing makes its first infection attempt, and it fails, what happens? Does the human player not immediately declare "he's a monster"? The Thing's obvious response is "no, he's the monster."

So. At this point, why does the human team not immediately execute both of them, so that any game where the first infection fails immediately becomes a degenerate firefight? The player who's actually a human will shoot the Thing. The Thing will shoot the accuser because if it shoots anyone else it's revealed as the monster. And with the accuser and Thing shooting each other Team Human ices them both easily and goes about its business.

I thought hey maybe Team Human can't afford to lose one of its own. Yet if that's the case, how can Team Human possibly win after a successful infection?

Please tell me why the game does not instantly degenerate into gunplay when an accusation comes out. I want to love this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Lacson
United States
Alamogordo
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Because there's not that many ammo cards in the deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Rupp
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ammo is pretty sparse, so you can't just kill 2 players very easily.

I have found that the games where the host fails his first infection are a lot more dull than the games where he infects at least 1 person though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul W
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Not only is it a matter of ammo, but actions. That's 16 actions to completely kill off two players, 8 if you have the right gun...plus whatever movement actions are needed. Killing off people isn't easy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Ausloos
Belgium
Ranst
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Furthermore, it is not because someone openly declares "he is an infector" that everyone should instantly believe him.
If you play with a group of players like mine that is making a metagame of misleading players, it would be very naïeve to trust a player without the slightest doubt. The best thing after all for an infectors to stay undercover is act like a human, and that could include accusing others falsy. I have done it several times myself and won several times because I managed to mislead and spread confusion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark sellmeyer
United States
st louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
if someone fails at infecting me, the last thing I want to do is accuse them. I probably just lost my only gas can so if he does soon infect me, I don't want the rest of the players to know that either of us are infected. I wan the best chance to infect another player. If someone is infected I usually try to get away from them and watch their trades with others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Tompkins
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
Never go in against a Sicilian when DEATH is on the line!
badge
You know what would be funny...
mbmbmbmbmb
artmark wrote:
if someone fails at infecting me, the last thing I want to do is accuse them. I probably just lost my only gas can so if he does soon infect me, I don't want the rest of the players to know that either of us are infected. I wan the best chance to infect another player. If someone is infected I usually try to get away from them and watch their trades with others.

On the other hand, I *loudly and immediately* claim someone tried to infect me - but I'm in the camp of "play 100% for the team you're on until you're converted". Of course, if someone is highly suspected and they SUCCESSFULLY converted me, I'll sometimes STILL claim they tried to infect me. "Oh my goodness - someone quick pass me some bullets so I can take out this bad guy in my room!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus Musstermann
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ausloosd wrote:
Furthermore, it is not because someone openly declares "he is an infector" that everyone should instantly believe him.
If you play with a group of players like mine that is making a metagame of misleading players, it would be very naïeve to trust a player without the slightest doubt. The best thing after all for an infectors to stay undercover is act like a human, and that could include accusing others falsy. I have done it several times myself and won several times because I managed to mislead and spread confusion.

Thank you for answering. But I don't see the solution. I'm saying that when Al declares Bob is a monster, we all know Al could be lying, but it's safer for Team Human to wax both of them. If I remember right there is only one spontaneous infection card in the deck, so if the humans kill the monster early in the game, they can safely go bug hunting for the rest of the game.

OK so I didn't realize ammo was rare. That does help because now I assume ammo is rare enough that you really don't want to waste it shooting a human. I also see you don't actually start the game with ammo for your guns; is that right? That would definitely keep firefights down, but it's a bit odd thematically, don't you think?

Well anyhow, thank you all for responding. I have thought about it more and decided that I was approaching it the wrong way. Of course once the monster reveals itself in some way the action scenes start. As the rulebook says the monster just needs to play it safe and build trust so the action doesn't start until the monster is ready. So I will pick this up when I have a chance and see how the group likes it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.