Adam Rivas
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love this game.

Whats Good:

1)Simple system

2)Aesthetically pleasing (seriously the art is amazing, and so are the pieces)

3)Fast paced

4)Not to serious but Thematically awesome (you don't have to be a 20 year D&D/Warhammer Quest Pro to enjoy this game)

5)It's fun, pure and simple.

Whats Bad:

1)Rules are not written in very clear manner. They leave room for way too much interpretation...or perhaps I should say it bluntly: They aren't the least bit clear on too many issues. Also the order of the Rule book is a bit strange. Iamfanboy posted a great forum that clears up many of the mysteries and lays things out in a sensible fashion (Dude you rock for that- it's how my friends and I learned to play using the rule book for 2nd reference)

2)Cards, Tiles, and Rule Book- I think anything that is made of paper and comes into contact with Soda Pop Mini's company must become cursed.
The Card's stock is a little more then a sheet of paper with fancy art (they scratch and peel really easily making sleeves a necessity).
The Tiles- while very beautiful are also of low quality stock which causes the edges to peel and the boards to scratch(I wish there were sleeves for these).

3)The Rule Book....its falling apart after only 2 weeks lol...seriously it is.

4)The whole package feels rushed- Cheap paper, cheap box, hurried arrangement of rules, various sightings on the forums about missing mini pieces, dice and cards (I myself was minus 1 Starfire tongue, however the good people at Soda Pop sent me one in the mail once I notified them, and they were really nice about it).
There are even misprinted cards and info in the rule book that Soda Pop acknowledged with a disclaimer card in the box identifying the problems.

I am truly curious to why there were so many production errors on such a large scale. I do hope that Soda takes it time and get the expansions right on the first try (honestly- I am really looking forward to more of this games world and play).

What's Important:

I know it sounds like I am ripping them a new one in some places but I am not. I truly love this game.

If you can see your way past the lack of clarity in the rules book, and the hideous card stock they choose then you have a 9/10 game.
A few visits to BGG forums will totally help the rules problem, and careful care of the paper products is essential but other then that the game is great.

I hope you all enjoy it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tom brown
United Kingdom
Stanley
Co. Durham
flag msg tools
CROM THE INVINCIBLE, SAVIOR OF THE GRUNGE MASTERS DAUGHTER
badge
HE JUST CANT BE KILLED, OR CAN HE???
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks for the review.

I know you go into detail quite a bit on the production quality, would you be able to do a bit more for the gameplay? for example how much fun it was for you, and others of your group who might have different tastes, and also how desperate you are to play this again, and how it compares to other games of a similar type. What is the one thing that sets SDE apart?

I imagine the high cost is due to the plastic molds, and im guessing it didnt leave a lot of budget for the card stuff. I think they will find it hard to shift massive numbers at the price it is so if they counted in extra good card stock like space hulk quality i dont think anyone would buy it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Rivas
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What I like the most is the simplicity of the game mechanics combined with a high quality thematic environment augmented by awesome art.

The mechanics of "highest rolled" wins is fairly simple and straight forward. I really appreciate that too. Some games become incredibly bogged down in too many intense mechanics. Like Runewars for example- I personally love it but it's so involved and layered in detailed mechanical interactions that I can't find many folks to play it with

The dice are unique and give extra flavor to the game. It's as if the. Characters are bashing each other (stars) and items are dropping (hearts and stars) a la Legend of Zelda!

The game has a lot of replay value as is. Due to simplicity of the system it allows for improvising too. I.e. Hero vs hero games, consul vs consul games, using extra hero pieces as mini bosses or final bosses (Villans!), and even custom design of Heroes and critters.
I have been playing every opportunity I have gotten since I finished gluing minis on December 13th- to date I've had 5 sessions and 8 games. Every gamer that's ever tried it has had FUN with it. I'm hoping to teach my Gf how to play tonight (the game was a gift from her-

The minis are stunning and in honesty this is my first experience building (and soon to be painting) minis. The amount of them seemed overwhelming at first but they were very easy to assemble.

If it seemed I bashed Soda Pop in my last post I apologize- I think they did an incredible job and quite frankly I want an expansion released 5 minutes ago
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Jackson
United Kingdom
Oxford
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
504Shadeaux wrote:
If it seemed I bashed Soda Pop in my last post I apologize- I think they did an incredible job and quite frankly I want an expansion released 5 minutes ago

I second this statement ... SODA POP ... we WANT expansions ... NOW NOW NOW!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark berchowitz
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm disappointed that there's no support for this game on SodaPop's site.

You'd think they'd have a downloadable errata page, or forums, but there's sweet FA. I mean really, the game has been out HOW long and clicking the "downloads" link in the top nav doesn't even navigate to a downloads page.

Unless this isn't the correct site:

https://store.sodapopminiatures.com/

ANYHOW, not meant to be a troll posting, I quite like the game too and could relate to the OPs pros and cons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jenny Nguyen
Australia
Bungarribee
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well this is Soda Pop's first foray into a game system for their miniatures, which could explain the lack of support.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Alexander
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Their whole site has been cut down; there used to be downloads and news etc, right now it is just the store. I believe that they will do a 3rd "re-launch" in early 2012 when relic knights comes out

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.