War of the Ring (First Edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: Question regarding fellowship and nazgul rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Don Donson
United States
flag msg tools
mb
Never actually played a game before (still being shipped), but I'm trying to make sure I understand the rules).

Say during the previous turn, the fellowship was revealed and the FP player placed the token in an empty region. If the shadow player places a nazgul there, does this mean that until the token is moved (either by the FP declaring in a city/stronghold or getting revealed again with some movement progress) the SP will always be able to reroll a single hunt die? If so, is there any reason the SP would not do this, as Nazgul in a region without an army can never be attacked/destroyed?

Secondly, when the fellowship is revealed, is the FP player forced to move as far as possible, or can they backtrack (say moving back and forth between two regions) as long as they end the token on a region not containing a friendly city/stronghold?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Hathorn
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
idlehero wrote:
Never actually played a game before (still being shipped), but I'm trying to make sure I understand the rules).

Say during the previous turn, the fellowship was revealed and the FP player placed the token in an empty region. If the shadow player places a nazgul there, does this mean that until the token is moved (either by the FP declaring in a city/stronghold or getting revealed again with some movement progress) the SP will always be able to reroll a single hunt die? If so, is there any reason the SP would not do this, as Nazgul in a region without an army can never be attacked/destroyed?

Secondly, when the fellowship is revealed, is the FP player forced to move as far as possible, or can they backtrack (say moving back and forth between two regions) as long as they end the token on a region not containing a friendly city/stronghold?

The shadow gets ONE hunt die reroll for EACH of the following that are in the same space as the Fellowship's figure (which represents the last known location of the Fellowship):
-one or more Nazgul
-one of more Shadow units, regular or elite
-a Shadow settlement, city or Stronghold (note that if the Fellowship reveals in a Shadow Stronghold the Shadow draws an extra hunt tile)

So, yes, if I'm the Shadow and the last known position of the Fellowship is in the open, I am going to drop a Nazgul there and a unit if possible.

The FP is not required to move the Fellowship at all when revealing or declaring their location. They can move anywhere within the range shown on the Fellowship Track including back to Rivendell or all the way to the Gray Havens if desired.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Hathorn
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
idlehero wrote:
by the FP declaring in a city/stronghold?

Note that the Fellowship can declare itself without ending in a city or stronghold. If the shadow has units and Nazgul on it, it may be a good choice to do so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralf Schemmann
Germany
Siegen
NRW
flag msg tools
www.der-ringkrieg.de
badge
www.der-ringkrieg.de
mbmbmbmbmb
idlehero wrote:

Say during the previous turn, the fellowship was revealed and the FP player placed the token in an empty region. If the shadow player places a nazgul there, does this mean that until the token is moved (either by the FP declaring in a city/stronghold or getting revealed again with some movement progress) the SP will always be able to reroll a single hunt die?

Yes. As long as a Nazgul figure is in the region with the Ringbearers figure, the Shadow gets a hunt reroll.

idlehero wrote:
If so, is there any reason the SP would not do this, as Nazgul in a region without an army can never be attacked/destroyed?

Well, the Shadow needs to use a Character die result to move the Nazgul. Those might be in short supply or needed to move armies. You'll notice in the game that you always have too many things to do with your available actions - that's part of the beauty of the game.

idlehero wrote:

No, the FP player can move the Fellowship less regions than indicated on the track, or even leave it stationary. That should be explicitly in the rules.

EDIT: John beat me to the punch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Rosen
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
The FP is not required to move the Fellowship at all when revealing or declaring their location. They can move anywhere within the range shown on the Fellowship Track including back to Rivendell or all the way to the Gray Havens if desired.

Quote:
No, the FP player can move the Fellowship less regions than indicated on the track, or even leave it stationary. That should be explicitly in the rules.

But if the Fellowship decides to move less than its allowed amount, the fellowship progress marker on the Fellowship Track goes back to zero regardless, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristofer Bengtsson
Sweden
Kävlinge
flag msg tools
designer
War of the Ring: Official FAQ Master! Webmaster of www.warofthering.eu Author of the War of the Ring Companion
badge
- This is My Hour!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thommy8 wrote:
But if the Fellowship decides to move less than its allowed amount, the fellowship progress marker on the Fellowship Track goes back to zero regardless, right?

Yes!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiffany Stolk

Michigan
msg tools
I thought that that the sp had an extra roll for hunt only if fellowship was revealed

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristofer Bengtsson
Sweden
Kävlinge
flag msg tools
designer
War of the Ring: Official FAQ Master! Webmaster of www.warofthering.eu Author of the War of the Ring Companion
badge
- This is My Hour!
mbmbmbmbmb
tiffanystolk wrote:
I thought that that the sp had an extra roll for hunt only if fellowship was revealed

The Shadow player would not roll again for the Hunt if the Fellowship is revealed.

I am not sure I understand your question, could you try to be more specific?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiffany Stolk

Michigan
msg tools
Sorry. I think I figured out what I was asking. Is it correct that if the Fellowship is in a stronghold area controlled by the SP or has SP troops or nazgul(if they are hidden or revealed) at the time the SP hunts, then the shadow player has a re-roll on the hunt?

Also an additional question. On my first attempt at play when the SP had a succesful hunt and drew a tile we would then put the tile back in for the next turn. If I understand correctly, tiles drawn for successful hunt should not be put back in the container until all of them have been drawn. Is that correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristofer Bengtsson
Sweden
Kävlinge
flag msg tools
designer
badge
- This is My Hour!
mbmbmbmbmb
tiffanystolk wrote:
Sorry. I think I figured out what I was asking. Is it correct that if the Fellowship is in a stronghold area controlled by the SP or has SP troops or nazgul(if they are hidden or revealed) at the time the SP hunts, then the shadow player has a re-roll on the hunt?

Yes.
The presence of Nazgûl grants one re-roll.
The presence of a Shadow Stronghold grants one re-roll.
The presence of a Shadow Army unit grants one re-roll.

tiffanystolk wrote:
Also an additional question. On my first attempt at play when the SP had a succesful hunt and drew a tile we would then put the tile back in for the next turn. If I understand correctly, tiles drawn for successful hunt should not be put back in the container until all of them have been drawn. Is that correct?

All tiles drawn are put aside.
When the Fellowship enters Mordor all drawn EYE-tiles are put back.
If the Hunt Pool becomes empty all standard (beige) tiles are put back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chapman
United States
Powhatan
Virginia
flag msg tools
Axis & Allies Developer and Playtester; War of the Ring Editor and Playtester
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Veldrin wrote:
The presence of a Shadow Stronghold grants one re-roll.

To be clear, the presence of a Stronghold controlled by the Shadow (no matter who originally controlled it) grants one re-roll.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.