John Enoch
United States
Vadnais Heights
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I know this is a hot button issue, almost on the magnitude of "to sleeve or not to sleeve", but I finally upgraded my gaming shelf to the giant Ikea Expedit that is so beloved here.

I generally assume that vertical (book style) is the best way to go. My question, being a sleever and all, is that the box lids no longer fit tight. What happens is I put the components away, stash it vertical, the upper edge of the box kind of opens up a bit, as if the components are kind of falling out on that upper edge.

With the shelf, I can usually fit four games (Dominion/Ticket to Ride size) in a cube, with an inch or so of free space on the side. What should I do?

If this makes any sense, any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated. I have to wean myself of purchases for a while, so after Christmas the shelf will ideally stay ordered for a while.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Carlough
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
High adventure in the world of high finance...
mbmbmbmbmb
Only games with exceptionally thin boxes will have a problem with being stacked on there side. That and games like Agricola that have tons of components and absolutely no insert. I find that most are fine and the few that aren't I just put a rubber band around or stick between one of the walls and a game that doesn't have any problems.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Lacson
United States
Alamogordo
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm weird about storage. Top priority, the games get oriented in whichever manner looks better. Second priority is maximizing space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Riddle
United States
Oxford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
i go with maximize space as needed assuming the risk of sorting out pieces next time I play

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Milanovich
United States
Glendale Heights
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been thinking about how some games NEED to be stacked horizontally. I found that my vertical placement of Wrath of Ashardalon caused a whole stack of cards to get warped. When the chits get punched, it causes a gap between the insert and box top. When vertical, things don't stay where they need to be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Carlough
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
High adventure in the world of high finance...
mbmbmbmbmb
Giant boxes like Twilight Imperium III definetly need to be stored horizontally.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Manning
Australia
Adelaide
South Australia
flag msg tools
designer
err... I like boardgames!?!
badge
D'oh! I bought overtext even though I have nothing interesting to say.
mbmbmbmbmb
rmilanov wrote:
When the chits get punched, it causes a gap between the insert and box top.

This is solved by taking the punched-out frames and placing them under the box insert.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Dearborn Heights
Michigan
flag msg tools
Fizzgig need food badly!
badge
Click on Fizzgig to feed him a tasty snack. Nom, Nom, Nom!
mbmbmbmbmb
Part of me just wants to start storing all my games at a 45 degree angle out of spite to both ends of the argument.

However, in truth, I'm a horizontal storer for all but 2-3 games of mine.

It keeps the parts from getting all mixed up in the box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ludopoly wrote:
This is solved by taking the punched-out frames and placing them under the box insert.

Sometimes. Cards still can get bent if they fall out of the insert. Inserts weren't meant for vertical storage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Bellevue
NE
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Vertical. Unless it doesn't fit that way. If the components, i.e., cards, would spill out in the box, I put them in Plano boxes, baggies and/or deckboxes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph T
United States
Signal Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vertical looks nicer to me. The risk of warping is usually low since games either have inserts or consist of single boards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CJ
United Kingdom
Colchester
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I'm willing to bet that 90% of BGGers store their games in the most efficient manner for the storage solution they possess at home. It is the exception, I suspect, for people to actively choose based on a personal preference. When it happens, doubtless it is linked to the purchase/creation of a purpose-designed storage system, which depends on preference.

To that end, you're probably doing just fine chucking them in their vertically...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TS S. Fulk
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnytheSkin wrote:
finally upgraded my gaming shelf to the giant Ikea Expedit that is so beloved here.

I don't like Expedit at all (but my wife does). I prefer the real wood with classic styling of Hemnes (http://www.ikea.com/se/sv/catalog/products/20176263/).

My son has an Expedit bookcase and has his games horizontal to maximize space and keep components from shifting (Munckin Quest and Doom being the biggest offenders). Bookshelf style boxes like Feudal and Munchkin, he stores vertically.

For me and my Hemnes, I go with what most others have mentioned. Vertical if it works, otherwise horizontal. I use baggies, Chesses/GMT chit boxes and little Plano-like (Plano is very hard to get here) boxes for most of my games. If the game has a good insert like D&D's co-ops and Claustrophobia's, then I keep things horizontal and in the original places.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Milanovich
United States
Glendale Heights
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ludopoly wrote:
rmilanov wrote:

That's GENIUS!!!! Gotta do that from now on!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rob cavallo
United States
roseland
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
both.

some games horizontal
some games vertical

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shayne Gray
United States
Akron
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We picked up the giant Ikea Expedit last week, my wife loves it. We don't have all our games in it yet, but the ones we do have are stored vertically.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Meredith Martini
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Vertical. Because when you pull the game down from the shelf, you don't have to worry about the games on top of it also coming off/falling/etc. Physically easier and safer for both the person and the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Enoch
United States
Vadnais Heights
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the responses, everyone. The way we have it is that most of the games are vertical, save for a few known exceptions:

1) TI3/Runewars/Carcassonne Big Box/War of the Ring are all horizontal
2) Small World/Underground/Cargo Noir are also horizontal due to component shifting.
3) Some of the smaller games and expansions (Bohnanza/Lost Cities/7 Wonder Leaders) are also horizontal as we can get more games/per cube that way.
4) Battles of Westeros + Expansion(s) are horizontal due to the minis

I guess we'll find out if the boards get warped over time due to them being vertical. Every game in my collection is sleeved (sadly) and bagged accordingly, so the bulging is something I'll have to deal with. If I pull out a game in a few years and it's bad, well, I'll just blame it on my OCD and hopefully it's still playable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mary T.
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tssfulk wrote:
JohnnytheSkin wrote:
finally upgraded my gaming shelf to the giant Ikea Expedit that is so beloved here.

I don't like Expedit at all (but my wife does). I prefer the real wood with classic styling of Hemnes (http://www.ikea.com/se/sv/catalog/products/20176263/).

I don't like Expedit either. I decided to go with Bestå (http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/90134043/#/901021...). They are nice and deep.

I store my games horizontally because I've found things tend to fall out of the insert (cards, most notably) when stored on their side.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis da Ponte Alayza
Peru
Lima
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ludopoly wrote:
rmilanov wrote:

I did something similar with my copy of Havana. I used one of the punctured frames and place it on top of the insert so the manual won't bend. Gotta say, it works perfectly!.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Lochner
United States
Monroe
MI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What type of shelf is this? I quite like it. Is that the expedit? I've seen one on the ikea site and it didn't look like that.

hskrfn822 wrote:
Vertical. Unless it doesn't fit that way. If the components, i.e., cards, would spill out in the box, I put them in Plano boxes, baggies and/or deckboxes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.