Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I made the mistake of visiting Peterborough after work this evening, and my visit was brightened by a peek into The Works on Bridge St., who are selling quite a few games for £8 each. I picked up Hamburgum, Strozzi and Notre Dame for the price I'd normally pay for a single game, they also had Caylus, Maori, Highland Clans, Royal Palace, a five-pack of Rio Grande game expansions, and some other more-interesting-looking stuff that I've forgotten amongst the usual WHSmiths shelf-liners like Scene It?. The only thing I noticed wrong with any of them was that the shrink-wrap was a little torn... I guess some chain retailer bought up a load of eurogames and was disappointed with sales or something?

Still, if you're in the area and can stomach the Christmas-shopping crowds it's got to be worth a look. It's late-night opening every day until Christmas - Works seems to be open until 7 - and if you avoid Thursday, the normal late-night-shopping day, it's relatively quiet; there's even free parking in Queensgate after 5:30. It's like they're trying to encourage people to go shopping or something... ;-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice you could make it to the party

See this monster thread for discussion and full details:
The Works, UK - games available in shops

This geeklist states all games that have been included:
The Works £7.99 (and £4.99, and £9.99, etc.) Game Extravaganza Discussion List
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Roy
United Kingdom
Bath
GB
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice to see people are still getting that Christmasy feel from The Works sale (and that it's still going on)!

Definitely got my money's worth, based on how many times I've played the 5 games I got from there (in particular Notre Dame).

Just so nobody is expecting different, I believe that the Caylus game is Caylus Magna Carta and not Caylus

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dex Quest
United Kingdom
Maryport
Cumbria
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Liam - let's start a new thread here just to wind up that caffeine-addled old fart who keeps playing at BGG database manager on the big thread [tee -hee]

Well done on finding the games, Andrew - I'm with you on Notre Dame - it's such a great game - and good solo, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry for the duplication, I must admit I'd kind of discounted the Hot Deals forum after a couple of looks through 'cause it's always packed with US-only stuff, and I'd completely forgotten it existed! Nice to see there's some effort in there to organise some European deal-tracking...

And yes, you're right Andrew - it is Caylus Magna Carta; I couldn't remember by the time I got home and thought I remembered the regular Caylus box art.

I can only assume, looking at the original thread, that the Peterborough Works is really slow getting stuff out onto the shelves - or just slow at receiving stock. I definitely had a look in there late September, and again a few weeks back, and there was no sign of board games at all either time!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Sorry for the duplication.

Don't be - I was just playing. someone new will see this thread and be very happy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Roy
United Kingdom
Bath
GB
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
monkeyhandz wrote:
Quote:
Sorry for the duplication.

Don't be - I was just playing. someone new will see this thread and be very happy.

Just in case they don't shall I start a new one?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.