Greg Filpus
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Smells Like Victory: http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=2923

Explanation of team play, and General, (draw one card for every player that allies with you; allies may draw a card) that sounds a lot like what folks were discussing on the homebrew threads recently.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
General and Animal together make for a card-drawing frenzy when they win!

Yeah, we're gonna need a bigger deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm. After reading how it works it's hard for me to get excited by Team Cosmic, seems to me like it just reduces the intrigue in the alliance phase with one alliance invitation for every 2 players already determined? Maybe I'll appreciate it for really large games, but so far, it seems like a significantly weaker variant to me than the Rewards or Hazard deck

Of course I'm very very excited about the aliens and the new ship color, that's a given, so I'll be more than happy to pick this up as soon as it touches Earth...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Reda
United States
Herndon
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
Guess the games in my uberbadge!
badge
My favorite game is Cosmic Encounter.
mbmbmbmbmb
I expect that we will see a lot of pretty interesting Team Cosmic variants pop up by the boat load.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Team Cosmic should make big games seem smaller. By having four teams instead of eight individuals, the game should be less chaotic and more structured. You won't have to wait for the cone to get all the way back to you before you have a turn; your partner's turn is essentially your turn. Alliance invites will start off partly defined, which should help speed up the other decisions.

Comes the time when less adventurous Cosmic players have 6-8 players at once, Team Cosmic gives them a way to play without it feeling like utter and complete madness.

I plan to give it a whirl; I bet it'll be a good variant for large convention games. Also, it'd be a good handicapping method. If a game has 3 veteran players and 3 newbies, create 3 teams to make things seem more even. Also good fun for groups consisting of couples!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah I guess all of those situations do sound like a good opportunity to try out Team Cosmic, especially the 8 player game. With all the players being added (seems some people think it will stop at 8 but I'm actually hoping for even more?) I guess they had to make a simpler expansion that just adds new cards to the deck, and this is good timing to do that.

I had a strong feeling since I woke up this morning that there would be an update for either Cosmic Alliance or Wiz-War today, and I got both. Wahoo!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Homer Simpson
Israel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
General does sounds interesting. I guess that if it says "draw one card" without specifying that it has to be "from the Deck" means that it can be from the Reward Deck as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No, absolutely not. The Rewards deck rules are very clear -- you only draw from it when you are taking defensive rewards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miikka Sohlman
Finland
Lahti
flag msg tools
I live in the city of Gulf, on the shores of Lake Water. This fun fact has nothing to do with this badge you're pointing at.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"Afterwards, each of your allies may draw one card."

Umm, afterwards? When exactly? After the General draws his in Alliance phase or after the whole encounter?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Homer Simpson
Israel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kobold Curry Chef wrote:
No, absolutely not. The Rewards deck rules are very clear -- you only draw from it when you are taking defensive rewards.

The Rewards deck rules specifying when you usually get to gain them, No one said that you only get to gain them in THAT way. There are, in fact, some Aliens and Wild Flares that let you gain cards from the Rewards deck even if you weren't a defensive ally. When the designers of the game want something to target only the regular Deck they write "from THE Deck".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Head Zach
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
homertve wrote:
Kobold Curry Chef wrote:

The Rewards deck rules specifying when you usually get to gain them, No one said that you only get to gain them in THAT way. There are, in fact, some Aliens and Wild Flares that let you gain cards from the Rewards deck even if you weren't a defensive ally. When the designers of the game want something to target only the regular Deck they write "from THE Deck".

Actually, the rules have been interpreted by most to mean that unless the Rewards deck is specified as draw-able, or that the cards taken are done so as defensive ally rewards (like some alien powers stipulate), that you're to draw cards from the main Cosmic deck.

Rewards are named that way for a reason - they are special cards that can only be drawn for special reasons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just a Bill
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No, I said "oh, brother," not "go hover."
mbmbmbmbmb
Is anybody excited about the General's gameplay? We're a dozen posts into the thread and nobody's really said anything positive about the alien. (I'm not saying it's a bad alien; on the contrary, I find its lack of wording and gameplay problems very pleasing. I just don't see anybody going "yeah baby I want that".)

It's kind of surprising that they would show two aliens in a row that both encourage alliances with a card draw. I feel like I need another preview!

Anyway, to try to start a little discussion on the General: It's kind of interesting that this "mandatory" power is actually optional when it comes to the card draws. General is mandatorily forced to offer himself and his cohorts the choice to voluntarily draw cards.

I like the card-drawing, but it is one of those aliens that requires permission from other players. I'm thinking this is a power for large games only; in a four- or five-player game, it probably means (on average) you will get something like one extra card draw when you're a main player. And you have to give a free draw to somebody else in order to get that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Head Zach
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Initially I had the thought that this would offset the usual concerns one has with inviting others to get free stuff. If General is prepared to give multiple people free foreign colonies as offense, he should get something out of it himself.

As the defense, if I can't control how many ships allies will bring (and so the rewards they'll earn), then I'll invite everyone I can and try to grab 2-4 cards of my own. I see General being used to great effect as the defense, who normally just gets to sit there while his supporters get paid.

It can also be a better lure for the Negotiate bait-and-switch. If potential allies can get a card out of it, then they're less likely to be suspect of the main player's intentions.

As a veteran, this just means I limp in with one ship for my free card that much more often - at most I lose a ship for the effort (and depending on the aliens in play I'd gladly lose 10 ships one-at-a-time for a chance at 10 reasonably good cards...we can't all be Kamikaze), and at best I get a foreign colony or ANOTHER card draw, possibly from the Rewards deck.

But as a jaded sonofabitch who has slogged through numerous newbie games where "I invite everyone" is intoned so much you'd think you were at a Catholic Mass, I have to elicit a slight bit of apprehension at any power that encourages MORE sloppy inviting.

I'd be happier with General if the allying players didn't get cards out of the deal, but that's just a veteran-skewed perception.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
General is a simple, solid alien that doesn't really give much to talk about. It doesn't excite me overmuch, nor does it offend me. I'm not sure I'd bother with it in a game with fewer than 6 players, but time will tell.

What I have noticed straight off is that both Animal's and General's histories make references to movies from the late 1970s...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Reda
United States
Herndon
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
Guess the games in my uberbadge!
badge
My favorite game is Cosmic Encounter.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hipsu wrote:
"Afterwards, each of your allies may draw one card."

Umm, afterwards? When exactly? After the General draws his in Alliance phase or after the whole encounter?

Allies draw immediately after the General draws. All during the Alliance phase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
Bill Martinson wrote:
It's kind of surprising that they would show two aliens in a row that both encourage alliances with a card draw. I feel like I need another preview!

Indeed, revealing two powers in a row that are so similar seems like an odd choice. They should be trying to impress us with the variety of awesome aliens they're introducing; showing us two powers that are so much like each other together makes it look like they're running out of ideas. (I'm not saying they are running out of ideas, but that is what this preview decision makes it look like.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No, Roberta, it doesn't look like that at all unless you're kinda cynical. Which, admit it, you are!

It's all about following the theme. The first preview gave us the name, and it was natural that the first alien would suit the name of the expansion. The second preview talked about the big new rules variant, Team Cosmic. It would have been really weird to have a preview about Team Cosmic and then preview Schizoid or Gorgon, don't you think?

I have little doubt that the third preview will be for an alien that doesn't have much to do with alliances. I won't be shocked it references another movie from the '70s, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
Kobold Curry Chef wrote:
No, Roberta, it doesn't look like that at all unless you're kinda cynical. Which, admit it, you are!

Perhaps my word choice was poor, though I must admit I am indeed quite cynical. It would be more accurate to say that, when two similar powers are revealed in a row, the second one fails to excite me. It may not herald a lack of innovation, but it doesn't do much to spark much enthusiasm either.

Also, Schizoid + Team Cosmic actually sounds like a pretty interesting combination. You could make some fun rules that make use of the player pairings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
salty53 wrote:
Also, Schizoid + Team Cosmic actually sounds like a pretty interesting combination. You could make some fun rules that make use of the player pairings.

Ooooooh! Yeah, endless possibilities await there, especially since you can easily exceed 5 colonies in team play! I hadn't considered that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris O
msg tools
Pixeling ain't easy, but someone's gotta do it...
badge
LION OF JUDAH
mbmbmbmbmb
I really wish they changed the bonuses for Animal and General to not be the same.

I might just have to house-rule Animal's encounter-winning bonus to one "reward" instead of a card. This way you can regain a lost ship or grab a card from the reward deck.

As it is worded now it isn't much different from General at all. Another Observer/Zombie or Mercenary/Ghoul... bleh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam McLean
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the simplicity of General, although, I tend to enjoy aliens that have a more strategic edge to them. However, simple is good, especially when you have large groups and/or new players.

As far as the running theme, with both aliens (so far) leaning heavy toward the alliances .... it makes some sense, when FFG gave us an expansion with the Rewards Deck, many of the aliens in that set tended to be good for allying with the defense or gaining defender rewards in some way or another. With the addition of Team Cosmic, I suppose that several of the aliens will lend themselves to benefitting team/alliance play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
In brightest day / In blackest night / No evil shall escape my sight / Let those who worship evil's might / Beware my power--Green Lantern's light!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm excited for the team rules, as the game can get a bit... y'know, with too many people. I think the team rules will cut that down a good amount.

I'm a bit worried about the odd-player rule. It feels like the easier victory condition would (only need one player to win) would make up for the downsides.

I almost wonder if it wouldn't make more sense, and be more balanced, to have one of the teams be three players instead. They'll have more power than the other teams, but they also need to get three players to win then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.