Subject: Paints rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joshua Elliott
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm getting BOW for Christmas and I'd like to paint my miniatures. I've never painted minis before. I'm looking to get the Citadel hobby starter kit found here:

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?...

For those more experienced, does this seem like a good starting point? The colors seem well matched for the fiction. I was just curious to here your guy's thoughts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Pickard
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I think you will get good results with any decent craft or hobby acrylic, so long as you wash the figures in warm soapy water, let them dry completely, and use one of the new spray-on plastic primers before you even dip a brush in paint. I painted my Last Night on Earth characters over Rustoleum Plastic Primer and they painted up fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Dreske
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chris and I, too, started painting our minis, with no experience at all on my side, and Chris had painted metal minis some twenty years ago.
We got ourselves a Games Workshop Citadel starter kit and Chaos Black spray primer, and everything works fine.

Some pictures:
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/722906/tales-of-two-painting...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Gaskill
United States
Bridgeton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I use the GW paints,great color selection & no problems.
However the Starter kit is a bit of a rip.

You need the plastic glue & the paints(fig color choices are
of course up to you)but you would be better off picking up
the paints individually.

The clippers & PVA glue for the BoW figs are not needed,
nor is the tub of sand(the BoW bases are texured).The
starter brush may or may not fit your needs,a good detail & fine
detail brush works well .

I really think you would be better off using the $50 to
select the individual paints,brushes you really need.

And as previously mentioned a good spray primer & the
fig wash in a mild dish detergent is a must.

Good Luck...painting the minatures is one of the joys of
the hobby for me & it adds so much to the visual enjoyment
of the Game.

OD
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Stampley
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The games workshop stuff is good but over-priced to the point of it being a rip off. You can use the acrylic craft paint from Hobby Lobby or Michael's and get the same results if you thin it down with some water before use. One of the popular paint lines is called Apple Barrel,but there are others as well.

Also pick up a plastic palette for .99 cents to mix and thin yor paints and a 4 dollar pack of small brushes and you will be in business.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian McCarthy
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I use a 00 brush exclusively and a mixture of "pro" paints along with the craft variety. I find that certain colors are better from different companies and that discovering these nuances can make your job that much easier.

To share my experience, I find craft Black to be excellent. It's a handy color to have a lot of, so buy the cheap stuff from your local department store. For silver, I love Games Workshop Boltgun Metal. That silver is amazing, well worth the price. I also use Blood Red from GW. I have several varieties of Vallejo paints also, which I generally consider to be superior to Games Workshop paints. I particularly love their yellow, white, Saddle Brown (which I use as a base for Blood Red), Brown and Green. Also, I used a lot of Vallejo Bronze and Gold.

Once you get started, you will start to see why people prefer different paints, because different brands cover better and just look better without a lot of fuss. I have certain colors of Craft paints, like two different Silvers that are just total crap. They won't cover anything and, even after painting over the same spot five times, just won't look as smooth and nice as one coat of Boltgun Metal.

Don't forget that acrylics are semi-transparent. You need a base of white painted or sprayed on before you can paint that yellow or orange on there.

Also, for extra durability and ease of shading, try the dip method. Here is a Geeklist and the link will take you to a post where I described part of how I painted my Battles of Westeros figures, but I would advise you to check out the entire Geeklist:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/listitem/1386539?commentid=1719...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien Cassignol
France
Créteil
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FYI I decided to start painting as well and bought Prince August primer and medieval pack (plus a shadowy metal paint) and it's real fine (and seems to me cheaper in terms of price than Citadel stuff)

And obviously a shadowy wash :-)

That plus some kind of dry brush and the result is quite nice on the first fig (I started with Tully crossbowmen)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.