Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew Rooks
Japan
Kobe
Hyogo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For those who aren't on Yucata, but want to know, here are my HH stats after a few days worth of plays:

54 Wins 0 Losses
42 different defeated opponents
Ranked 1 out of 236 registered players

I have even more wins that don't show up because they were training games. At the very least, we're beginning to see some strong evidence that there is some credence behind the HH claims.

For the record, please understand that I'm not saying I'm the best player; on the contrary, I'm using a relatively mindless autopilot strategy that continually beats everything that has been thrown at it so far. Not a good sign for the game.

edits: periodic stat updates & added the links below that will show current statistics.

CLICK HERE FOR GAME LOGS

CLICK HERE FOR DETAILED USER STATS

CLICK HERE FOR OVERALL GAME RANKINGS
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavan Brown
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A very important experiment. I commend your efforts. Maybe this will end the debate of it's existence.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bestia immonda
Italy
Bologna
Bologna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh it's you! Im challenging you now as the french! let's see!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Gerrits
Belgium
Leuven
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't want to say anything pro or contra the viability of HH (I don't have enough experience with it) but most people playing now on yucata are completely new to the game. I wouldn't draw any conclusions from this so far except that it's a great strategy against neophytes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Scheuermann
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The problem is not related to Halifax. Not even Louisbourg.

Its just the easiest and fastest way to demonstrate how a broken mechanism work at its best.

The broken mechanism is the 5 (or very few more) card hand (including home suport) which let you earn 6 gold/action, buy any card AND use it in same turn (HS).

An alternative to conquer quebeck you could just earn money for the first turns (12 each turn with HS combo), take gouvernour, expand and keep your hand at 5-7. It works similiar to the gold creation machine.

If he start getting raiding stuff, take and use fortification (same turn) on the important points, if he goes military buy enough to defend (when its important) and use the military for your own after this.

So many possibilities and it will all work if you are skilled enough to use it!

You just need to counter everything the opponent player tries and use your big gold and small hand to your best advantage.

So guess what easier for 2 high skilled players: to just defend your win or try to stop the british in any way? First one is by far and that makes it so broken.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Scheuermann
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
A possible solution would be (I think often suggested):

a) only cards with military symbol can be placed in reserve. So location cards with ships/military are allowed, Pemaquid, St. Maries not!

b) give the british player another non-military card in starting hand. Something like settlers.

For sure this needs testing to be balanced but the fact having a 7 card deck + a easy way to get rid of non-military cards is key for the broken brits.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Rooks
Japan
Kobe
Hyogo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Runkst wrote:
I don't want to say anything pro or contra the viability of HH (I don't have enough experience with it) but most people playing now on yucata are completely new to the game. I wouldn't draw any conclusions from this so far except that it's a great strategy against neophytes.

At least half of the people I have played know what the HH is and play to defend it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bestia immonda
Italy
Bologna
Bologna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jigmelingpa wrote:
Runkst wrote:

At least half of the people I have played know what the HH is and play to defend it.

I can confirm it; Matthew, feel free to invite again after this ( not ranked maybe, just practise! ). I wanted to try other ways to put a wrench in the HH unstoppable wheels!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Dilloo
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
Everything is relative to perception, and your perception is limited.
badge
The Ginger Ninja
mbmbmbmbmb
Pretty impressive, I guess, even though you are a mindless, autopilot laugh

I have a few more ideas for you, but that losing French location bug has to go away. Wish my siege-back of Louisbourg would have worked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavan Brown
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Runkst wrote:

Assuming they are all noobs is an even wilder assumption. People don't generally play a boardgame for the first time online. In my experience, people who play boardgames online usually know the game quite well. At least, that's generally how it works on Order of the Hammer (Brass)

I believe I'm quite skilled at the French, so I'd like to play a few games against you, Matthew!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
jigmelingpa wrote:
edit: added the links below that will show updated statistics.

CLICK HERE FOR GAME LOGS

Is there some sort of trick to viewing game logs?

The map doesn't show for me, and there is no list of actions.

I can click the advance button and it shows the cards in hand, but that it for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Dilloo
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
Everything is relative to perception, and your perception is limited.
badge
The Ginger Ninja
mbmbmbmbmb
RoosterJuice wrote:
Runkst wrote:

Assuming they are all noobs is an even wilder assumption. People don't generally play a boardgame for the first time online. In my experience, people who play boardgames online usually know the game quite well. At least, that's generally how it works on Order of the Hammer (Brass)

I believe I'm quite skilled at the French, so I'd like to play a few games against you, Matthew!

Gavan, you can look for me too (bruceleroy33), I can run the HH about as well as Matt, and I have been working on French counters for awhile. I would be real curious to see how others approach this problem.

Ken

Edit: Spelling/grammar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Gerrits
Belgium
Leuven
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RoosterJuice wrote:
Runkst wrote:

Order of the Hammer is a site dedicated to just one (rather heavy) game. Yucata has more than 60 games (amongst which A Few Acres of Snow is definitely one of the most complex ones). It's a completely different kind of community.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leonardo Martino
Italy
Milano
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dude, You just hammered me on Yucata. I want to have fun on Yucata, not improve your silly statistic, whether Halifar hammer is unstoppable or not.

You should warn people playing with you on Yucata that you are always playing that way!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bestia immonda
Italy
Bologna
Bologna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kalevi1999 wrote:
Dude, You just hammered me on Yucata. I want to have fun on Yucata, not improve your silly statistic, whether Halifar hammer is unstoppable or not.

You should warn people playing with you on Yucata that you are always playing that way!

?

it is not a "forbidden" Hokuto technique!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry...why do you expect anyone to play the game any other way, if they're playing to win?

Seriously, this is why we've been complaining about the game for the past six months, for precisely this reason. Yes, we ALL want to have fun, but the game is broken (or broken-enough) and now you have to live with that until it's fixed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Eugene
Oregon
msg tools
mb
I suspect he was being facetious.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scholle
Australia
St Ives
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While it's been challenging playing as the French and getting repeatedly walloped, the game has turned into a bit of a solo puzzle trying to beat the system. (Feels a bit like I'm playing Friday.)

In any case, whether the game is fully broken or it's a one in 20 chance of pulling it off as the French, the narrow path of variation from game to game is turning a game of rich possibilities that can play very differently from game to game (the way I feel about Julius Caesar), into something less than its potential.

Broken or not, I'd welcome a 2nd Edition rules tweak from the designer to help make it exciting again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Santoro
Brazil
São Paulo
São Paulo
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
http://www.yucata.de/en/Game/FewAcresOfSnow/1853182

The game above lasted 42 rounds. I'm a newbie, having played only 5 times on the board, and I played against the ranking leader, with dozens of games as British.

I defended Louisburg succesful twice. I fortified Louisburg and, later, Quebec. We had a balanced war deck. Then I thought it was safe to try a settling rush. He got some Regular Infantry while I was buying Settler. He besieged Louisburg exactly when I would use that card to settle Canso. I mean, I made a middle-game mistake, I did not lost for the "Hammer"

Bear in mind: I'm a newbie against an expert. If, in the middle of the game, before I buy a Settler, we had changed the positions (he taking the French and I, the British), he should win the game with French.

What's wrong with the Hammer?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Rooks
Japan
Kobe
Hyogo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We didn't have a balanced war deck. If I recall correctly, you lost Port Royal, which I settled. You did successfully repel the Brits at Louisbourg, but happens frequently with the Hammer. As soon as you stop building up your military and buy something else, LB falls very quickly. Good game! Unfortunately, nothing new was learned here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabrio Secco
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
how can I read Yucata logs in a decent way? How can I know what move was made?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Rooks
Japan
Kobe
Hyogo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Unfortunately right now only cards and sieges can be viewed. Apparently that will be fixed soon though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
PauloSantoro wrote:
I mean, I made a middle-game mistake, I did not lost for the "Hammer"

But I argue that's exactly the issue.

Properly played, and with some good card draws, French can defend militarily. However, they can't win that way. As soon as the French do anything else but defend, they increase their risk of losing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Plourde
Canada
Windsor
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wich is quite thematic actually, as it is exactly what happened in real life shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Apex
CT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Martin518 wrote:
Wich is quite thematic actually, as it is exactly what happened in real life shake

This makes no sense. Framing a game with historical parameters or theme is all good. But if you want a literal simulation with no chance for the historical loser in the conflict to win, then just read a history book on the period and don't bother playing the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [11] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.