Fighting for Virginia» Forums » Rules

Subject: Questions from our second game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]

Eugene
Oregon
msg tools
mb
Made it into the second year this time, when near the end my Confederate forces looked so beleaguered that I decided to concede. The dice proved very significant in our game, and I sensed a bit of runaway leader, as suffering a bad beat in a battle just makes one weaker for the counterattack that's sure to follow, making VP for the stronger side that much easier.

Our first question had to do with occupied markers. A Confed army moved onto a Union town and occupied it. On the Union player's turn, it moved to attack that army and managed to eliminate it (no retreat path!). Does the occupied marker stay?

Recapturing a town, does this happen when an army lands on and stops moving, or is merely passing over an occupied marker sufficient to recapture the town?

The fog-of-war aspect is very fiddly. I've used both the cut-out SP supplied with the game and some small numbered bits from my own supplies, and neither proved very satisfactory. Picking up fallen SP markers seems to be consuming more time than it should, and I really question whether the fog of war is really necessary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Lee
United Kingdom
Wymondham
Norfolk
flag msg tools
designer
Very interesting comments Gary. Actually I've been playing the game a lot with my son over the last 2 days, no school and bad weather being an ideal situation!

1) Confeds need to be protecting their forces and not making rash attacks. Although in the first few turns they can consider attacking more, as the Union cities have no garrisons and the increasing numbers of blue have not started to take full effect. Also use the movement advantage and terrain to avoid trouble. Raids into the North can be very effective at tying up blue armies as they chase the gray ghosts around the northern Shenandoah valley. I won a game and lost a game as the confeds yesterday. Sure if you roll a lot of "1"s or "6"s this will impact on that game!! That's how it was in reality, the best prepared plans can get screwed up by ill fortune. Statistically, the dice will even themselves out.

2) capturing towns is described in 4.3 and 4.4. Basically gray army lands on blue town - firstly the gray army has to STOP on that town before a gray/white occupied marker can be placed on the town. That choice is for the player, it may be for example more important to reach a destination beyond the town so the gray army passes through the town, in which case it is NOT "occupied". Assuming the gray army does stay on the blue town by the end of the confed movement phase, the gray/white marker is not yet placed on the town, this only occurs at the end of the Confed turn, i.e. after the combat phase of that turn. For instance by moving onto the blue town the gray army may be moving into a BZ of 1 or more blue enemy forces, thus initiating combat from which the gray army may have to retreat and hence fall back from the blue town. So to occupy a town you have to land on it, stay on it and remain on it until the end of your turn.

In your scenario, the occupied marker remains until a blue force physically lands on the town and stays there until the turn ends as described above.

3) Actually on the same rule, 2 things emerged from my games yesterday that are not clear in the rules:
a) Can an army "occupy" a town as a result of retreating from a battle? My view is NO. Sides can only occupy an enemy town by landing on it via its own movement phase and staying on it until the end of that players turn. NB for a Union to occupy a grey town it does not have to wait until the end of the entire turn, just the end of the Union player's turn.
b) more seriously, in the rules it states that if the Union "captures" a confed city it wins the game. And vice versa for the confed side. This should read "occupies". As you know to "capture" a town / city is only achieved at the end of the year. If a blue army manages to land on say Richmond and can stay on Richmond until the end of the players turn (i.e. after the combat phase) the Union has won. Same for the confed in occupying a blue city.
Its hard enough to take Richmond as it is without having to wait until the end of the year!! Plus in 1865 there are no end of year actions anyhow!!

I will obviously clarify this in the next edition of the rules along with several of the points you have raised, for which I am most grateful.

4) fog of war: The fiddly nature of the counters was a worry to me and my playtesters, having thin fingers does help but limits its wide appeal!! I've got used to it by now. I have thought of other options, including magnetised counters and having cubes with numbers printed on them which can be concealed. I do feel that the fog of war is a significant attraction to the game, adding to the fun and the realism so would be determined to maintain the feature. Any ideas on cheap and effective ways of replacing the counter on top of a block would be most welcome.

I hope that you are still managing to enjoy playing the game, despite all the ambiguities. Although they are all minor it can be irritating having to interpret rules. My aim was to create a "simple to play" game, a bit more involved than say BattleCry, but even the simple "move and fight" structure throws up many scenarios which need to be explained.

Rob

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob James
United States
Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Counter sleds from X2.
Works great, your won't know if you are attacking a three strength Unit or a four , etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob James
United States
Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say once a unit captures Washington, it would be enough that foreign intervention would occur and not needing to hold till a end of year.
Same for Richmond and foreign intervention for sure not coming. Other two cities, well ??? As to if they should count as auto, but following the rules, "captures" is oops there it is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.