Popular Tags: [View All]
Rick Kowal
United States
Roselle
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been wanting this game for quite some time, when the first edition was out of print. I almost caved a few times and bought it used. I kept checking online to see when 2nd edition was truly coming out. I would have pre-ordered it, but I do like supporting my local game store when I can.

At any rate, I strolled into the local store on Friday morning and there it was. The last copy of WotR 2nd Edition. I paced around the store, debating if I was willing to buy it that day. It wasn't so much the money, it was more of the knowledge that I will be eventually painting 200+ miniatures. I ended up saying, "#$*$ it," and bought it. Thanks to a frequent buyer program my friendly local game shop has, I saved $20 off of it as well! It was meant to be!

I got home and opened the box...and I don't know if it was my attention deficient disorder kicking in or what, but the rule book looked as if it were written in Swahili(I am not making a comment on the content, just my state of mind at the time).

So it sat there for three days. I finally decided to crack the boards open and start looking at the minis. Then I decided to look at the rules again, checking to see if anything was missing. Before you know it, I am setting up the board, and within the next hour, I was starting to test play the game.

The reason why I am wrote this long winded and inane post was to say thanks to Ares Games for re-releasing this game. It finally set in that the game I was waiting for to come back out is in my collection now and it was everything that I was hoping it would be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto Di Meglio
Italy
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, thank YOU for buying our game (and your FLGS for stocking it)!
But did you actually went through your first playing of the game?
Was the gameplay up to your expectations?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Oswego
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well-said. I, too joined the world of modern board games after War of the Ring went out of print, and I have been anticipating obtaining a copy. I bought this on release day, which was a day I had been waiting for for a very long time. It's everything I have hoped it to be.

I've only played one game so far, but it was against my 10 year old son, who doesn't play many games, and he listed it as his favorite to date (ahead of Twilight Struggle and Quarriors!). The rule book is fantastic both aesthetically and the layout. It was very straightforward for the two of us to learn it.

The size of the board - wonderful. The miniatures - amazing. Heck, even the insert is functional. And oh, by the way, the game is pretty excellent. I am impressed. A job well-done. I look forward to future Ares releases.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
X Topher
United States
Highland
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bilson wrote:

I've only played one game so far, but it was against my 10 year old son, who doesn't play many games, and he listed it as his favorite to date (ahead of Twilight Struggle and Quarriors!).

10 year old...Twilight Struggle...War of the Ring....surprise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
Is the insert better than the old, or the same?

I need to get that new card tin . . .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Kowal
United States
Roselle
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cybernex wrote:

I actually didn't get to finish playing, but yes, the gameplay was definitely up to my expectations! I just wanted to get the hang of it for when I introduce it to my friends.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Kowal
United States
Roselle
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I am totally getting the tin, mainly for the sleeves for the cards..man they are big!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evgeny Reznikov
Israel
Haifa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
scifiantihero wrote:
Is the insert better than the old, or the same?

I need to get that new card tin . . .

The insert is the same, AFAIK.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Richbourg
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
This is Kyoshi, our adopted Shiba Inu.
mbmbmbmbmb
No, the card section is larger, to hold the larger cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evgeny Reznikov
Israel
Haifa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I meant that it's the same layout as the old insert.
I doubt that changing the size of the card section to accommodate the new cards made it "better".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Hilton
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cybernex wrote:

Speaking as another newbie, I spent 16 hours playing WOTR this weekend after just getting it, and I feel like I'm just barely getting started.

Thanks for a wonderful game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.