Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Madhujith Venkatakrishna
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just wanted to know if this analogy is good as I don;t want to own versions just for small changes.

Basically my analogy is Steam is a slightly easier version of AoS and AoI is an easier version of Brass.

I currently own Brass and Steam.

Thanks for the thoughts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
General Norris
Spain
flag msg tools
mb
The differences are more than difficulty but yeah, they are kind of redundant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
β€œIt's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
Your observation is right.

Although:

AoI is great because it offers variety with 2 different maps and two more available as expansion set.

I prefer AoS over Steam every time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Your base analogy is correct, but difficulty is not the primary difference. Steam and Age of Industry are far more tactical games. Age of Steam and Brass are long-term strategy games. Although, I suppose tactical games are inherently easier for new players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Are you aware of the dangers foxes pose to you and
Sweden
flag msg tools
Help, I'm being held prisoner in an overtext typing facility! I don't have much time, they could find out at any m
badge
I'm that weirdo whose number of badges sold prior to yesterday Bail Organa is keeping track of
mbmbmbmb
Age of Seam is to Seamster as Sewing Barons is to Embroidery II.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stewart Pilling
United Kingdom
Worsley
Manchester
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AoI is not as complex as Brass and it is also being expanded, where Brass is not. AoI is also a quicker game and can play upto 5.

There is very little difference between Steam and AoS. Steam exists because of a dispute between different companies. When it was tested and devloped the luck of the dice rolling was taken out of Steam. Also the point and income track was modified, for the better in my opinion.

There is an arguement for getting AoI if you have Brass, it all depends on if you would want a slightly different version of Brass that can be expanded, plays upto 5 and is quicker.

I would not bother with AoS, there is very little difference between the 2 games. I really like AoS, but sold my copy for lots of Euros, just before Steam came out as I knew that I would be unlikey to play AoS again with Steam in my collection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anson Bischoff
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly the standard game in Steam is not really so different from Age of Steam. Most people play the basic rules and compare those to AoS, but in reality Steam comes with 2 different games. One of them is very different and way easier than AoS. In the standard game however, the only real differences are the way goods are put on the board and the difference between the income and points tracks. These differences do make it easier to survive though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmb
They must have some sort of connecting thread, because as me a big Wallace fan, find that I like those titles of his the least.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The "standard" rules feel broken in Steam, especially due to the way good are placed on board. I would never again be convinced to pay Steam using the AoS rules. The base rules, however, are moderately interesting and fair.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.