Popular Tags: [View All]
Craig Duncan
United States
Ithaca
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Standard poker dice rules give people three rolls to create the best hand possible, allowing you to re-roll any dice you wish on your second or third rolls.

An English relative of mine, though, has a poker dice set that came with instructions describing a somewhat different procedure.

In this procedure, as usual, you get up to a maximum of three rolls (one initial roll and two re-rolls if needed), but in your second re-roll you cannot roll more dice than the first re-roll. So for instance if on your first re-roll you re-roll three dice, then you cannot re-roll four or five dice in your next (and last) re-roll.

ALSO, the next player, on his turn to roll, cannot take more rolls in total than the first player took So, if the first player re-rolled only once, then each subsequent player for that "hand" can only re-roll once. (In this case, though the printed instructions that came with the set do not mention this, players will need to rotate the first roller position with each subsequent hand, and play as many hands as there are players, to even out the first roller advantage.)

Has anyone else seen rules like this for poker dice? A Google search turned up only one mention of this set of rules (at a British online shop). That suggests to me that it is not a common variant.

(I did find one other place that mentioned the rule about the second re-roll not using more dice than the first re-roll, but this place did not mention the rule about subsequent players having no more re-rolls than the first player. So it wasn't quite the same game.)

The slightly greater complexity of this variant could make for a more interesting game, perhaps...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kolja Geldmacher
Germany
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't say that i have heard of such a rule, but your guess about more suspense in gameplay may be correct...
KG
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El Lic
Mexico
MTY NL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cdunc123 wrote:
ALSO, the next player, on his turn to roll, cannot take more rolls in total than the first player took So, if the first player re-rolled only once, then each subsequent player for that "hand" can only re-roll once.

Has anyone else seen rules like this for poker dice? A Google search turned up only one mention of this set of rules (at a British online shop). That suggests to me that it is not a common variant.

The slightly greater complexity of this variant could make for a more interesting game, perhaps...

It's a common rule to me. That's the way it's played down here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
FWIW I have an old set with rules that say that a player simply has only one reroll.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.