Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Roger Howell
United States
Lenexa
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like this game, but it's just a little too complicated (too many decisions) for my playing partner. Can anyone suggest a similar game that is perhaps a bit lighter? We do play Oregon and we really like it, but the combat element is missing, which is something I am looking for.

Thanks in advance!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcelo Galvao
Brazil
Atibaia
Sao Paulo
flag msg tools
With the same theme and a bit lighter, I believe - since I've never played it - the choice is Deadwood.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Ober
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll second Marcelo's call for Deadwood. I've played both and while I'll probably pull Carson City out again, it really suffers from the fiddliness of the income track. Deadwood has the worker placement mechanic and the combat is actually more fun - tense and exciting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pastuzyn
United States
Midland
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are two off-the-wall suggestions for you to look at:

* World Without End - this is the "sequel" to The Pillars of the Earth and is more streamlined. I've played it with two and like it. It may trip your fiddiliness meter, though. Most of the conflict is in area control and denial.
* Alien Frontiers - Clever use of dice durin ghte game as you try to colonize a planet. The board is quite restricted with two. The use of the "plasma cannon" willl allow you to get rid of people who might be in your way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Howell
United States
Lenexa
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We tried Deadwood, it was terrible with 2 people. I was disappointed as I thought the game might be the answer (and I love the western theme in games.) I have Alien Frontiers on my wishlist (I believe it's out of print right now. I also heard with 2 players it has a runaway leader problem.) I was just looking at World Without End at my game store last weekend. I'll look it that one again.

Thanks everyone!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.